Tribute S-500 9 or 12 inch neck radius?

Sun May 06, 2012 11:40 am

Hi,

I'm planning to purchase a Tribute S-500 blueburst. Some internet deals state a 9 inch neck radius, while on the G&L website the
model is spec'ed with a 12 inch neck radius.

So, I wonder if some earlier models that are still in stock really have a 9 inch neck, or if that is just an error. If it's an error, a lot of
guitar web shops have this error... anybody know for sure? Anybody who has a Tribute with a 9 inch neck?

Thanks!
Andrej

Re: Tribute S-500 9 or 12 inch neck radius?

Sun May 06, 2012 11:55 am

the asat specials and classics are 9', but the legacy, comanche, s500 are 12 as far as i kniow.

Sun May 06, 2012 10:09 pm

louis cyfer wrote:the asat specials and classics are 9', but the legacy, comanche, s500 are 12 as far as i kniow.

Yes, the Tribute S-500 will have the 12" radius.

:ugeek:

Mon May 07, 2012 2:43 am

Craig wrote:Yes, the Tribute S-500 will have the 12" radius.

Thanks Craig, However, I knew already that the current ones come with a 12" radius. My question is if any earlier models came with
a 9" neck radius. Specifically, if it's possible that some dealers are selling old stock but new guitars with a 9" radius.

Thx
Andrej

Mon May 07, 2012 6:41 am

fretnoise wrote:
Craig wrote:Yes, the Tribute S-500 will have the 12" radius.

Thanks Craig, However, I knew already that the current ones come with a 12" radius. My question is if any earlier models came with
a 9" neck radius. Specifically, if it's possible that some dealers are selling old stock but new guitars with a 9" radius.

Thx
Andrej

See What is the new Tribute series which G&L announced in 2003?

Mon May 07, 2012 7:03 am

Craig wrote:See What is the new Tribute series which G&L announced in 2003?

Still not a definite answer :)

But looks like there's a small chance that the Tribute S-500 ever had a 9" neck radius. What surprises me is that a lot of
sellers/reviewers on the internet state a 9" radius...

Mon May 07, 2012 7:09 am

fretnoise wrote:

Still not a definite answer :)

But looks like there's a small chance that the Tribute S-500 ever had a 9" neck radius. What surprises me is that a lot of
sellers/reviewers on the internet state a 9" radius...

The 2003 through current MIK and MII Tribute S-500 models have always come with a 12" radius neck. What in that post
I pointed you to gives the impression otherwise? :?:

Necks:

S-500 and Legacy have 1 5/8" width and 12" radius.

ASAT Classic and ASAT Special have 1 5/8" and 9" radius.

Mon May 07, 2012 7:51 am

Craig wrote:The 2003 through current MIK and MII Tribute S-500 models have always come with a 12" radius neck. What in that post

I inferred that this post only applied to MIK, as it was written in 2003, before the move to Indonesia. Could not find any info
for MII in there.

I've found a post on ebay for a new Tribute S-500 and the author claims a 9" radius. Another seller also claims a 9" radius but wasn't
100% sure...

So I can assume they got it wrong?

Mon May 07, 2012 8:03 am

fretnoise wrote:
Craig wrote:The 2003 through current MIK and MII Tribute S-500 models have always come with a 12" radius neck. What in that post

I inferred that this post only applied to MIK, as it was written in 2003, before the move to Indonesia. Could not find any info
for MII in there.

I've found a post on ebay for a new Tribute S-500 and the author claims a 9" radius. Another seller also claims a 9" radius but wasn't
100% sure...

So I can assume they got it wrong?

Yes, the ebay posts are incorrect (if they have the stock neck with the S-500 decal on headstock).

The switch to the Indonesian factory did not change the neck radius specs. See, Why the change in manufacturing location for the Tributes?

Hope this helps.

Mon May 07, 2012 8:38 am

Craig wrote:Yes, the ebay posts are incorrect (if they have the stock neck with the S-500 decal on headstock).

Just got an answer from the ebay seller, after I've asked him to verify/confirm his specs. His reply:
Ebay seller wrote:They have made both 9" and 12" This legacy S-500 is 9" The regular S-500 are mostly 12"
Some of the Legacy S-500 are both 9 and 12 The brand new ones seem to be 12 The one I have is a new old stock

Headstock shows "G&L" in big letters and "TRIBUTE SERIES" in smaller font below it, plus the
big "S-500".

He seems very confident...

Mon May 07, 2012 9:02 am

fretnoise wrote:
Craig wrote:Yes, the ebay posts are incorrect (if they have the stock neck with the S-500 decal on headstock).

Just got an answer from the ebay seller, after I've asked him to verify/confirm his specs. His reply:
Ebay seller wrote:They have made both 9" and 12" This legacy S-500 is 9" The regular S-500 are mostly 12"
Some of the Legacy S-500 are both 9 and 12 The brand new ones seem to be 12 The one I have is a new old stock

Headstock shows "G&L" in big letters and "TRIBUTE SERIES" in smaller font below it, plus the
big "S-500".

He seems very confident...

i would not be confident in that sellers opinion, when he calls it a "legacy s-500". there is no such thing.

Mon May 07, 2012 9:22 am

louis cyfer wrote:
i would not be confident in that sellers opinion, when he calls it a "legacy s-500". there is no such thing.

Yeah, I know. But he's not the only one who claims having a Tribute S-500 with a 9" neck radius. I'm not even sure if I would
rather have 9" over 12"... just trying to get to the bottom of this.

Mon May 07, 2012 5:24 pm

Craig wrote:[
The switch to the Indonesian factory did not change the neck radius specs.

Hey Craig,

in October 2010 you wrote the following:

Some time in late 2008 or early 2009, the neck radius was changed to 9" for all of the Tribute models built in Indonesia.
(click to go to that post)

Sorry for being such a hard ass ;)

Mon May 07, 2012 5:48 pm

fretnoise wrote:
Craig wrote:[
The switch to the Indonesian factory did not change the neck radius specs.

Hey Craig,

in October 2010 you wrote the following:

Some time in late 2008 or early 2009, the neck radius was changed to 9" for all of the Tribute models built in Indonesia.
(click to go to that post)

Sorry for being such a hard ass ;)

Oh man, this is getting bad: two brain-farts in the last two weeks. :oops: :oops:

I will need to find out when they changed back to the 12" radius on the Tribute Legacy, S-500, and Comanche
models.

Thanks for pointing out that post and I will be updating the info in the G&L Knowledgebase once I get all the
detailed changes.

You might ask the eBay seller what the first four digits of the serial number is, as that will tell you the built year and month.

Mon May 07, 2012 6:07 pm

Craig wrote:Thanks for pointing out that post and I will be updating the info in the G&L Knowledgebase once I get all the
detailed changes.

You might ask the eBay seller what the first four digits of the serial number is, as that will tell you the built year and month.

So they started with 12", changed to 9", and then back to 12" ;) Confusing!

The ebay seller swapped the MFD pickups for Seymour Duncans, so I'm not interested anymore. I'm looking for a Tribute S-500 Blueburst with
Rosewood fingerboard and 9" neck radius... maybe a 12" is actually better, but what do I know...

Cheers,
-Andrej

Mon May 07, 2012 6:55 pm

fretnoise wrote:
Craig wrote:Thanks for pointing out that post and I will be updating the info in the G&L Knowledgebase once I get all the
detailed changes.

So they started with 12", changed to 9", and then back to 12" ;) Confusing!

The ebay seller swapped the MFD pickups for Seymour Duncans, so I'm not interested anymore. I'm looking for a Tribute S-500 Blueburst with
Rosewood fingerboard and 9" neck radius... maybe a 12" is actually better, but what do I know...

Cheers,
-Andrej

Yes, it is quite confusing and I hope to atleast document these changes in one place in the G&L Knowledgebase.
Regarding the pickup change, that might explain why he called it a Legacy S-500. :lolno:

Good luck on your search! :searching:

Tue May 08, 2012 11:51 am

i've been looking at that same listing, wondering where he got the Legacy S500 from, too. lol

andrej, it looks like we want the same guitar (though i'm hoping to find a decent deal on a used USA model - and hoping my hvac system holds up so i don't have to spend the tax refund on something as frivolous as heating and air conditioning so i CAN get the usa model! ;) ) here's hoping you find what you're looking for!

jason

Tue May 08, 2012 12:27 pm

jking wrote:andrej, it looks like we want the same guitar (though i'm hoping to find a decent deal on a used USA model - and hoping my hvac system holds up so i don't have to spend the tax refund on something as frivolous as heating and air conditioning so i CAN get the usa model! ;) ) here's hoping you find what you're looking for!
jason

Hey Jason,

don't chase the same model as I am, it's difficult enough already to find one as it is ;)

heard from a big music store here that G&L will be phasing out the Blueburst Tribute S-500 alltogether. Shux. Some shops still have the
maple neck version in stock, but looks like the rosewood neck is not available anymore.

Andrej

Tue May 08, 2012 1:40 pm

that's, unfortunately, what i've been finding, too... and i much prefer the look and sound of the rosewood fretboard. ah well, just have to use that info with my wife so she knows it's not just me wanting one, it's a matter availablity! lol

Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:42 am

Yes, it is quite confusing and I hope to atleast document these changes in one place in the G&L Knowledgebase.
Regarding the pickup change, that might explain why he called it a Legacy S-500.

Hey Guys, newby here. I just picked up a 2008 Indo made Tribute Commanche. Neck radius looks like 12 inches to me. Was doing basic intonation and setup on the saddles last night.

Did this question ever get solved? Thanks

Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:44 am

beyond7chords wrote:
Regarding the pickup change, that might explain why he called it a Legacy S-500.

Hey Guys, newby here. I just picked up a 2008 Indo made Tribute Commanche. Neck radius looks like 12 inches to me. Was doing basic intonation and setup on the saddles last night.

Did this question ever get solved? Thanks

I have not had the time to research my past emails (archived on a backup disk) to put together a
knowledgebase document detailing the neck radius change history. The main G&L website does
have the current neck specs for all Tribute models.