Upgrading the switch and pots on MF Special Legacy

Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:07 pm

Hello,

I have a Musician's Friend (MF) Special Legacy (c. 2016, I think) that I love almost every aspect of, with the strong exception of a noisy five-way switch. I am wondering what are the possibilities for upgrading such? And if I do that, I am thinking of also upgrading the pots, as well.

My understanding is that installing USA equivalent parts would require routing out the control cavity. Is this correct?

What about like-for-like regular Tribute components? Is it worth the effort?

Maybe I should just stock up on Deoxit? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Re: Upgrading the switch and pots on MF Special Legacy

Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:45 pm

You can use a USA made Switchcraft 5 way switch from StewMac or other retailer. You will also need a new cap for the switch. It should fit without issue, but you should verify the screw spacing against your current switch prior to ordering. Otherwise look on G&L store for the import switch for Tributes.

Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:02 pm

Tooslowhand wrote:You can use a USA made Switchcraft 5 way switch from StewMac or other retailer. You will also need a new cap for the switch. It should fit without issue, but you should verify the screw spacing against your current switch prior to ordering. Otherwise look on G&L store for the import switch for Tributes.

Thanks! Shockingly, I couldn't find a Switchcraft 5-way switch (not even their own site -- https://www.switchcraft.com/productsumm ... Parent=739), but StewMac has a USA-made CLR 5-way that might do the trick. They spec the body clearance at 1-3/8", so I will need to check.

Amazingly, the screw spacing matches (1-5/8").

Not sure about the pot depths, but will just have to dig into catalog and do some measuring.

Thanks again!

Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:15 pm

The Stewmac site should have dimensions for CTS potentiometers. My recollection is that you use the short shaft pots for a Strat/Legacy as the pickguard isn't that thick. I recommend the CTS potentiometers with brass shaft ferrules as they are smoother. Whether you get spline or solid shafts depends on the type of knob you use. The USA made pots are slightly larger than the Asian made metric parts so you will have to make the holes slightly larger with a round file. You will also need new knobs to fit the U.S. spec shafts.

Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:56 pm

I believe Tribute Legacy, S-500, & Comanche all use the same route currently. I don't know if that has changed since 2016. The S-500's have a push-pull pot that is probably the same depth as a US push-pull pot. If you are using regular pots I doubt you will have any issue at all.

I just laid a loaded Legacy USA pickguard on a recent Tribute mahogany body and there were no clearance issues with the pots or switch.

I don't think you are going to have any issues but like I said I'm not positive your 2016 model is the same. I think it should be.

Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:44 pm

Look for “Kaish five way switch” on Amazon. They are awesome import replacements. I put one in my 2021 Tribute Comanche - very solid compared to the cheap stock PU Selector!