Locking tuner swap on Classic S

Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:18 am

I have a Classic S. She has G&L "slotted" tuners & I always have a problem putting strings on her. I would like to swap out the G&L tuners for locking tuners.

Are the any tuners that are a direct swap for the originals?

sanx
Craig

Re: Locking tuner swap on Classic S

Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:04 am

Knotty, The Schaller Locking Item No.0661 in the Stewmac cat. is a direct drop in. That is also what I have on my Classic S. They are an excellent choice. All my G&Ls have locking tuners except for a Tribute Asat Special. -- Darwin

Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:20 am

sanx Darwin

Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:54 pm

I'm looking for locking tuners for my Legacy. What's a good direct replacement? And which brand is the lightest?

Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:04 pm

Jimmy, if you tuners have the G&L logo the Schallers that I mentioned above are a drop in. If they are Sperzels then they can be directly replaced with Sperzel Locking. The Two different brands are not interchangeable without drilling. I have both kinds and do not know the weight but expect that they are very similar.-- Darwin.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:34 pm

Yep, Mine have the G&L logo on them. So it looks like Schallers for me. Thanks Darwin..how do you know so much?

Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:08 pm

Jimmy, I don't know that much but I have 10 G&Ls and I like locking tuners and I got the Stewmac from this board some time ago. I have Fenders with Schaller locking tuners but they are a different animal. Its always best to ask before buying. I have been burned before and there is generally someone here who has an answer. Thanks-- Darwin

Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:33 pm

Yeah..I have 10 or more G&L's myself. I may be nuts.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:53 pm

I was told that the Schaller lockers are slightly heavier than the Sperzels. I don't have sets with which to verify this though. Perhaps Stewmac can tell you the weight differential? That said, it's probably always best to match brands in order to match holes, etc. Good luck.