Locking tuners on Tributes

Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:46 am

Hey everyone,

I know it’s been asked a million times, but why not a million and one times?

Are there any drop in locking tuners for asat gl tributes? Besides hip shots with the plate, are there any other options?

Re: Locking tuners on Tributes

Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:22 am

NewEngland45 wrote:Hey everyone,

Are there any drop in locking tuners for asat gl tributes? Besides hip shots with the plate, are there any other options?

Yes, see this recent post on the same topic: Locking Tuners for new (2021) Tribute Comanche.

You can also use the forum Search, too. ;)

Hope this helps.

Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:15 am

Thanks, I appreciate the reply. I do know how to use the search but that’s not what I’m looking for. It’s 2021 and information changes quickly. I’m looking for the most up-to-date information including stuff that may not have been posted in the thread before. My guitar is out a couple of months old.

Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:40 pm

I might add that Hipshot tuners "with the plate" (the UMP) actually do not fit G&L guitars, unless you modify the UMP (or unless something has changed in the last year or so). Even though UMP stands for universal mounting plate, the distance between the holes does not match up with G&L guitars. After trying it on a couple G&Ls, I actually contacted Hipshot and they confirmed that it would not fit a G&L. I do know that some people have modified it though, to make it fit.

David

Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:45 am

Your post isa huge help! I have hipshot Twitter is downstairs in the basement on a project guitar, I was going to remove them today and try to put them on this G&L. You saved me a huge headache! I know it’s a shame because these G&L tuners are actually really good, I think they are better than Grovers. I just need that easy string change action.

dhgleaves wrote:

I might add that Hipshot tuners "with the plate" (the UMP) actually do not fit G&L guitars, unless you modify the UMP (or unless something has changed in the last year or so). Even though UMP stands for universal mounting plate, the distance between the holes does not match up with G&L guitars. After trying it on a couple G&Ls, I actually contacted Hipshot and they confirmed that it would not fit a G&L. I do know that some people have modified it though, to make it fit.

David

Tribute s500 Locking Tuners- drop-in?

Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:05 pm

Well I apologize in advance, as I have searched around here, but are there drop in locking tuners for the 2020 Tribute S500? I have Sperzels on my old Skyhawk and prefer them over other tuners but if there is a brand that would drop in without modifying the headstock I'd sure appreciate if anyone can fill me in. Sorry Craig if this has already been answered- I kept finding the hit on the Comanches. Thanks!

Re: Tribute s500 Locking Tuners- drop-in?

Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:21 pm

crabbj wrote:Well I apologize in advance, as I have searched around here, but are there drop in locking tuners for the 2020 Tribute S500? I have Sperzels on my old Skyhawk and prefer them over other tuners but if there is a brand that would drop in without modifying the headstock I'd sure appreciate if anyone can fill me in. Sorry Craig if this has already been answered- I kept finding the hit on the Comanches. Thanks!

Yes, see this recent post on the same topic: Locking Tuners for new (2021) Tribute Comanche. I mentioned this earlier in this thread, too. So check it out.

Hope this helps.

Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:16 am

Just thought I'd add some info on this thread from experience.
I've just purchased a new G&L S500 Tribute (in the Irish Ale colour) and as part of the purchase knew I wanted locking tuners.
I found from other internet sites that the Graphtech Ratio tuners are direct drop in's without any modification to the guitar.
Well, I did read somewhere (which was incorrect) that Hipshot Tuners with the Universal Mounting Plate works as well.
So I purchased some Hipshots to install on my new G&L instead of the Ratio's (due to reading quite a lot of negative reviews) and love Hipshots which I've had before on an Aristides guitar I once owned.

Well, the UMP plate is not the right size for the G&L holes, but only by a fraction. I did however manage to install them with the UPM plate without any modification. The UMP plate comes in two 3 hole sections. When installing I found rather than resting the plate on the headstock and putting the tuners in which won't work, I put the tuner into the plate first and align the first and third tuners into the holes leaving the middle hole free. One of the tuners will obviously go into fine, the other you need to put a little force into it (I actually sprained my hand doing so being a weed! lol) but managed to get the tuner in at a slight angle, then I used a ratchet to tighten up the bolts on the tuners and you can bring the wonky tuner inline. I was so relived.
It's a bit of a chore but Hipshots with UPM does work on G&L Tribute guitars. They will also fit nicely without the plate but you'll need to put the screws in and thus make a modification.

Here's my guitar fitted with Hipshots on the UMP plate. Be careful not to put too much force into it and bend or snap the plates as they are made of very thing metal that will bend easily.

https://app.box.com/s/xyokt43zy1vqaem81l3ocng2w04ifjzq

Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:26 pm

I haven't tried it, but there is a post on this forum that states Kiesel CLT6C tuners are a drop in fit for Tribute guitars. Supposedly they no longer show on their website but if you contact them they will sell them. Again, I haven't tried them.

Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:22 pm

Thanks for the replies. I wound up going with the Graph Tech PRL-8721-C0 tuners. So far so good. No mods needed.

Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:30 am

I have been waaaaay down this rabbit hole, followed every trail. As of the date of my writing there is exactly ONE drop-in, no-mod locking tuner replacement for Tribute series tuners: Graph Tech RATIO tuners. And I can confirm from personal experience that they work work beautifully!

Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:40 am

Thank you for the followup- and that is exactly what I purchased in 2021!

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ary-chrome

Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:26 am

Another source for them, just posted by another member, see:
locking tuners for Tribute series