No SN? Strange Legacy...

Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:14 pm

Hi Guys, I just got this guitar today and I was cleaning it up to play it.
(used guitar purchased from a reputable music store)

The Legacy logo, I've never seen one like this, and I can't seem to locate any serial # on this.

I have several images:

Any help on what year this one was made?
I saw the color on this, and I had to have it, grain looks killer and it sounds great.

Re: No SN? Strange Legacy...

Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:49 am

looks like a Legacy Tribute ?

Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:42 am

It looks like a Tribute model with the "Tribute Series" logo and the serial number removed from the back of the headstock.

Was it sold to you as a Tribute or a USA model ?

Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:05 am

Another case of a Tribute Series instrument being doctored to be sold as a US model. :o

See: Which vibrato arm, Early or current?.

Your guitar is a Tribute Series Legacy HB. Look closely below the G&L logo and you might be able to see where "Tribute Series" part of the waterslide decal was removed.
Also, does the back of the headstock satin finish look like it was sanded off. That area is where the serial number would have been.

If you bought this from a G&L dealer, you might want to bring this to their attention. :searching: :think: :mad0025:

:ugeek:

Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:25 pm

yes, looking at it closer looks like its been sanded,
The dealer is not a G&L distrib. The guitar was second hand trade-in.
$399 incl taxes (CND) so $308 US

I had no idea where the SN would have been when I purchased it. I liked the color and sound, nice clean.

Should I take this back? stolen goods? What would be the year/used sale rate on this?
I feel bad if this was someones axe that got nicked... likely it was just a way to psss it of as US tho, dunno.
It wasn't sold to me as a US made, just "as-is"

Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:34 pm

The price is about right for a used Tribute. Your only problem might be if you sell it at a later date.

Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:42 pm

Yeah, I like it, want to keep it and would like to know the original serial if it can be found via what I have provided and get a certificate sent to me through G&L.

My overall idea here is:
1: find the serial, check if it was stolen (if so, get my $ back and inform the store)
2: if it a case of "make it look US made" I'd like to get a new headstock decal.
3: Hyro-graphic the headstock to match a new Hydro-graphic redo for the mother of TS pearl pickguard.
4: place the tribute headstock decal and serial back on the headstock... done deal.

Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:05 pm

I'm surprised any reputable guitar shop would take in a used guitar with no serial number. To me, it would be a red flag for stolen goods.

Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:26 pm

I guess I'm not all that surprised. There are dealers that have no idea what a G&L is. This dealer may have known but at least the price reflects that it is a Tribute. It looks like a very nice guitar to me and for that price if you are happy with it I would keep it and not worry about the rest. As for future resale I don't think that it will make a difference. The label in the pickup cavity clearly identifies it as a Tribute. The important thing is that it is not represented as a US model. It sure is a beauty!

In fact, if it were mine, I would finish the neck with a high gloss vintage tint clear coat. Boy would that be a classy rig. -- Darwin

Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:28 am

I have a guitar that has had the same thing done. Mine is a 2011 Legacy Tribute, Blueburst model. The Tribute marking is completely gone, but the Made in Indonesia circular marking, including the serial number, can just be made out in good light with a magnifier. The fact that it was a Tribute model with the markings removed was disclosed by the seller before I swapped for the guitar, so there was no misleading going on in the deal. I've considered contacting G&L to see if I could get a new decal, has anyone done that?