S-500 on Reverb. $$$$$ Thoughts?

Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:49 pm

Nice looking guitar but the price seems pretty steep ($11,500) :shocked003: and it's got a story to go with it.

https://reverb.com/item/335349-1992-g-l ... -existance

Maybe they'll throw in the amp for free. :shifty:

Re: S-500 on Reverb. $$$$$ Thoughts?

Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:23 pm

fianoman wrote:Nice looking guitar but the price seems pretty steep ($11,500) :shocked003: and it's got a story to go with it.

This S-500 Signature along with two others are registered with Teal (test color) finish. There are a total of 8 instruments listed
with Teal finish in the G&L Registry.

I just shot an email to Dave with your link and this link to the 8 instruments listed in the G&L Registry and asked for his thoughts about it.

Let's see what he has to say about it.

Stay tuned.

:ugeek:

Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:37 pm

Seller is definitely wrong about the year of Leo's passing. It was 1991, not 1992. :problem:

Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:46 pm

There have been some ridiculous claims in listings for older G&Ls, but this one takes the cake. Seeing as the body date stamp in almost a year after Leo's passing, and about six months after BBE took control, I think it's safe to call the alleged Leo Fender connection BS. :thumbdown:

If there are no undisclosed problems with this guitar, I think $850-$950 would be a reasonable offer.

Ken

ps - That is a nice color. I wonder why G&L never took it to production. It looks to me like a nice halfway point between Belair Green and Cobalt Blue. Speaking of which, I would love to see this Teal finish and Cobalt Blue back on the color list...

Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:58 pm

Craig wrote:
fianoman wrote:Nice looking guitar but the price seems pretty steep ($11,500) :shocked003: and it's got a story to go with it.

This S-500 Signature along with two others are registered with Teal (test color) finish. There are a total of 8 instruments listed
with Teal finish in the G&L Registry.

I just shot an email to Dave with your link and this link to the 8 instruments listed in the G&L Registry and asked for his thoughts about it.

Let's see what he has to say about it.

Stay tuned.

Here's Dave's replies:

Hi Craig,

Well, you already know that Leo didn’t oversee this as Leo had passed away a year before. I don’t remember the color, though maybe we were on the way to Emerald Blue. Off the top of my head I think we got that together in ’92. A serial number would be helpful.

I don’t recall anyone trying to sell this guitar to me, though maybe someone sent an email; that happens here and there. Even if someone did offer it to me, it wouldn’t be something that would be useful to me. I only buy older G&Ls when I want an example of something to refresh my memory.

Thanks, Craig.

Dave

Hi Craig,

G030174 is an S-500 Signature Series (Leo signature) in EMR with rosewood completed on March 12, 1992. No special markings or notes around the logbook entry. Default 3-ply white guard as shown in the pics. EMR is Emerald, the shorthand for Emerald. EMR is shown on many instruments around that time and later.

Again, my recollection isn’t perfect, but I believe EMR is Emerald Blue, the same thing we did a lot of in the ‘90s. I have no reason to think this is different from a normal production S-500 Signature Series of the time.

Thanks, Craig.

Dave

I also found that a color called Blue Emerald was listed in the 1992-93 Catalog (no color chart, just listed colors).
Here's the page:

I think KenC is correct on the going price range for this one.

Hope this helps.

Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:45 pm

Craig wrote:Seller is definitely wrong about the year of Leo's passing. It was 1991, not 1992. :problem:

Yeah. Knew that.

Thanks for the fact checking Craig. Looks like the story is breaking down a bit. :yawn: I couldn't imagine G&L wanting it at that price. Nice color though!

Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:30 pm

fianoman wrote:
Craig wrote:Seller is definitely wrong about the year of Leo's passing. It was 1991, not 1992. :problem:

Yeah. Knew that.

Thanks for the fact checking Craig. Looks like the story is breaking down a bit. :yawn: I couldn't imagine G&L wanting it at that price. Nice color though!

This, I believe, solves a mystery (at least to me) about that Teal (test color) finish. It really is the Blue Emerald solid color that is listed in the 1992-93 Catalog. In the 1993-94
Catalog, G&L changed this color from a solid color to a metallic color and renamed it Emerald Blue and it is still available. So, thank you for post on this guitar. And I will be changing
the Teal (test color) to Blue Emerald (solid color) in the G&L Registry.

Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:27 am

Nice guitar! Beautiful color and blah blah blah. Damn that is a nice color!

The price seems just a tad high but what do I know.

Happy Turkey day,

y2kc

Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:55 pm

Craig wrote:
In the 1993-94 Catalog, G&L changed this color from a solid color to a metallic color and renamed it Emerald Blue and it is still available.

Would this be an early example of Emerald Blue ? (I think the seller mistakenly called it BelAir Green)

'94 Legacy on ebay

Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:50 pm

Elwood wrote:
Craig wrote:
In the 1993-94 Catalog, G&L changed this color from a solid color to a metallic color and renamed it Emerald Blue and it is still available.

Would this be an early example of Emerald Blue ? (I think the seller mistakenly called it BelAir Green)

'94 Legacy on ebay

Yes, that looks like Emerald Blue (Metallic). Belair Green is a solid color (non-metallic).

Here's the 1993-94 Catalog Color Chart we have in the Gallery: