G&L Custom Shop ASAT Deluxe Semi-Hollow in Strawberryburst..

Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:59 pm

From posts on G&L's and G&L Custom Shop facebook pages:

G&L Custom Shop ASAT Deluxe Semi-Hollow in Strawberryburst over swamp ash.
1-ply white guard, quartersawn maple neck with rosewood fingerboard, Light Tint Satin Finish.
CS2210095 is headed to Wholesale Music Instruments in West Melbourne, Florida

Re: G&L Custom Shop ASAT Deluxe Semi-Hollow in Strawberrybur

Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:05 am

The gradient between the strawberry burst and the center seems fairly abrupt in the first photo. That is I think instead of going from strawberry to plain in the space of 0.5cm, it might look less abrupt if that gradient area was 2cm or more. At first glace it looked like there was no gradient at all.

It probably looks better in person.

Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:29 pm

If I were labelling this model, I would say it is a G&L Custom Shop ASAT Special HH Semi-Hollow ... given that it does not have a Maple top on the body AND it has a pickguard. :o ;)

Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:01 pm

DanDoulogos wrote:The gradient between the strawberry burst and the center seems fairly abrupt in the first photo. That is I think instead of going from strawberry to plain in the space of 0.5cm, it might look less abrupt if that gradient area was 2cm or more. At first glace it looked like there was no gradient at all.

It probably looks better in person.

Just a thought: since the factory labelled it as an ASAT Deluxe SH, the Paint Dept folks painted it not expecting it to have a pickguard.

Here is a picture of my Cherryburst ASAT Deluxe SH (no F-hole) on the left:

Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:26 am

Craig wrote:Just a thought: since the factory labelled it as an ASAT Deluxe SH, the Paint Dept folks painted it not expecting it to have a pickguard.

Maybe, but looking at say, this tobacco burst (below) you can see that the fade from the periphery is quite gradual (even with a pickguard).

Here you can see that the base stain looks to be the same (albeit diluted) color as the burst - lets say both are on the "tobacco" spectrum.

But in the case of this strawberry burst a wider band of solid strawberry on the periphery, fading abruptly into what looks to be an almost clear finish - just seems to exaggerate the effect.

I think if the base color was washed with (more?) strawberry in the same way the tobacco base seems to be washed with tobacco - the abruptness would be less off-putting.

This is, of course, all my personal opinion on burst-finish aesthetics. I'm not suggesting someone made a mistake or anything. I am just working out an understanding for myself of what it is about the transition from corona to core in the original photos seem so abrupt to me.

I'd say it's because the strawberry color is too thin in the core, and the solid color border is two wide - the fade should have started at the edge and not a few centimeters in. That's what seems "off" to me at least.

Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:39 pm

Maybe they were aiming for a not fully ripened strawberry?!?

Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:50 am

tomanche wrote:Maybe they were aiming for a not fully ripened strawberry?!?

:cheers: