"Special Edition" Tribute Legacy pickups?

Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:30 am

Hey everyone,

I'm new around here, and looking to buy my first G&L.

I had my eye on a Tribute Legacy, but then I noticed the "Special Edition" versions in black and white, which are $150 cheaper. I can't seem to find much information on them though. As far as I can tell, they're identical aside from the fact that the bodies are basswood (instead of ash in the "standard" version), and they don't seem to use the CLF-100 pickups. All the descriptions I've seen say something like "G&L-designed single-coil Alnico V," but they don't say much more than that.

I was hoping folks here might have some more details. Does anyone know how they sound compared to the CLF-100 equipped "standard" Tribute Legacy? Is it worth spending the extra $150 for the real-deal pickups and ash body?

Thanks!

Re: "Special Edition" Tribute Legacy pickups?

Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:51 am

OneRoomStudios wrote:Hey everyone,

I'm new around here, and looking to buy my first G&L.

I had my eye on a Tribute Legacy, but then I noticed the "Special Edition" versions in black and white, which are $150 cheaper. I can't seem to find much information on them though. As far as I can tell, they're identical aside from the fact that the bodies are basswood (instead of ash in the "standard" version), and they don't seem to use the CLF-100 pickups. All the descriptions I've seen say something like "G&L-designed single-coil Alnico V," but they don't say much more than that.

I was hoping folks here might have some more details. Does anyone know how they sound compared to the CLF-100 equipped "standard" Tribute Legacy? Is it worth spending the extra $150 for the real-deal pickups and ash body?

Thanks!

Yes, the Tribute MF/GC Limited Edition Legacy single coil pickups are wound at the Cort facility in Indonesia to G&L specifications of the CLF-100 pickups.
Also, the Tribute MF/GC Limited Edition Legacy HSS's humbucker bridge pickup is wound at the Cort facility in Indonesia to G&L specifications of the G&L AW4370B humbucker.
See these posts in our Knowledgebase: 2015-present MF/GC Exclusive Tribute Models and List of pickups used in G&L guitars.

When the MF/GC Tributes first came out, I talked with Paul Gagon about those pickups being built to G&L specifications and he said the Cort facility pickups were equal to the CLF-100
made at the G&L Fullerton factory.

Hope this helps.

Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:20 pm

It does immensely, thanks!

One more related question - do you happen to know if standard "strat" pickup covers fit over these or US-made CLF-100 pickups? If not, do you know where I could find cream/parchment colored pickup covers that would fit? Thanks again!

Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:45 pm

OneRoomStudios wrote:It does immensely, thanks!

One more related question - do you happen to know if standard "strat" pickup covers fit over these or US-made CLF-100 pickups? If not, do you know where I could find cream/parchment colored pickup covers that would fit? Thanks again!

Yes, I believe they do.