ASAT deluxe tribute

Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:16 pm

I love the sound of a Les Paul, but I love the price and build of an ASAT tribute. If I replaced the stock pickups with Gibsons, do you think I’d get a close LP sound?

Re: ASAT deluxe tribute

Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:48 pm

Interesting question. First, I'm assuming you're thinking about Gibson P90s? If so, the P90 is quite a bit wider than the ASAT soapbar, but not as long. So, you'd have to rout the pickup cavities wider (as you definitely would for Gibson humbuckers). (BTW, I measured my P90 Les Paul and ASAT Jr.)

Sonically? Body wood would factor—mahogany and/or maple would be closer than ash or alder.

Scale lengths differences might have some effect.

Maybe try a Tribute ASAT Jr. with G&L's P90s or ASAT Deluxe with their humbuckers.

Re: ASAT deluxe tribute

Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:47 am

Thanks for the reply. I actually meant the HB creation of a Les Paul. I would like to get a Jr eventually, but only if they add the saddle lock bridge. My idea was more of using the ace at the luxe and taking out the stock pick ups and putting in gifts to pick up some trying to get a Gibson like sound since it has a mahogany body and maple cap.

tomanche wrote:Interesting question. First, I'm assuming you're thinking about Gibson P90s? If so, the P90 is quite a bit wider than the ASAT soapbar, but not as long. So, you'd have to rout the pickup cavities wider (as you definitely would for Gibson humbuckers). (BTW, I measured my P90 Les Paul and ASAT Jr.)

Sonically? Body wood would factor—mahogany and/or maple would be closer than ash or alder.

Scale lengths differences might have some effect.

Maybe try a Tribute ASAT Jr. with G&L's P90s or ASAT Deluxe with their humbuckers.