Tribute neck replacement.

Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:25 am

I bought a korean ASAT semi-hollow special in sun-burst.
Beautiful guitar and with pickups lowered sounds really sweet.

The neck is very thin, and I must admit that my old 62 reissue stratocaster with a thicker c-shape neck fits my hand better.
My main problem though is high action. I cannot lower the action without getting fretbuzz at the headstock. I adjust bridges and truss-rod. A guitar tech at the store said that the first two frets was a little high so he lowered them a little. but also shaved of the bottom of the brigde plate to get an angle.. WTH:. He molested my bridge, ,, this did not really solve the problem..

The truss-rod adjustement is at the headstock and I think that it does not really work so well on the upper part of the guitar.. The neck seems to bow just after the body attachement.. It is not an uncommon thing seen on very thin necks with the reverse adjustable truss rod at headstock...

Can i get a ASAT neck from G&L.??? Or is there a company that makes G&L asat necks..
I am deeply frustrated...

ANders

Re: Tribute neck replacement.

Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:45 am

get a real tech, not at a guitar store. i have not seen g&l's with really thin necks, unless they are older or ordered that way.

Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:44 pm

+ 1 What Louis said. Any buzzing up the headstock end would make me suspicious that the nut is cut too low. I would have that checked first.

As far as neck shapes go, I have 2 MIK Asats. One has a shallow neck as you describe and the other has a chunky C profile like modern Fenders. There seems to be quite a bit of variability.

Tue May 01, 2012 1:15 pm

Andyman wrote:I bought a korean ASAT semi-hollow special in sun-burst.
Beautiful guitar and with pickups lowered sounds really sweet.

The neck is very thin, and I must admit that my old 62 reissue stratocaster with a thicker c-shape neck fits my hand better.
My main problem though is high action. I cannot lower the action without getting fretbuzz at the headstock. I adjust bridges and truss-rod. A guitar tech at the store said that the first two frets was a little high so he lowered them a little. but also shaved of the bottom of the brigde plate to get an angle.. WTH:. He molested my bridge, ,, this did not really solve the problem..

The truss-rod adjustement is at the headstock and I think that it does not really work so well on the upper part of the guitar.. The neck seems to bow just after the body attachement.. It is not an uncommon thing seen on very thin necks with the reverse adjustable truss rod at headstock...

Can i get a ASAT neck from G&L.??? Or is there a company that makes G&L asat necks..
I am deeply frustrated...

ANders

It would not be a Korean made Tribute because Semi-Hollow Tribute models were not available until
after G&L moved to the Indonesian factory. If you look at the back of the neck, you will see the serial number
and country of origin. Also, see this post: Serial number significance.

Did you buy this new from an Authorized G&L dealer? I cannot believe that the guitar "tech" would modify the
Saddle-Lock bridge to attempt to do a setup. :shock: If you bought it new from a G&L dealer, return it for
warranty repair (they will likely replace the guitar and return the original to G&L).

As far as the neck shape: there is only one size and shape for this Tribute model. You would be better off returning
the Tribute and ordering a USA model with the neck size and shape you are looking for.
See the G&L USA Guitar Options page for info on the various necks available.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek: