New Used ASAT Special Tribute

Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:29 pm

I have been looking for a guitar for Steve our lead player. He currently uses a Legacy with a Roland Synth and a Fender American Tele. He got a new Alnico Asat Classic last fall and will not gig it as it is too beautiful. I get it! He also loves my Asat Special hollow body for the tone it has so I have been watching CL locally. Yesterday an Asat Special Tribute came up and I called Steve. He said if it was nice he would be interested so I decided to look at it.

I headed over to ST Paul and met the guy, he was a very nice young fellow and wanted to tell me a lot about G&L. I mentioned I had a few of them and really I just waned to look it over and play it. I owned another tribute ASAT Special some time back, a Korean model. This one was pristine and it was set up badly but I am not concerned about that. If it looks good, I can make the rest work. He even had an aftermarket hard case for it that fit. I shot him a price considerably lower that one would exprect and he said okay. What do you do?. I paid him and brought it home. The first thing I did was clean it up and it did look like new. There is no fret wear. Here are some pictures before I get into the issues.

First of all G&Ls are the best used buy on the planet. The Tributes are an extremely good value for their price. If you are expecting a tribute to play like an American, your expectations may be too high. What I want to tell you is that you can make a tribute play like an American if you are handy. If you have to hire it done, it may not be worth it. If you are happy with the G&L factory setup, you are probably good to go for either American or Tribute. If you want really low action like I do you may have problems with the tribute as the fret work is not as precise.

After cleaning it I put new strings on and played it. It sounded pretty good but a bit dead on open strings, especially the higher strings. I measured the nut and it had been cut too low. Who knows who had worked on this one. I decided to take a fresh look at this today. I removed the neck and cleaned the wood chips from the pocket and started over. The action was totally different. I had noticed last night after lowering the action I had some serious buzzing. It was only one fret on the high e and the low e had several spot on the neck where it buzzed. After setting the action where I wanted it today I found four frets on the low e that were high and one on the high e. I decide to dress those frets and the interesting thing is that the frets in the middle of the neck were fine on the whole neck. The problems were only on the outer string on each side of the neck. The frets were seated fine. After dressing them and shimming the nut this baby really cooks. It plays like one would expect. I will find a bone nut and install tomorrow and I couldn't be happier. These Tributes can really be made into some fine players. I compared it to my American Special and they sound the same. Remember, the intent is to get a fine playing gigger so Steve doesn't mess up his Alnico Asat. I sent him these photos last night and he called me. He is not sure he wants to gig this one because it is so beautiful. What do you do???????-- Darwin

Re: New Used ASAT Special Tribute

Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:49 pm

wow... gorgeous !!!! :shock:

how does that PG look for real ?... I already saw fake tortoise PG on an ibanez and it was an awful piece of plastic...

Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:14 am

meursault wrote:wow... gorgeous !!!! :shock:

how does that PG look for real ?... I already saw fake tortoise PG on an ibanez and it was an awful piece of plastic...

it looks like someone puked on it. like all tortie guards.

Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:28 am

louis cyfer wrote:

:think:

ok... so it looks <censored word>... or puky ?... that's all i wanted to know ! :lol:

Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:56 am

meursault wrote:
louis cyfer wrote:

ok... so it looks <censored word>... or puky ?... that's all i wanted to know ! :lol:

it works well for a gigging guitar, this way when a drunk pukes on it, you can't even tell. the only thing worse than a tortie guard is a pearloid one. it's just tasteless and evil to put a pearloid guard on a guitar. it has stopped me from buying a comanche many times as most of the used ones seemed to have pearloid guards. gross.

Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:15 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

yeah, i kinda agree ! :mrgreen:

Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:17 am

louis cyfer wrote:
meursault wrote:
louis cyfer wrote:

it works well for a gigging guitar, this way when a drunk pukes on it, you can't even tell. the only thing worse than a tortie guard is a pearloid one. it's just tasteless and evil to put a pearloid guard on a guitar. it has stopped me from buying a comanche many times as most of the used ones seemed to have pearloid guards. gross.

+1 on that Louis....I went with the flat white on my Comanche... prefer no PG at all though...

Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:20 am

ribeye1974 wrote:
louis cyfer wrote:
meursault wrote:
louis cyfer wrote:

+1 on that Louis....I went with the flat white on my Comanche... prefer no PG at all though...

indeed. no pg on figured wood, although not really possible with a comanche, i would really like a wood veneer pickguard for a comanche, but it's not available.

Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:23 am

louis cyfer wrote:
ribeye1974 wrote:
louis cyfer wrote:
meursault wrote:
louis cyfer wrote:

indeed. no pg on figured wood, although not really possible with a comanche, i would really like a wood veneer pickguard for a comanche, but it's not available.

Ooooh, that would be sweet!!

Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:25 am

Congrats on yet another new guitar Darwin, your friend sounds like he needs you to put some dings in that guitar before you give it to him.

darwinohm wrote: It sounded pretty good but a bit dead on open strings...

I had that same problem with the sparkly ASAT Special I bought last year, but couldn't work out what was wrong with it. In the end I wrote it off as being just a no good guitar and got rid of it.

louis cyfer wrote:the only thing worse than a tortie guard is a pearloid one.

I like them both - sometimes.

Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:57 am

Thanks for the comments guys! Actually this pukey tort pickguard is very dimensional with depth. It is gorgeous under light. It would look nice with a black pearl but no pickguard would be the perfect choice. Beautiful guitar in your picture Jamie. Is that an American standard Strat? Yes, this guitar was a bit muted and just rang when fretting. That is a nut problem which I confirmed by shimming it temporarily and will pick up a bone nut for it this week. I have to really give a hats off to the tribute series. This guitar now plays like my American models and the finish on it is perfect. Topped off with the gorgeous Tort pickguard, it is really a winner. Steve will retire his Tele and become a total G&L convert as this is his third one for a guy who didn't even know what they were until he saw mine. He thinks the Legacy with the synth is the best guitar he has ever owned. He doesn't think that G&Ls ever get dings. I am going to get him to sign up on the forum. Than he can really get GAS. -- Darwin

Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:38 pm

puke is very dimensional with depth and can look gorgeous under certain light. ;)

Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:46 pm

rotfl

Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:51 pm

latest babies....notice, 2 without pick guards!

Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:13 pm

That's a gorgeous Tribby Darwin! I'm going to need to get my hands on one before my boys are ready for full-sized guitars.

IMO tortie guards look horrible on most tinted finishes, but they can look decent on natural gloss if the wood isn't figured and has straight grain. I do like the look of pearlescent guards on Belair Green, but that's about it. I was planning to order one from Chandler tonight for a project Duo Sonic that will end up surf green, but now I'm leaning toward creme.

Ken

Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:30 pm

KenC wrote:That's a gorgeous Tribby Darwin! I'm going to need to get my hands on one before my boys are ready for full-sized guitars.

IMO tortie guards look horrible on most tinted finishes, but they can look decent on natural gloss if the wood isn't figured and has straight grain. I do like the look of pearlescent guards on Belair Green, but that's about it. I was planning to order one from Chandler tonight for a project Duo Sonic that will end up surf green, but now I'm leaning toward creme.

Ken
you are coming to your senses :mrgreen:

Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:04 pm

I have to fess up here. My American Fender Tele is what led up to my first G&L. It was a natural Tele with a white pickguard. It had no style. I bought a tort pickguared and boy did it come to life. I would not have left it unattended. The comment from the guy I traded it to said "wow!" when I opened the case. Case closed.-- Darwin

Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:11 pm

Louis and co - I'm getting pretty tired reading about hatred of pearloid/tort guards in almost every thread. You're entitled to your opinion and your American right to freedom of speech and all that, but how about giving it a rest for a couple of weeks? It's boring.

Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:18 pm

Here is an updated photo. Tortoise pickguard, tortoise cat!

Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:15 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:43 am

blargfromouterspace wrote:Louis and co - I'm getting pretty tired reading about hatred of pearloid/tort guards in almost every thread. You're entitled to your opinion and your American right to freedom of speech and all that, but how about giving it a rest for a couple of weeks? It's boring.

haven't been talking about that in quite a while actually. before this week.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:10 am

I just wanted to give you an update on this guitar. I did not replace the nut as no one has a bone nut that is cut and a luthier would not cut one for me because he said it would not be right???? I will probably get s set of nut files and fret tools to do all my own work. The nut is shimmed and works beautifully.

I have now had this guitar for 9 days and I have to say that it plays absolutely beautiful and I cannot feel a difference from the American counterparts that I own. I have totally bonded with this guitar in a way that surprises me a bit. I will be bringing it to our gig this weekend in Grand Rapids and Steve will take delivery. I love it and if he told me that it didn't feel right to him, it would come right home with me. When I checked the relief on the neck yesterday it was zero, flat, and it played with low action and no buzzing. Boy, this one is a keeper. I set the relief at .008 so it will be more stable for Steve as he does no adjustments. Anyway, if this Tribute is anything normal for Tributes, they are awesome players and I would not hesitate to buy a new one, play it for a while and have the frets dressed if needed. The wood and finish on this one is as one would expect from a G&L. Great experience and I am ashamed to mention the price! -- Darwin

Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:24 am

darwinohm wrote:I just wanted to give you an update on this guitar. I did not replace the nut as no one has a bone nut that is cut and a luthier would not cut one for me because he said it would not be right???? I will probably get s set of nut files and fret tools to do all my own work. The nut is shimmed and works beautifully.

I have now had this guitar for 9 days and I have to say that it plays absolutely beautiful and I cannot feel a difference from the American counterparts that I own. I have totally bonded with this guitar in a way that surprises me a bit. I will be bringing it to our gig this weekend in Grand Rapids and Steve will take delivery. I love it and if he told me that it didn't feel right to him, it would come right home with me. When I checked the relief on the neck yesterday it was zero, flat, and it played with low action and no buzzing. Boy, this one is a keeper. I set the relief at .008 so it will be more stable for Steve as he does no adjustments. Anyway, if this Tribute is anything normal for Tributes, they are awesome players and I would not hesitate to buy a new one, play it for a while and have the frets dressed if needed. The wood and finish on this one is as one would expect from a G&L. Great experience and I am ashamed to mention the price! -- Darwin

you don't want an already cut nut. did the tech not want to make one without the guitar there? he is right, he shouldn't.

Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:51 am

darwinohm wrote:I have now had this guitar for 9 days and I have to say that it plays absolutely beautiful and I cannot feel a difference from the American counterparts that I own.

serious ? :shock:

Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:02 am

Hi Darwin,

Glad to hear you're digging your Tribute. I have 2 - an ASAT Classic semi-hollow and an ASAT Special. The Classic is perfect. I can't find a single fault with it. The Special had scratchy pots and the nut was poorly cut, but after having those fixed it also plays as well as my US made G&L's.

No doubt there are some dud Tributes out there given the price point they're aimed at, but there are also some really good ones. It isn't apparent how good some of them are until they've had a good set up. It sounds like a good one has followed you home. Welcome to the Tribute bandwagon. :thumbup:

Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:06 am

Louis, I just wanted a nut cut with the proper radius. I had the old one along for string spacing. At that point I would file the bottom for the proper clearance.

Meursault, It does play like my Americans. If the neck is set up and fretted properly there is no reason why it shouldn't. The radius is different but that is not an issue. The Americans are pleked from the factory but if you do you fret leveling and dressing properly and set it up properly it should play accordingly.

Philby, glad you are enjoying yours and as you said, if they are dressed and set up properly, they can be great players. We will see what Steve thinks when he gigs it on Saturday.-- Darwin

Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:14 am

Update on this Special. Steve gigged with it on Saturday night and was surprised. It surpassed his expectations by a bunch. According to him, it has one of the best necks he has played and the tone is to kill for. His Tele has been retired. The tone on this Asat is much more meaty and has nicer overtones. It is now his new player. I would have kept it if he were not happy. I loved it.-- Darwin

Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:16 am

darwinohm wrote:Update on this Special. Steve gigged with it on Saturday night and was surprised. It surpassed his expectations by a bunch. According to him, it has one of the best necks he has played and the tone is to kill for. His Tele has been retired. The tone on this Asat is much more meaty and has nicer overtones. It is now his new player. I would have kept it if he were not happy. I loved it.-- Darwin

+1 :happy0065:

Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:48 pm

Darwin, how did you know the nut was too low? Were notes on the low end of the fretboard too low?

Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:33 pm

No,, the high E string was a bit muted on open strings and it did not ring like it should. It cleared up as soon as you would fret it. I like to have about .020 in at the first fret to the bottom of the strings. It wasn't noticeable until I adjusted the truss rod to make the neck flatter and lowered the action. That is when the fret issues also showed up. I then leveled the frets that were a problem and it was as good as it gets when I was done. -- Darwin