Tribute ASAT Deluxe Carve Top Sadness

Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:22 pm

Went into today to check in on the Tribute ASAT Carve Top that I have on layaway. This will be my second Tribute- the first is a WR and the quality on it is excellent. The value proposition has always been "USA quality with import pricing". The first thing is that the neck is bowed slightly, noticed that from the get go- no worries, they will set it up and tweak it before I take ownership. I plugged it in today and noticed that the volume knob super fast and don't give hardly any volume until it is all the way up. The tone knob doesn't seem to have any effect whatsoever and when it is in the "down" position it scrapes in two places on the body as you roll the knob through its range. The finish inside the knob relief is also rough, a clear coat run and unfinished pigment underneath the knob. Needless to say, not the quality the Tribute line has stood for, even as the import.

Just to check, I tried the trans black one they also have at the store and the volume did the same thing. I am curious to know if they rushed this first batch out the door without properly checking them.

The store agreed to replace both pots and adjust the neck under warranty, so that is the positive. I am wondering if it wouldn't be wise to have them swap in USA spec Deluxe pots since we are going to rewire the guitar. Overall, I am dissapointed and am likely going to kick this one out the door before I even get it home. Certainly so if they offer a USA carved top any time soon. :whome:

Re: Tribute ASAT Deluxe Carve Top Sadness

Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:42 pm

audio taper can be like that unfortunately. that is why i use linear pots for volume. when the knob scrapes like that, it just was not put on straight. very easy to fix. make sure the truss rod is adjustable enough to take care of the bow, that is your biggest issue, but none of this should make a difference is how well you like the guitar once it is set up. don't let your judgement be clouded.

Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:55 pm

louis cyfer wrote:audio taper can be like that unfortunately. that is why i use linear pots for volume. when the knob scrapes like that, it just was not put on straight. very easy to fix. make sure the truss rod is adjustable enough to take care of the bow, that is your biggest issue, but none of this should make a difference is how well you like the guitar once it is set up. don't let your judgement be clouded.

Thank you for the perspective Louis, I will get over the buzzkill. It really is a nice guitar, pretty much what I was trying to build in my dorm room those many years ago...

Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:00 am

New volume pot, action adjust and a refitted tone knob. Happy ending.

Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:04 am

JagInTheBag wrote:New volume pot, action adjust and a refitted tone knob. Happy ending.

Glad to hear. :thumbup:

Care to share a photo or two?

:ugeek:

Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:39 pm

see, it wasn't so hard. little fixable problems do not make a great guitar bad.