Fretwire Tributes

Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:09 pm

Dear all

One of my G&Ls is a Tribute Asat classic. I've owned it for about 3-4 years and its a really nice guitar. Recently I had to get the frets dressed (just a few pits and uneveness occurring on the well played areas of the neck).

Anyway, my hunch was that this was a little too soon for a dressing....but is this the case? Another issue. My guitar tech who did the job said its possible the fretwire in the tributes contains more brass (than the USA models) to make them softer and easier to fit into the neck. I have no idea if this is true and I guess only Craig does.....

Anyway, it could be a one-off but just wondered, in terms of new guitars how soon, on average, you have required a first fret dressing?

Of course I know it all comes down to 'how much you play it' (though i think finger tension might also come into it) - but all things being equal for an average enthusiast who probably plays around 5 hours a week (10 hrs tops) - does not play in a band....does this seem correct?

BTW - the guitar plays like a dream and definately feels nicer to play - the tech guy did a great job.

Re: Fretwire Tributes

Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:08 pm

I say play the hell out of them, polish them every time you change strings,
dress them when you notice divots( for me that might be once a year on the daily players),
and look forward to the day you get to choose some new fretwire of your liking that might be a bit harder.

Like you say, a light touch is good for the frets (and the music).
...nothing like a glassy polish on the frets with good strings.

Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:20 pm

i get them dressed as soon as i get them, and once a year or so afterwards. i play with very light touch, but i am very finicky, i like very smooth frets. the ones you use more wear more, so you really have to level the other ones to avoid problems. i do not wait until any pits are noticeable. but this is the reason i am switching to the jescar evo frets. polishing and dressing will not be necessary for 3-4 years.

Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:55 am

Dr B wrote:My guitar tech who did the job said its possible the fretwire in the tributes contains more brass (than the USA models) to make them softer and easier to fit into the neck. I have no idea if this is true and I guess only Craig does.....

He is probably correct. The fret wire used for the Tributes is sourced by the manufacturer in the country of origin.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:30 pm

Thanks Craig....I knew that you, would know.....do you know if that is also true for the Swamp ash or is that sent over from the USA?

Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:04 pm

Dr B wrote:Thanks Craig....I knew that you, would know.....do you know if that is also true for the Swamp ash or is that sent over from the USA?

I'm quite certain that the body woods are sourced by the manufacturer at the country of origin as well.
I really doubt that G&L would ship the raw woods to the Cort factory in Indonesia, it would be too cost prohibitive.

:ugeek: