Seen At My Local G&L Dealer

Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:18 pm

Two prototype "Legacy Cat" guitars came into Alley Cat Music today, and the owner took one outside so I could share a few shots. These Cats have the same controls as the ASAT Cats, but on a Legacy body with a DFV. The bodies are pine. The one I didn't take a picture of has the same redburst body, but with a rosewood neck. Like the ASAT Cats, the Legacy Cats have a waterslide serial number instead of the metal tag.

Last edited by TBillPSU on Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Seen At My Local G&L Dealer

Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:27 pm

Very cool!

y2kc

Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:57 pm

:sick: Thats one of the ugliest guitars I've seen.

Seems that there's a lot of modifying of CNC templates going on in this guitar, which was something that prevented a lot of good ideas for the LE2 going through :whome:

Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:44 pm

I actually like it. Looks great to me.

Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:53 pm

I like it too !! ..... I would probably rather have a PTB strat type controls over the ASAT tone controls , but what the heck it's a first proto type

Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:12 pm

Beautiful!

- Jos

Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:15 pm

blargfromouterspace wrote::sick: Thats one of the ugliest guitars I've seen.

Seems that there's a lot of modifying of CNC templates going on in this guitar, which was something that prevented a lot of good ideas for the LE2 going through :whome:

Here is another image from the G&L factory:

Using a hodgepodge of parts for the sake of producing something unique is truly a Frankenstein approach to guitar design with a predictably hideous result.

The idea of PTB in a Tele/ASAT is innovative but eliminating PTB from an S-style G&L seems counterproductive.

I accept a Tele control plate on a T-style body because it marries well enough with a traditional Tele ashtray bridge and it has a certain nostalgic/traditional element. Yet a T-style control plate offers nothing that could not be featured using a more aesthetically harmonious form.

I am a huge fan of MFD's. The mix of large and small MFD's in an S-style body is debatable aesthetically and as a tone configuration. On its own I could accept it using traditional S-style controls with PTB wiring but only two knobs for three pickups and throwing in a T-style control plate doesn't make sense to me.

Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:40 am

For what its worth, I don't care for it either. If it ain't broke don't fix it....................

Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:10 am

I'm with Jamie, Salmon and Jim. I just don't get what they were trying to achieve with this. The Redburst finish doesn't do it for me either.

Jamie made a good point about CNC template modifications apparently being OK for this model, even though they were show-stoppers for every LE2 concept that wasn't a modified Fallout. I'm also curious about how this could get a decal instead of a microwave tag on the back of the headstock...

Ken

Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:47 am

they are made specifically for Alley Cat Music and I can understand why they are wanting to share the tele Cat spec's with the Strat type of guys in this case ....My bet is that Alley Cat had some musicians in there that like the sound of the ASAT Cat but don't like Tele shapes but it's just a guess , if you want one you have to go through Alley Cat Music to get it , just like the LE 2 through Music Source

Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:39 am

blargfromouterspace wrote::sick: Thats one of the ugliest guitars I've seen.

They likely need to start and stop an number of CNC programs to get this "effect". Since they've established how to do this with the ASAT Cat, they likely just stopped an Legacy body outline program before it got the run the control plate or pickup section.

I agree, it looks anachronistic, for the player to doesn't like a the sound or controls a Legacy and doesn't like the body shape of an ASAT? "Steam Punk Rockabilly" seems like a micro-audience to me. :shocked003:

Personally, it would be more attractive with Legacy Deluxe PTB controls, while at the same time offering some sonic difference from the ASAT CAT.

With regard to the LE-2- The reason we were ABLE to get as much programming specific to the LE-2 done was because the Fallout was still in development when we were spec-ing it out.

Since then, G&L has hired a new CNC programmer, IN HOUSE, whereas they had farmed out previous programming efforts. This has lead to more flexibility for special runs, etc.

Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:00 am

Again, I like it and I bet with the pine body it offers a comfy feel and a snappy sound.

y2kc

Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:41 am

JagInTheBag wrote:Since then, G&L has hired a new CNC programmer, IN HOUSE, whereas they had farmed out previous programming efforts. This has lead to more flexibility for special runs, etc.

That's good news. I look forward to seeing them make this person earn their keep :thumbup:

Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:44 pm

blargfromouterspace wrote:
JagInTheBag wrote:Since then, G&L has hired a new CNC programmer, IN HOUSE, whereas they had farmed out previous programming efforts. This has lead to more flexibility for special runs, etc.

That's good news. I look forward to seeing them make this person earn their keep :thumbup:

Something like a G-200 or an HG-1? Is it too soon to start the voting on the LE-3? :scared0016:

Ken

Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:37 pm

Excellent!!

Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:13 pm

Just wanted to let everyone know that last Friday night I had a chance to hear the Legacy Cat's designer play the rosewood board prototype at one of his gigs. I'm happy to report that it sounded fantastic ā€” same great tone and versatility as the ASAT Cat. :thumbup: :happy0065:

Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:37 am

TBillPSU wrote:Just wanted to let everyone know that last Friday night I had a chance to hear the Legacy Cat's designer play the rosewood board prototype at one of his gigs. I'm happy to report that it sounded fantastic ā€” same great tone and versatility as the ASAT Cat. :thumbup: :happy0065:

Do you have a sound clip? In what way is it different or better than a standard Legacy? If the tone is significantly different, I'd like to see that pup combo in a funky offset body myself...

Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:53 pm

Something like a G-200 or an HG-1? Is it too soon to start the voting on the LE-3? :scared0016:

Ken[/quote]

How about voting to bring back the black powder coated crinkle hard tail bridge and other black powder coated crinkle hardware?

Perhaps a petition to use more exotic woods?

A Cavalier reissue?

Market the aforementioned under the yet-to-be-created Heritage Line of hardware & wood options, charge a little extra for it, and leave these ugly guitars and the muscle car paint job in behind in the "failed experiment" pile.

Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:57 am

JagInTheBag wrote:
TBillPSU wrote:Just wanted to let everyone know that last Friday night I had a chance to hear the Legacy Cat's designer play the rosewood board prototype at one of his gigs. I'm happy to report that it sounded fantastic ā€” same great tone and versatility as the ASAT Cat. :thumbup: :happy0065:

Do you have a sound clip? In what way is it different or better than a standard Legacy? If the tone is significantly different, I'd like to see that pup combo in a funky offset body myself...

I'm awakening this thread after four months because of the newly created video by Alley Cat Music. I've heard that there are some studio-quality sound clips in the works also, but the sound quality from this iPad video is pretty good to my ear.

To answer Patrick's question about difference between a Legacy Cat and a standard Legacy: there's no doubt in my mind that it's the Jumbo MFDs. Is it better? I like it better for two reasons: first the MFDs; and second, the versatility. The first one is to be expected, since I dig the sound of MFDs more than Alnicos. To me, the second reason is the better one. Having the two Jumbo MFDs in the neck and bridge positions with the S-500 MFD in the middle gives me the broadest range of sound options of any of the guitars I own. Although it's not uncommon for me to carry three guitars when I play, if were somehow restricted to carrying only one, it would be my Legacy Cat (with my ASAT Cat being a close second). [Side note: I'll be posting my Legacy Cat pics as soon as I stop procrastinating.]

And with regard to having that pup combo in an offset body ... could Patrick be thinking about something like an "SC-2 Cat?" I'm not going to put words in his mouth, but as of now I'm definitely thinking about it! I expect to drop by Alley Cat some time this week, and I'm going to bring up the subject.

In the meantime, here's the video:
phpBB [video]

Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:29 pm

sounds great ..... the big MFD are nice , should be a option on S type guitars ...... amazing how much difference between all the guitar , wood sure has a effect on sound in this video