Tribute Comanche - all heavy weights?

Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:14 pm

I've been thinking about getting one to mess with but I've sent questions around to stores that had them in stock and all of them, whether ash or mahogany, were in the very high 8s up to 10lb range, mostly between 9.5 & 10. That's pretty hefty. Does that seem to be the norm? I think I've got that reply on about 10 so far. Any owners confirm that?

I'm also curious to hear about tonal differences from those who have played the mahogany ones and the ash ones side by side. My old USA was Ash so I'm familiar with that & the Z coil as a combo, not sure the mahogany (really some asian tree) would make much difference or not.

Re: Tribute Comanche - all heavy weights?

Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:16 pm

I have limited experience and have read of some experiences with weight. It is a crap shoot really. A semi-hollow can weigh more than a solid. I have an ASAT Classic that weighs about 8.5lbs. My Legacy is much lighter and my ASAT Special feels like balsa wood compared to the others. The ASAT's are ash and the Legacy is alder. If you want exact numbers I don't mind placing them on the bathroom scale. Let me know.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:29 pm

don't have any Tributes , but my USA Comanche is my lightest strat in the fleet

Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:41 pm

Ray Barbee Music wrote:I've been thinking about getting one to mess with but I've sent questions around to stores that had them in stock and all of them, whether ash or mahogany, were in the very high 8s up to 10lb range, mostly between 9.5 & 10. That's pretty hefty. Does that seem to be the norm? I think I've got that reply on about 10 so far. Any owners confirm that?

I'm also curious to hear about tonal differences from those who have played the mahogany ones and the ash ones side by side. My old USA was Ash so I'm familiar with that & the Z coil as a combo, not sure the mahogany (really some asian tree) would make much difference or not.

I think the only useful weight information on a guitar is if the selling dealers would include the weight AND the serial number with the description of each instrument.

Just my $0.02

:ugeek:

Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:07 pm

I very much agree. Most were either visible in pics or I'm sure they'd tell me if I asked. I didn't get one answer indicating a light or even medium one though.

James at TGS did let me request a light ASAT Junior when I ordered last week, we'll see Monday how light it is, but they unfortunately don't carry the Comanche.

Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:17 pm

Ray,

What do you mean he let you request a light one? You should be able to ask for anything. Whether the factory pays any attention, takes such requests or obliges is the key. Is this a request for stock on hand in The Seattle Guitar Store? I would think every dealer would let a customer choose a guitar based on weight. If this is for a custom ordered guitar, I would like to request very exquisite grain in the body wood. It seems just as important and less trouble to honer as weight because it can be done without having to place the wood on a scale or lift and compare. Nice wood is immediately recognized. It would not be asking for the nicest piece in the factory, which would require comparing all of them.

Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:07 pm

From what they had in stock. He was very cool about it.

I haven't had good luck with specific requests from G&L. The Comanche I got, I requested a thin neck and nicely figured ash, I got a fairly large neck and the least figured ash I'd ever seen. Looked more like Alder, or even Basswood. That was before the specific neck sizes.

Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:02 am

FYI-My heaviest G&L is my USA maple over mahogany ASAT Deluxe with the DF Vibrato, at 9.5 lbs. My Butterscotch Legacy Special in ash with the ebony board is close at 9.4.

Bill

Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:07 pm

I've seen US G&Ls range from light ish to insanely heavy. The insanely heavy ones are always Ash.

Overall, US G&LS seem to have the peak of their normal curve in the high medium range of weight. I don't see many light ones, I see a few absolute boat anchors, and most are medium, but the higher side of that.

Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:55 pm

My both Comanches, Tribute and US, do have exactly the same weight: 8.3 lbs