Felt washers for DF vibrato

Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:27 am

Just acquired a Tribute Comanche and discovered its previous owner removed the felt washers under the bridge plate. Guess that explains why the bridge isn't level, doesn't it?

bridge

bridge

Thankfully, I was able to replace those heinous plastic knobs with sexy G&L chrome knurled ones, but now I need to find replacement felt washers so I can get a full range of motion from the trem. Where can I find those felt washers? I don't see them in the G&L store, and my local hardware stores don't carry anything like them. I believe they have a 5/8" outer diameter and a 5/16" inner diameter, and should be 1/8" thick. Is that correct? Are they really just strap button washers?

Thanks!

Re: Felt washers for DF vibrato

Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:08 am

thatsme wrote:Just acquired a Tribute Comanche and discovered its previous owner removed the felt washers under the bridge plate. Guess that explains why the bridge isn't level, doesn't it?

bridge

bridge

Thankfully, I was able to replace those heinous plastic knobs with sexy G&L chrome knurled ones, but now I need to find replacement felt washers so I can get a full range of motion from the trem. Where can I find those felt washers? I don't see them in the G&L store, and my local hardware stores don't carry anything like them. I believe they have a 5/8" outer diameter and a 5/16" inner diameter, and should be 1/8" thick. Is that correct? Are they really just strap button washers?

Thanks!

You definitely need the felt washers so that the bridge plate will not damage the finish under the bridge.

I emailed Memo to find out if the strap button felt washers are the same size as the DFV bridge post washers and
I also asked if they still use two washers for each bridge post, but G&L's emailer server is down so my emails bounced.

I see your can get felt washers from Amazon, but without knowing the size I don't know if the strap button washer will work.

Stay tuned or you might try finding them locally and see if they work for you.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:21 am

Once you know the size, if the actual parts aren't available, you should be able to buy some felt stock and cut them yourself.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:43 am

Thanks, Craig and Tooslowhand! I'll stay tuned for specs and/or availability.