ASAT Classic Tribute Issues

Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:51 pm

My ASAT Legacy Tribute Limited Edition arrive Thursday March 25, 2021. It is really pretty and the price was right. I do have a few issues and asking advice. Ash body, satin maple neck, Alnico V pickups.

1. There is a static sound through the amp when my hand or fingers touch the pick guard. I tried different cables and amps. Could there be a ground connection loose in the guitar? Do I need to add shielding to the underside of the pick guard?

2. I lowered the action as much as I could. Just a bit over 4/64 on the high E is the lowest I could go before it frets out. Mostly above the 10th fret. I am not a luthier or have many tools. The high E sounds a little anemic compared to the B string. Is this normal? Any comments or should I take it to the shop?

3. The finger board gets dirty fast. I thought the factory strings may have been a little dirty. When I did my setup and changed strings, I had to use naptha to get the dirt off. After playing about 1 hour on the new strings, the finger board was gettting dirty again. Instant relic. Not sure I should put anything on the board

4. This guitar sounds great! Just need to get rid of the static and play it more to see about the setup.
Last edited by BoogieMK2 on Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: ASAT Legacy Tribute Issues

Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:47 pm

BoogieMK2 wrote:My ASAT Legacy Tribute Limited Edition arrive Thursday March 25, 2021. It is really pretty and the price was right. I do have a few issues and asking advice. Ash body, satin maple neck, Alnico V pickups.

1. There is a static sound through the amp when my hand or fingers touch the pick guard. I tried different cables and amps. Could there be a ground connection loose in the guitar? Do I need to add shielding to the underside of the pick guard?

2. I lowered the action as much as I could. Just a bit over 4/64 on the high E is the lowest I could go before it frets out. Mostly above the 10th fret. I am not a luthier or have many tools. The high E sounds a little anemic compared to the B string. Is this normal? Any comments or should I take it to the shop?

3. The finger board gets dirty fast. I thought the factory strings may have been a little dirty. When I did my setup and changed strings, I had to use naptha to get the dirt off. After playing about 1 hour on the new strings, the finger board was gettting dirty again. Instant relic. Not sure I should put anything on the board

4. This guitar sounds great! Just need to get rid of the static and play it more to see about the setup.

First is the model a Tribute ASAT or a Tribute Legacy? ;)
I'm thinking it is a Tribute ASAT Classic Alinco LE, right? Please post some photos, so we know which one it is.

1. It sounds like you are having static issues with the pickguard. A number of members here over the years have solved it with rubbing
the pickguard with a anti-static dryer sheet or in the case of a Legacy/S-560/Comanche model, putting a crumpled up sheet under the pickguard
in the bathtub route. Also, check out this post for a more permanent solution: Static Noise- Shielded S-500- With Pictures.

2. Start with the factory setup, see one of these posts depending on the type of bridge:
Current Factory setup for G&L guitars with hardtail bridges.
Current Factory setup for G&L guitars with vibrato bridges.
Also, check this post out to make sure your neck alignment is right: String alignment issues and a simple cure.

3. The Tribute Series necks with satin finish are very thinly finished (many think there is no finish on them).

4. See above. ;)

Hope this helps.

Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:54 am

This is an import Tribute. I will get pics to a location where I can share.

For the setup, I looked at the links and adjusted as I could. I did notice you have to be careful adjusting the saddle heights and make sure the two screws are the same height in a saddle.

I had the static issue on a Squire Strat that took shielding and grounding the pick guard to cure. I assume the Legacy may not be shielded and grounded, asking to see if anyone knows. Will try the dryer sheet, easy to do.

Yes, the neck finish is very thin to the point one may think it does not exist. Surprised it discolored so quickly after new strings and washed hands. It will just looked broken in for me!

Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:51 am

[thumb=500,500] https://imgur.com/gallery/LLPPp7F[/thumb]

Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:43 pm

I pulled off the control plate to look at shielding. The cavity was painted black, apparently conductive paint. I thought the guitar was quiet excepting the pick guard static. Next string change I will add aluminum tape to the bottom of the pick guard and check to see if the other cavities are shielded and make some resistance measurements.

Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:33 pm

BoogieMK2 wrote:[thumb=500,500] https://imgur.com/gallery/LLPPp7F[/thumb]

I was waiting for more pictures of your guitar because the one picture you linked to is not helpful in identify the Tribute model you have.
There is no ASAT Legacy Tribute ... it's either a Tribute ASAT, of which there are various ones, such as Tribute ASAT Classic, Tribute ASAT Classic Bluesboy. or Tribute ASAT Special. Or it is a Tribute Legacy. Your picture is labelled as "ASAT Tribute neck", but it would have been helpful if you showed us the complete neck with headstock. I still don't know what model it is.

BoogieMK2 wrote:I pulled off the control plate to look at shielding. The cavity was painted black, apparently conductive paint. I thought the guitar was quiet excepting the pick guard static. Next string change I will add aluminum tape to the bottom of the pick guard and check to see if the other cavities are shielded and make some resistance measurements.

If it is statc electricity from the pickguard why not try rubbing the pickguard with a dryer anti-static sheet as a temporary solution and to comfirm
the it is static electricity causing the noise?

Re: Limited Edition Tribute ASAT Issues

Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:43 am

Working on getting more pictures to show, just joined recently.

This I from Musician's Friend, their description is "G&L Limited Edition Tribute ASAT Classic Ash Body Electric Guitar
Gloss Natural". Will drop the Legacy, must have mixed it up with Tribute.

I have researched the static issue on the pickguard and being an EE, believe a grounded conductive layer will be the permanent fix. In any case, have not yet seen info on how these guitars are shielded. Will pop parts next string change and take photos to share.

Re: Limited Edition Tribute ASAT Issues

Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:40 pm

BoogieMK2 wrote:Working on getting more pictures to show, just joined recently.

This I from Musician's Friend, their description is "G&L Limited Edition Tribute ASAT Classic Ash Body Electric Guitar
Gloss Natural". Will drop the Legacy, must have mixed it up with Tribute.

I have researched the static issue on the pickguard and being an EE, believe a grounded conductive layer will be the permanent fix. In any case, have not yet seen info on how these guitars are shielded. Will pop parts next string change and take photos to share.

Ok, we are familiar with this LE model, which we call the "Tribute ASAT Classic Alnico LE" in our G&L Registry.
Reference post in the G&L Knowledgebase forum: 2015-present MF/GC Exclusive Tribute Models.
Here is a photo of this guitar:
To learn more about the G&L Alnico V Tele style single coils, see: List of pickups used in G&L guitars.

Hope this helps.

Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:36 pm

Thanks. I found that description from the info you provided in a reply to my introduction. Here are some links to Imgur pics from mine. The ash is very pretty on all the pictures I have seen. And to repeat, the Alnico V pickups sound great.

[timage=“500,500”] https://i.imgur.com/HCAiZW0.jpg[/timage]
[timage=“500,500”] https://i.imgur.com/VVIRYG6.jpg[/timage]

And the dirt on the fingerboard from playing, instant relic look.

[timage=“500,500”] https://i.imgur.com/uc2n3XO.jpg[/timage]

Re: ASAT Classic Tribute Issues

Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:39 am

I tried the dryer sheet on the pick guard tip and it worked! Had to apply a few times and made sure to get the area under the strings.

Will see how long it lasts. Still thinking to add aluminum tape under the pick guard.