Feedback from the middle pickup on a Tribute S-500?

Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:38 am

Hi all,

So, whenever I have the middle pickup engaged (positions 2, 3, & 4), it has started to quite unmusically feedback. Not all the time, and mostly when I either have higher gain settings/pedals on and when I'm fairly close to the amps. When no pedals are on and I'm playing clean, it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Two things happened between having no problem and having a problem.

1) I got a new pickguard. In replacing it, I may have put the middle pup back in 'backwards' (or upside down). I also may have loosened a wire when installing/re-installing the middle pup. I didn't notice anything at the time and was trying to be as delicate as possible, but I wonder if a loose ground or something might be the culprit. And if so, what should I look for to determine if something isn't right?

2) I got a new pedal. It's a Joyo Ultimate Overdrive (marshall-in-a-box-type pedal). Whenever I have that on (even at low gain settings), I am much more likely to start feeding back. The closer to the amps I get, the more likely it will be to feedback, but it will still feedback when I'm a cable-length away. I have several other od/distortion pedals (two TS808 clones, a Klon clone, a Rocktron Rampage, a Talos Ass Bite Overdrive) that I never had any feedback issues with. But again, the feedback is only when the middle pickup is involved. Middle position is worst, but it will also feedback in 2 and 4. It will feedback a little if I have other pedals (modulation, mostly) on and am playing clean right up on top of the amps, but not nearly as badly as when the Joyo is on.

I've heard about an MFD pup going microphonic, and wonder if maybe that's what this is (but don't really know what that means, exactly), but I simply don't have enough technical knowledge to diagnose this myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jason

Re: Feedback from the middle pickup on a Tribute S-500?

Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:55 pm

i don't think it's possible to put the pup in backwards (while it is still wired to the controls), and certainly impossible to do it upside down. it probably went microphonic. if the wax potting gets loose, which can happen from handling it, the windings will vibrate and cause the feedback.

Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:47 pm

I agree with lucifer...it's almost certainly a microphonic pickup. Be sure the magnet is still securely attached to the bottom of the pickup.

You MIGHT be able to get a replacement pickup under warranty, or simply take it to an EXPERIENCED tech to have it re-potted. That should cost less than $50.

Bill

Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:00 am

yeah, i guess i didn't actually mean upside down, just neck side put in on the bridge side.

it is less than a year old, so i'll try the warranty first. otherwise i'll need to find a tech i trust in northern va.

thanks!

Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:58 pm

Well, I went ahead and bought a used middle MFD from EBay and had it installed today. Then I got a message from my tech that the second pup is microphonic, too. The seller says it absolutely wasn't microphonic in his guitar and I have no reason not to believe him.

Is there something on/with/about the guitar itself that might be causing that pickup spot to go micro? The tech didn't see anything, but with the brains here, I figured I'd better double check.

Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:47 pm

send one pu out and have it refurbished since you have two ..... my 1996 USA S 500 middle and bridge went micro phonic and I went ahead and got all three brand new from G & L , I will send the originals out to get refurbished at a later date

Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:28 pm

jking wrote:yeah, i guess i didn't actually mean upside down, just neck side put in on the bridge side.

it is less than a year old, so i'll try the warranty first. otherwise i'll need to find a tech i trust in northern va.

thanks!
jking wrote:Well, I went ahead and bought a used middle MFD from EBay and had it installed today. Then I got a message from my tech that the second pup is microphonic, too. The seller says it absolutely wasn't microphonic in his guitar and I have no reason not to believe him.

Is there something on/with/about the guitar itself that might be causing that pickup spot to go micro? The tech didn't see anything, but with the brains here, I figured I'd better double check.

I'm surprised you did not take it back to the dealer for warranty repair. This would be my suggestion.
Regarding what might cause the pickup to go microphonic, see this post in our G&L Knowledgebase, G&L Tech Tips sub-forum: My MFD went massively microphonic! Suggestions?.

:ugeek:

Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:06 am

I have a suggestion. Get a piece of foam rubber to slip under the pickup. It could be some of the denser packing material, or perhaps some latex based foam you've cut from those Dr. Scholls shoe insoles. Improvise. Take the guard assembly off and slip it under the pickup...you might need to tack it in place with some double-sided tape. You won't need a lot...just enough to fit under the pickup to snug it up. Use too much and you could damage wiring or the pickup or the pickguard.

Try that and see if it minimizes the feedback. It mght be just the ticket. Be sure to let us know if it works.

Bill

Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:10 am

Craig, I bought it online from several states away. I contacted them to see if there was a way to get the work done by an authorized dealer near me. He got no response from G&L and when I called the dealers within an hour or so of me, they all said they were authorized to sell, not repair. Once I figured in shipping, it was cheaper just to buy a used pup and drive it to the shop down the street from me.

Boogie Bill, when you say to slip it "under the pickup", where exactly do you mean? I'll be able to go to the shop tonight, so I should be able to try it out then. Thanks for the suggestion!

Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:09 am

"under the pickup" == the space between the pickup and the guitars body.

crappy ascii art version

---- strings ----
____pick guard___
...... pickup .........
*****foam******
+++++wood++++++

So the foam/sponge layer stabilizes the pickup.

If this works I would recommend you do something to seal material you use or switch to something that won't hold moisture at all. I bought a guitar someone did this trick on with a sponge and over time it seemed to collect moisture and promoted corrosion.

Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:57 am

Thanks, bloodied fingers. I'll make sure to avoid a moisture absorbing material!

Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:05 am

so i was able to work with the tech a bit and try to find out what was going on. the metal bar at the base of the pick up had come loose somehow, and one of the winds had slipped down and was touching that metal bar. we refastened the bar and slid the wind back up. we also applied some non-absorbent foam-in-a-can stuff he suggested between the pup and the body. those fixes seem to have done the job. no more squeal!

i then left him to do the setup while i went off to a tutoring session (my night job). when i picked up the guitar it was clear he'd never worked on a G&L before, as the trem wasn't floating. that's an easy fix, though. overall i wasn't terribly impressed with that particular tech which is a shame, considering they're the only mom and pop store nearby. not sure why i had to go in and help him diagnose the problem and offer suggestions that i got from here and elsewhere rather than him being able to do it on his own. at least he gave me a very fair price (>$50) for essentially two pickup swaps and a semi-setup. if he'd've nickle and dimed me, i would have raised a stink. as it was, lesson learned.

thanks for your help everybody!

Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:15 am

jking wrote: as the trem wasn't floating.

That is something you need to tell the tech beforehand. G&L factory setup will not let you use the arm to raise a minor second easily. To do this, the trem need to be tilting forward. Something to keep in mind. Not everyone wants a floating trem.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:01 pm

glad its working.

Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:15 am

meowmix wrote:
jking wrote: as the trem wasn't floating.

That is something you need to tell the tech beforehand. G&L factory setup will not let you use the arm to raise a minor second easily. To do this, the trem need to be tilting forward. Something to keep in mind. Not everyone wants a floating trem.

I learned this as well but fortunately not too late. Tech asked if I wanted the tremolo decked so that triggered my thought, he hasn't worked on G&L before. Aside from fret work I do my own setups now and using current G&L specs I don't have any trouble pulling up a M2rd on all strings but the 1st. I don't understand the physics of why I get:

String/Interval

1st m2nd
2nd M2nd
3rd m3rd
4th M2nd
5th M2nd
6th M2nd

Good to know that the pickup plate can come loose and cause those problems. I don't think I would have considered that.