Z-coil Pickups

Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:12 am

Over the past few years I've read a fair number of posts that state the Z-coils are some of the quietest, if not THE quietest, pickups people had ever "not" heard. After have plugged in my new Comanche VI to my old MusicMan amp, I must concur. When my other single coil G&L's are plugged in to this amp, they emit a very noticeable buzz when at rest. The Comanche is silent as can be.

Fresh in idea flash, along the lines of zapcosong's idea about coming up with ad campaigns for G&L products. How's about this: Z-coils of Comanche being likened to Native American quietly sneaking up on game, barefooted, or perhaps in moccasins. Stealthy, quiet, efficient. Total control, coiled, ready for action. A snake of course would work for the "coiling" aspect too, but the moccasins for "Comanche", even better IMHO. The drawing could be very much in the style of the classic Nacona boots ads. I'm just thinking out loud, for cryin' out loud.

Re: Z-coil Pickups

Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:03 am

Not a bad analogy..but sweet guitar nonetheless. do my eyes deceive me or is that a more unusual body style? the lower bout looks a bit funkier (in a good way) in shape. how is the neck on that baby? apologies if you've answered this before.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:28 am

pico peachy wrote:Not a bad analogy..but sweet guitar nonetheless. do my eyes deceive me or is that a more unusual body style? the lower bout looks a bit funkier (in a good way) in shape. how is the neck on that baby? apologies if you've answered this before.

The body style is an example of what was used for the Strat-style bodies prior to perhaps 1991-2. It definitely has a thinner waist on it, making it a bit curvier, at least through the mid-section, than the new style.

The neck is nice, however it bit thicker feeling than on my S-500. It may also be that 12" radius that's making it a bit different. It's a beautiful guitar, and has great tonal variability (Be workin' on that for a while). The only drawback that I find, is the same drawback that I find with my early model S-500, that the frets are pretty short from the factory. My fingertip:fingernail shape is such that I can fret notes much better with tall frets, and avoid nail contact with the fretboard. Other than that, pure sweetness.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:04 pm

Ah, that's a beauty you have there! Looks just like the one I saw in the window of a tiny San Francisco guitar shop ca. 1992 and fell in love with. Finally bought a Studio VI 15 years later and have loved it ever since. Fantastic sparkling tones, quiet operation. And, my Music Man loves it too! But if you ever miss that single-coil hum, just select the upper coil of the bridge and the lower coil of the middle on the VI and you're all set! I've only just started using that tone, but I like! I also like the middle full on, with the upper neck and lower bridge added. Tres coil! :) Scroll down the link for a look:
http://uponamouse.com/instruments.html