NGD ASAT SPECIAL

Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:43 pm

my main gig guitar has been an ASAT special for the past 5 years. It's an early 90s 3 bolt, beat to hell with tone for days. I bought it from a guy in Nashville of the TGP maybe 5 or 6 years ago. At the time I was playing Heritage les pauls and semis but wanted to try something different. I Loved it to death and eventually sold all the others except for some sentimental childhood superstrats and such. I have played probably 150-200 gigs with this instrument in that time. So much so the cowboy frets are wearing and the input jack and knobs and switches are getting buggy. I tried a few other brands, options. When I would get the guitar home, I would play it, like it, but ultimately, I always gravitated to the ASAT and those fantastic MFD pickups.
It's the perfect amount of gain, bell like tone, and clarity if you back off the attack and volume a bit. There is just so much tone in the ASAT special.
Anyway, MF is running a deal on the ASAT special with maple neck for the holidays and after trying two other guitars and knowing they would always be #2 compared to my ASAT, I decided what the heck, let me try another G&L. If its close to guitar I own already, it's a winner.
MY GOD. this guitar showed up with the best set up I have ever had on any guitar. just amazing and perfect. pickups the right distance from the strings, freight buzz non existent, the Neck straight and perfect. I know they pleck their guitars and it shows. Of course the neck profile is perfect for me. And the tone, from the newer MFD pickups? yep, very close and exception. I honestly didn't expect this instrument to live up to the one I had. I figured I had lucked into a magic instrument. My experience with Gibson, Heritage, Fender, ect, has been that the quality and set up varied from guitar to guitar and you had to kind of hunt for the right one. I bought a Kirn Barncaster a few years back and didn't love the pickups. It was a fine guitar and the laquer smell was amazing, but honestly, the playability of this instrument is better and I have never heard a pickup I liked better than the G&L MFDs. Super excited.

So tell me, what the heck is G&L doing and are they all this good out of the box?
Last edited by Craig on Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: admin fixed image post

Re: NGD ASAT SPECIAL

Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:31 pm

Nice! Sounds like a great guitar. Congrats!

Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:29 am

Classic G&L story ! Right ? ^^

I think I want to see the other one, the beat up one ! :)

I don't know about how good they are out of the box... I have 3 G&L and 2 are 2d hand and the third is new but i know that the shop i bought it to set up their guitar before sending... the only complain i have about the new one is the cheap look and feel of the switch selector...

Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:48 pm

that is great looking ASAT, really nice with the maple neck. I almost jumped on the MF deal. I would have if I had not just picked up a '92 ASAT.

Congrats