ASAT Special Trib Pick up "Too Hot'

Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:08 pm

I just got this ASAT Special Trib. The bridge pup distorts (extreme treble) on the 1st string. Should I adjust the poles?
Any one have this issue..

Re: ASAT Special Trib Pick up "Too Hot'

Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:35 pm

ccmarine wrote:I just got this ASAT Special Trib. The bridge pup distorts (extreme treble) on the 1st string. Should I adjust the poles?

What Tribute ASAT Special ? :searching: ;)

First, you might check the current setup per the latest factory setup listed in the G&L Knowledgebase: Current Factory setup for G&L guitars with hardtail bridges and
What should the pickup height setting be?. Then adjust the individual pole pieces for even response.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:54 pm

These PU's have a kind of "sizzle" to them in the high end, and that's why players like them.

I would first try temporarily lowering the treble side of the pickup to see if that helps your problem or not. If that helps, it may be that the PU is too close to the strings.

If that doesn't help, maybe you could be more specific about what's bumming you about the sound.

Will

Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:19 pm

Capo the guitar at 22 fret. Lower the PU a little using the center screw. Put a dime on top of the "high" e pole piece, and a nickle over the low e. Raise each side's pu height screw individually until both e's will mute as soon as plucked (because of the nickle and dime). I've found that's not a bad place to start, as far as distance. A dime is about 1.5mm (3-4/64ths) and a nickel is 2mm (5-6/64ths.). Actual gaps will be a little wider because I only want you to raise them till a plucked sting is muted, not until it is wedged between the string and polepiece.

-Tim

Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:51 pm

ccmarine wrote:I just got this ASAT Special Trib. The bridge pup distorts (extreme treble) on the 1st string. Should I adjust the poles?

Just to get this out of the way, are these new strings? Have you observed this problem with two different sets of strings? Could be a bad high E string.

If it is just the high E and not also the B, adjusting the pole piece would be more likely to help than lowering one end of the pickup. You might even try raising the others individually while lowering the high E pole piece.