zZounds - TWO defective L2000 Tribute basses in one week.

Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:26 pm

This past Monday I received my new G&L L2000 Tribute bass from zZounds, which I returned due to the knobs being installed crooked and being very stiff to turn. Well, today I received my replacement bass, and was horrified to find that the volume knob was smashed through the wood, and one of the switches was completely snapped off. I ordered a bass from them last year and all was well, so I had no qualms about placing another order, and was willing to accept that the first L2000 may just have been a rare lemon. Not so, it seems. They offered me yet ANOTHER replacement, which I declined, and besides, there are no more in stock until January. I was suspicious as soon as I opened the outer shipping box, as there was no factory G&L box this time like there was on the first defective one. Now I have to wait for a refund and they say they'll give me 50 dollars in credit, which I suppose I'll use to buy some strings... definitely not another bass! Just a word of warning to anyone considering this vendor. I'll be going through Sweetwater next time, I guess.

Re: zZounds - TWO defective L2000 Tribute basses in one week

Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:55 pm

Ouch!
Someone dropped the ball on that one.
Hopefully your next bass find is sweeter than expected.

thx for the heads up.

Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:56 am

That is obviously shipping damage.
My guess is that someone previously returned the bass and no one at the warehouse checked it before sending it out to you. Several online retailers are known to be guilty of such dereliction.

Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:56 am

Yup, damaged in shipping which may or may not have happened in shipment to you. I've always had good luck buying through zZounds but it seems someone was a little careless with this second one either by not inspecting it or not packing it well enough.

As for G&L control knobs. I've found that they're often pushed on a bit too far and contact the surface of the instrument or control plate. Lifting them just a bit solves that problem. That could also be why they were somewhat crooked. That can be fixed too.

I had a Carvin bass shipped to me with a similar issue with the control section stove in and collapsed. Since the bass was not in the finish I had ordered I've long suspected they shipped me an already damaged bass they could file an insurance claim on.

Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:51 pm

Got my refund today. I hope this company steps up their game.