Tribute Series: Comanche vs. S-500

Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:34 am

Having just purchased my first G&L guitar, a 2004 Tribute ASAT Special Premium (and loving those MFD pickups), I am now considering another Tribute series guitar: either the Comanche or the S-500.

What are the sonic differences between the Comanche's Z-Coil MFD pickups and the S-500's Single Coil MFD pickups?

Are there other notable differences between these two guitars?

Thanks for your help and insight, guys.

Re: Tribute Series: Comanche vs. S-500

Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:29 pm

I suggest to do a YouTube search. There you can get the sounds.
I don't own a Comanche to tell you the difference.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:51 pm

The tone of both guitars will be similar. Big advantage of the Comanche's Z-coils is that they are hum cancelling. The S-500 MFD'sare true single coils ao they can still be noisy. They have an aggressive edge to them; the Z-coils slightly less so. Both have a wide-range sound, lots of clarity and lots of output. The PTB really helps you fine-tune the tone.

Search for my post, "Comanche For Dummies", it may help you decide.

Bill

Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:52 pm

Boogie Bill wrote:The tone of both guitars will be similar. Big advantage of the Comanche's Z-coils is that they are hum cancelling. The S-500 MFD'sare true single coils ao they can still be noisy. They have an aggressive edge to them; the Z-coils slightly less so. Both have a wide-range sound, lots of clarity and lots of output. The PTB really helps you fine-tune the tone.

Search for my post, "Comanche For Dummies", it may help you decide.

Bill

This post of a YouTube video by Steve Grom might be helpful, too: S-500 or Legacy? Video Clip
[Note: Steve is playing Tribute models for this demo].

:ugeek: