G&L "strats"

Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:17 pm

Hi guys,

I got my first G&L a week ago, a 2006 Korean (I believe) Tribute S-500 and am still very much in honeymoon with this guitar. With some 40 guitars in my roster this one easilly joined the ones with the top ranks.

So that got me thinking immediately in a USA-made G&L.... and so my question is: which are the main strat-type models (Legacy and S-500?) and what are the main differences between them?

Here's what I love about a guitar: that's one that I can forget about it as soon as I start playing it. I like gear that "stands out of the way".. if I may put it this way. So, for instance, I want a tremolo that I can set up and forget about it, and that I may play (mild use, much like current Gospel/R&B style use) and don't have to think about loose tremolo arms, strings going out of tune, etc. Perhaps this is what people call a workhorse. Strats, even though they're not my number one guitars (and maybe they are...) they always felt like a super comfortable pair of old shoes :D So that's why I'm asking about them.

Thanks for any help, and promise to learn what I can here with you all.

Re: G&L "strats"

Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:26 pm

The fundamental difference between the S-500 and Legacy are the pickups. The S-500 has MFD pickups and an "expander" switch / pot that provides additional pickup combinations. The Legacy has CLF-100 Alnico single coil pickups that are more similar to what you would find a F made guitar. Other than that they are pretty much the same and can be optioned on purchase however you like; hard-tail bridge or vibrato bridge, color, neck, etc. The pickups and PTB controls make both of them sound different than a "Strat". The S-500 was Leo Fender's final version of a "Stat" type guitar. FYI the pickups you have in your Tribute S-500 are the same as what would be found in the USA made model.

Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:29 pm

side by side the Legacy is brighter and less powerful pick up

Sun May 01, 2016 6:39 am

There is a good comparison that G&L put together. I prefer the S-500, but tone is personal thing. Enjoy! :alright:

phpBB [video]

Sun May 01, 2016 1:47 pm

Tooslowhand wrote:The fundamental difference between the S-500 and Legacy are the pickups. The S-500 has MFD pickups and an "expander" switch / pot that provides additional pickup combinations. The Legacy has CLF-100 Alnico single coil pickups that are more similar to what you would find a F made guitar. Other than that they are pretty much the same and can be optioned on purchase however you like; hard-tail bridge or vibrato bridge, color, neck, etc. The pickups and PTB controls make both of them sound different than a "Strat". The S-500 was Leo Fender's final version of a "Stat" type guitar. FYI the pickups you have in your Tribute S-500 are the same as what would be found in the USA made model.

Got it! So I'd probably go with another S-500 in the future :) I totally dig the sounds mine convey - and my guitar buddies sure agreed as soon as they heard this guitar! I like the extra bottom end and the clarity of it all.
And the fact that G&L offers the same pickups offer the same pickups with their non-USA models sure speaks high about the character of the brand. Actually Ibanez, that I also love, is doing the same now with their Super 58 pickups.

Thanks again!

Sun May 01, 2016 1:48 pm

Thank you too, Fumble Fingers and WitSok 8-)