Large MFD of SC-2 bridge position availability?

Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:40 am

I read this on a dealer's website. I looked through the G&L online store and only saw the standard ASAT Special pickups and the bridge pickup for the SC-3. If the SC-3 bridge pickup is not the one mentioned for the SC-2 is it possible to purchase this SC-2 MFD separately aside from an option in a special order guitar?

If you want to rock out even a little more, will install the higher output ASAT bridge pickup used in the SC-2 for just $xx. It has a stronger midrange and slightly rounder highs that is perfect for higher gain styles.

Large MFD for SC-3 Bridge or ASAT Classic Custom Neck pickups

Large MFD standard for ASAT Special

Re: Large MFD of SC-2 bridge position availability?

Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:02 am

Salmon wrote:I read this on a dealer's website. I looked through the G&L online store and only saw the standard ASAT Special pickups and the bridge pickup for the SC-3. If the SC-3 bridge pickup is not the one mentioned for the SC-2 is it possible to purchase this SC-2 MFD separately aside from an option in a special order guitar?

If you want to rock out even a little more, will install the higher output ASAT bridge pickup used in the SC-2 for just $xx. It has a stronger midrange and slightly rounder highs that is perfect for higher gain styles.

Large MFD standard for ASAT Special

It's listed as the S-3 not SC-3 pickup in the On-Line Store, however, I believe that is an error and it should be listed as the SC-2 bridge pickup. I will check with Dave and Jose about that.
So, if that is the case, then yes, you can order them from the On-Line Store. I am not aware of being able to special order a guitar with this overwound pickup as an option,
where did you hear that?

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:31 pm

Craig, if that is correct it will be just great!
I shall be looking out for your news on this. Thank you for making the enquiry.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:45 pm

Craig wrote:It's listed as the S-3 not SC-3 pickup in the On-Line Store, however, I believe that is an error and it should be listed as the SC-2 bridge pickup. I will check with Dave and Jose about that.
So, if that is the case, then yes, you can order them from the On-Line Store. I am not aware of being able to special order a guitar with this overwound pickup as an option,
where did you hear that?

Thanks, I didn't notice the item in the G&L online store said S-3 and not SC-3.

In that item's description it states, "For ASAT Special and SC-2 models, please see Jumbo MFD single coil (standard). " which seems to contradict the idea that the SC-2 bridge is a different large MFD.

According to the Knowledgebase the SC-2 and ASAT Special pickups are identical. Reading through this chart it appears that the ASAT Classic Custom's neck pickup is the only large MFD that is different and available (for the time being at least?).
The ASAT Classic Custom and ASAT Classic Custom Semi-hollow neck pickup pole piece bushings are longer than the standard ASAT Special pickup. An extra 200 windings were added, but they stack up entirely differently and the magnet is further down under as well. They are warm and fat but still have tonal characteristics of the standard MFD single coil.

I read about the option for swapping out the pickups at Upfront Guitars where it is mentioned in two of their ads for ASAT Specials:

the 5th paragraph
the 3rd paragraph

Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:52 pm

Craig,

While you're checking whether there is an error, could you also ask whether either or both are used in the ASAT Junior and ASAT Super? This would mean one is wound with 43-gauge wire and the other with 42-gauge and reverse with respect to the former.

- Jos

Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:41 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:Craig,

While you're checking whether there is an error, could you also ask whether either or both are used in the ASAT Junior and ASAT Super? This would mean one is wound with 43-gauge wire and the other with 42-gauge and reverse with respect to the former.

- Jos

I forwarded your question off to Dave.

Stay tuned.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:59 pm

Thanks Craig, many waiting for the answer, hopefully with link to new addition for on-line store! :banana:

Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:00 pm

Craig wrote:
yowhatsshakin wrote:Craig,

- Jos

I forwarded your question off to Dave.

Stay tuned.

While on the NAMM trip, Dean and I stopped at the factory and I had a discussion about the SC-2 bridge pickup with Spencer Brown. He confirmed that
the SC-2 bridge pickup and the ASAT Super bridge pickup are the same. The ASAT Junior pickups were less overwound than the SC-2 bridge and the ASAT
Super pickups. I also discussed with Dave about the entries for the Jumbo (aka Soapbar) Single coil MFD pickups listed in the G&L On-Line store as a followup
to my previous email to him and Jose. I am quite sure that the one that is listed as an "S-3 (RW/RP bridge position)" is really the SC-2 (and ASAT Super) overwound
bridge pickup. I have also followed up with another email to Dave regarding this, along with other corrections and omissions on the main G&L website.

For those interested in getting an SC-2 bridge pickup or ASAT Super bridge pickup, you should order the one currently listed as an "S-3 (RW/RP bridge position)" in the
PICKUP - JUMBO MFD SINGLE COIL (OTHER) section of the On-Line Store.

Hope this helps.

Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:20 am

Thanks Craig. Great sleuthing, as per usual :thumbup:

- Jos

Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:58 pm

So as far as I can tell there are three errors that will be corrected?

S-3 to SC-2 mentioned in two areas and references to S-2 as though it were a standard large MFD.

Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:26 pm

GREAT work, Craig; thank you most sincerely.
This is wonderful news. I had no idea this was available, and it's a prayer answered.

Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:53 am

BUT, frustratingly, I just found that Creme-covered ones are out of stock. Please someone make a few soon......

Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:29 pm

Creme colored pickup covers are in stock as a separate item. How easily can the pickup cover be swapped on an MFD? Are they adhered with wax like the Z-coils?

Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:15 pm

NickHorne wrote:BUT, frustratingly, I just found that Creme-covered ones are out of stock. Please someone make a few soon......

They look to be available now.

Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:16 pm

YES!
Wonderful. Got one.
And will probably get another.
Cannot thank you enough for this info.