ASAT Classic Custom neck pickup height adjustment

Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:34 am

Hi all - I picked up an ASAT Classic Custom recently. It has the pickguard covering the ears of the pickups. When I take the pickguard off, it seems that I can't adjust pickup height at all with the screws on the pickup ears that usually adjust this. Based on the tone so far, I want to try the pickup much closer to the strings.

I was getting ready to get a replacement pickguard made to expose the pickup ears, when I came across this thread...

http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3180

It looks like Steve was going to do some testing back in 2011, but I don't see any resolution. Does anybody know how this turned out?

I'll be raising the pole pieces this weekend to check out the tone with the pickup higher.

Re: ASAT Classic Custom neck pickup height adjustment

Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:00 am

I have an ASAT Classic Custom myself, and I did have the pickguard off at one point to check the routing underneath, but I can't recall how the pickup was mounted.

It might be screwed down to the max, in which case you may need to use some foam underneath it to raise it up.

Re: ASAT Classic Custom neck pickup height adjustment

Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:55 am

jackstraw wrote:Hi all - I picked up an ASAT Classic Custom recently. It has the pickguard covering the ears of the pickups. When I take the pickguard off, it seems that I can't adjust pickup height at all with the screws on the pickup ears that usually adjust this. Based on the tone so far, I want to try the pickup much closer to the strings.

I was getting ready to get a replacement pickguard made to expose the pickup ears, when I came across this thread...

http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3180

It looks like Steve was going to do some testing back in 2011, but I don't see any resolution. Does anybody know how this turned out?

I'll be raising the pole pieces this weekend to check out the tone with the pickup higher.

They ended up going with the open pickguard to allow full adjustment of the neck pickup (like the Specification page photo) but the model was discontinued in 2012 .
After removal from the Price List, some additional ones were built in 2013 and 2014.

:ugeek: