Rampage Tribute Tremolo

Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:17 pm

Hey guys, sorry if I am posting in the wrong area or something (this is my first time on this site). But anyway, I bought a G&L Rampage Tribute a while back and loved it to death, except for the tremolo. It has a Kahler 4300 X tremolo on it and working with that thing makes me want to kill myself and everyone around me (just not in that order). I had to return the guitar because of that tremolo. Since then I have been playing a ton of guitars but nothing comes close to matching the Rampage Tribute. I was wondering if anyone has an idea of how to get a Rampage Tribute with a simple stopbar tailpiece (or string-thru) with a tune-o-matic bridge. Does the company do any custom orders or anything? Thanks for any help.

Re: Rampage Tribute Tremolo

Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:43 pm

I understand you frustraion woth those locking bridges - I hate them too.

I don't think you can custom order anything from the Tribute line. The only thing I can think of is removing the Kahler and filling the cavity, then installing whichever hard tail bridge you want. That's a LOT of hassle (and expense) if you don't do it yourself. You could always save up for the US made version, I'd imagine that they'd give you a choice.

Best of luck in your search for that perfect guitar.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:36 pm

Dmitri Popov wrote:Hey guys, sorry if I am posting in the wrong area or something (this is my first time on this site). But anyway, I bought a G&L Rampage Tribute a while back and loved it to death, except for the tremolo. It has a Kahler 4300 X tremolo on it and working with that thing makes me want to kill myself and everyone around me (just not in that order). I had to return the guitar because of that tremolo. Since then I have been playing a ton of guitars but nothing comes close to matching the Rampage Tribute. I was wondering if anyone has an idea of how to get a Rampage Tribute with a simple stopbar tailpiece (or string-thru) with a tune-o-matic bridge. Does the company do any custom orders or anything? Thanks for any help.

blarg...space is correct about the Tribute, there are no options.

Because the US version is also a Signature Model, there are no options available on it either. It does have a different Kahler trem: Kahler® 2320 professional brass tremelo. But I have no idea if that trem is any better or worse.

Looks like your only option with the Tribute is to do the mod blarg...space mentioned.

Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:40 pm

Damn, well thanks for the replies gents. I just cant picture myself putting in the effort to fill the tremolo recess and all that crap for a 500 dollar guitar. Maybe some day G&L will smile on me and produce the Rampage with a fixed bridge option.

Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:37 pm

Can you just block it with a piece of wood or two? Or use a trem-ol-no to make it act like a non-trem bridge?

Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:15 pm

What about replacing the trem w/the USA one? That one might be a lot nicer (just a guess). And, I don't think you can block the Kahlers.

Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:42 am

You can't block it, it's a kahler, no spring block like on a floyd

Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:40 pm

I took a little trip over to Kahler's website and found this on the 4300 X-trem series:
http://www.kahlerusa.com/images/Kahler_maintain.pdf

Look for the 2 for 1 lock and load text in the bottom left side of this pdf file. So, there
is a set screw for locking the trem.

I will add this info and separate info I got from John Toner on the USA Rampage Kahler trem,
for locking down these trems in the G&L Tech Tips sub-forum of the G&L Knowledgebase.

Dmitri, could you please check your Tribute Rampage tremolo and see if it has this locking/unlocking set screw
and report back what you find?

Hope this helps.

Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:18 pm

I have added the information about locking down the Kahler trems in the G&L Tech Tips sub-forum of the G&L Knowledgebase.

Hope this helps.

Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:55 pm

Hello Craig, you can lock the Kahler on the Rampage however the tremolo unit is recessed into the body so in order to get at the locking screw one would have to remove the tremolo, lock the unit, then replace the tremolo.

Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:28 pm

Dmitri Popov wrote:Hello Craig, you can lock the Kahler on the Rampage however the tremolo unit is recessed into the body so in order to get at the locking screw one would have to remove the tremolo, lock the unit, then replace the tremolo.

Thanks for checking this out. I have updated the post in the G&L Tech Tips to reflect your findings.