G&L ASAT Case Glue

Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:01 am

I recently purchased a used but mint/almost new condition G&L ASAT Classic and couldn't be happier with the sound, look, and fit and finish.

The case the seller provided is a G&L branded hardshell case. One thing I noticed about my case is that there is a "glue type odor" in the lining. I've had this before on some Fender hardshell cases as well and I realize it is common and has nothing to do with G&L themselves. Once stored in the case, the guitar does temporarily pick up the glue odor but its not offensive and goes away after some time out of the case.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, has anyone tried airing it out for a day or two or come up with a work around? I want to avoid any chemicals or fabreeze.

Re: G&L ASAT Case Glue

Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:52 am

It's common with most of the plastic cases from SKB and Gator, as well as other manufacturers. It's a product of the various plastics and adhesives outgassing as they age and it's my understanding that this is a chemical process.

As to airing it out; it takes a long time. Several years ago I set a new EBMM case (SKB-made) out in the garage to air out. Opened it up, sprayed it down thoroughly with Fabreeze, aimed a running fan it, and left it there for a week. The only effect was to make my garage smell like the inside of the case.

G&G tolex cases don't do that...

Ken...