G&L Tribute Comanche Mods

Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:59 pm

Well I have finished opening up the pickguard and before I went in side, I was dead set on replacing the pots to much better pots.
To my surprise the mighty mites that are in these Tributes are really not as bad as I thought. I even went on line and was ready to purchase
new pots and glad I didn't. I did replace the nut with a Earvana and replace the tuners with a set of Planet Waves and a new jack with a Switchcraft and a new 5 blade switch.
For poops and giggles I replaced the neck plate with a G&L. So for those out there wanting to mod their Tribute Comanche I have done it and I really like it. I will try to post pictures when I get better at it.

Re: G&L Tribute Comanche Mods

Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:01 pm

What was the point of changing the tuners? Do the new ones lock or have a better ratio? Similarly, did you have problems with the jack and the blade switch?

I ask because I don't recall you complaining about these things.

Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:49 pm

Rob
Yes the Tuners are locking Planet Waves and when I pulled the pickguard the 5 blade looked cheap so I changed it out with a switchcraft.
The jack looked like a toy so I replaced it with a switchcraft jack. Did they need to be replaced well in my mind they did. When I post some pictures you will see why I changed the components.

Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:47 am

Good to know that the Mighty Mite pots looked pretty good under the hood. The volume pot on my Comanche is a little more tight than I'd like, so I may change it at some stage but not in too much of a rush. I read your good review of the Earvana nut in another post, good stuff!

I'll get my local tech to cut a bone nut for me in the next couple of weeks, but that's the main functional change I'm planning on making in the near future.

I saw some press releases back in late Dec 2012 that Graph Tech are releasing ratio tuners - different ratios for each string, so that a half turn equals a semitone difference in pitch. I might check those out when they're released, too.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:40 pm

When I opened her up this is what I found the jack like I said earlier kind of looked like a toy and the 5 blade looked terrible. Here is what I pulled out.

I installed some Planet Wave Tuners that worked out real good and like I said installed the Earvana.

And also the Tusq String Tree.

Here is a picture of the back side

Here is a picture before I did the mods

Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:56 pm

What a great guitar ,It sure makes a lot of differences to what I have accomplished with these mods.