Should my big hands and I go for a "Classic Wide C" neck?

Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:23 am

I have very big hands. Not fat fingers, but among the "longest" that I've encountered :)
I'm currently playing a 2014 Fender American Std. Strat, which has a fairly slim neck. It took me some time getting used to it, but now I'm adapted.
The thing is, I think I may not be using all my potential with this kind of neck.

I tried a 2nd hand G&L Legacy with a "Classic Wide C" neck (I can get a pretty nice deal on it). After playing it for a few minutes, it still felt clumsy.
I can't expect to feel natural with such a neck after playing a completely different one extensively for the past year or so.
I also don't have a lot of experience with playing different guitars and adapting to new necks, so I can't "predict" what will happen so much.

Any advice?

BTW, I also really liked the tremolo system, and the guitar felt really solid overall. So it's tempting...

Re: Should my big hands and I go for a "Classic Wide C" neck

Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:39 pm

Do you have any experience of other wide necks that you can use as a helpful reference? An acoustic, maybe?
Electric necks wider than 1 11/16" are not that common.
I love my G&L 1 3/4" ones, but I am aiming for total clarity, often with quite a lot going on and open strings mixed in, and some big bending at the nut end of the board too.
A jazz chord-comper would almost certainly disagree!

Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:36 am

Thanks for the reply!!!
I couldn't hold myself and bought the guitar already... And after playing it for some time, it really feels "right" in my hands :) I actually feel lighter with my left hand. So for now, it looks like I may make it my main guitar. Or at least, for now, I'm excited.

BTW, the neck is actually 1 11/16” at the nut; the guy who sold it said it was a "Wide C", so I looked it up and thought it to be the new "Classic Wide C" which is 1 3/4”, but it turns out to be "G&L #3 Wide C" which is 1 11/16”.
It's really cool that at this price you can get a customized guitar.

Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:59 am

hi danglam, welcome to g&ldp!
post some pix of your legacy sometime.
we like visuals around here!

Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:17 am

I'm glad to hear it's turned out well! :happy0065:
G&L's stock thing is 1 5/8", which is classic in a certain way, but a bit narrow for some of us.
A G&L neck in 1 11/16" should feel very nice. And yes, their custom neck options are great.

Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:26 am

NickHorne wrote:G&L's stock thing is 1 5/8", which is classic in a certain way, but a bit narrow for some of us.
A G&L neck in 1 11/16" should feel very nice. And yes, their custom neck options are great.

This changed in July 1, 2015 with the new neck options.
For most guitar models, the standard neck specification is the "Modern Classic - 1 11/16” nut width with 1 5/8” string spacing allows a generous edge roll for superb comfort without string fall-off.
Fairly slim with mild taper from 0.820” at 1st fret to 0.870” at the 12th fret." with the 9.5" fretboard radius. See: July 1, 2015-present G&L U.S. Specifications and Options.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:01 pm

Thanks everyone :)

Not the best picture, but here she is:

Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:07 pm

Beautiful what color is that?

Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:11 pm

vaughn44 wrote:Beautiful what color is that?

The body is fullerton red with a 3-ply pearl pickguard and the neck finish is satin vintage tint.

Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:19 pm

Hope you enjoy it .I wish they made it easy to buy the necks I would buy a maple for mine.