Hipshot Locking Tuners on Tribute Comanche?

Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:53 am

Howdy Gang,

Have any of you replaced your Tribute’s stock tuners with a set of Hipshot locking tuners? I’m considering a set of their open gear tuners instead of the closed/sealed ones. The open gear design is 18:1 ratio; the closed gear Hipshots are only 15:1. I’m asking if anyone else has used these particular tuners because I’d like assurance that they’d fit well. If not these, then I would probably spring for another set of Grover 505C6s - I have them installed on another guitar; they’re superb!

I’m in Canada so I’d buy from NextGen Guitars.
https://nextgenguitars.ca/products/hips ... tions.html

Re: Hipshot Locking Tuners on Tribute Comanche?

Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:10 pm

BrotherCharles wrote:Howdy Gang,

Have any of you replaced your Tribute’s stock tuners with a set of Hipshot locking tuners? I’m considering a set of their open gear tuners instead of the closed/sealed ones. The open gear design is 18:1 ratio; the closed gear Hipshots are only 15:1. I’m asking if anyone else has used these particular tuners because I’d like assurance that they’d fit well. If not these, then I would probably spring for another set of Grover 505C6s - I have them installed on another guitar; they’re superb!

I’m in Canada so I’d buy from NextGen Guitars.
https://nextgenguitars.ca/products/hips ... tions.html

If you want to use the UMP (universal mounting plate) it won't fit on a Tribute (or any G&L) unless you modify it. The modification is apparently not that hard to do, but I haven't done it. If you don't mind drilling holes and using the mounting screws, then they should fit. There are a few brands that are drop-in replacements. You can search this site for more info, but they are Kiesel, Graphtech, and Sperzel (if you use the Ez-mount).

David

Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:20 pm

Thanks for the info, David.
I’d already tried to source out some Kiesel locking tuners, but they told me that they no longer sell to individuals - only to guitar companies.

Sperzels are soooo expensive.

Graph Tech are pretty pricey too, but apparently they're really good.

dhgleaves wrote:If you want to use the UMP (universal mounting plate) it won't fit on a Tribute (or any G&L) unless you modify it. The modification is apparently not that hard to do, but I haven't done it. If you don't mind drilling holes and using the mounting screws, then they should fit. There are a few brands that are drop-in replacements. You can search this site for more info, but they are Kiesel, Graphtech, and Sperzel (if you use the Ez-mount).

David

Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:38 pm

BrotherCharles wrote:Thanks for the info, David.
I’d already tried to source out some Kiesel locking tuners, but they told me that they no longer sell to individuals - only to guitar companies.

Sperzels are soooo expensive.

Graph Tech are pretty pricey too, but apparently they're really good.

dhgleaves wrote:If you want to use the UMP (universal mounting plate) it won't fit on a Tribute (or any G&L) unless you modify it. The modification is apparently not that hard to do, but I haven't done it. If you don't mind drilling holes and using the mounting screws, then they should fit. There are a few brands that are drop-in replacements. You can search this site for more info, but they are Kiesel, Graphtech, and Sperzel (if you use the Ez-mount).

David

Hmm, we've had other people recently contact Kiesel who said they did still sell the tuners, but maybe they have changed. I can see some of the Sperzels (with Ez-mount) on ebay for 70-80 USD. They're probably the better ones anyhow. David

Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:49 am

@ David,

I recently did an email purge, so I haven’t the email to copy/paste here, but I’m telling the honest-to-God truth about the reply I received from Keisel.

I’ll pass on Sperzels - they’re only 12:1 ratio. Even older Grovers with 14:1 are too quick and imprecise for my liking.

I’ve messaged the Graph Tech folks, but I haven’t received a reply just yet. I really like the appearance and specs of the Ratio tuners. I just wish they weren’t so expensive. I also really like Grover 505 mini locking tuners, but I do prefer a more “Fender-ish” looking tuning peg on this type of guitar. If Graph Tech gets back to me with verification about what model of theirs would be a direct, drop in replacement, I’ll most likely take that route when funding permits. ;)

Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:06 pm

I heard back from the folks at Graph Tech. According to Graph Tech, there are pretty much only two, 2-pin machine head mounting templates - one being Fender’s configuration, and the other being the Schaller/Graph Tech/Jin Ho/Ping standard. I saw a couple of pix on the Graph Tech web site of their tuners being dropped in (without any modifications) on G&L Trbutes.

I ordered a set of Graph Tech (staggered post) locking tuners in chrome. :)