NGD: G&L 35th Anniversary ASAT Special

Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:43 pm

Hi, I have lurked on this board several times, and decided to join up to share this NGD - what better place for it?! I am a long time G&L fan, and often play a trans-blue ASAT Classic which I have owned for a few years. I recently played an ASAT Special at a used music store, and loved the sound of the pickups, but didn't love the weight of that one, so I hunted around and picked up this one. This one also has the front and back contours, which is actually a lot more comfy. I like the color, although it is not one I would spec myself - there are others I prefer, but for me color is sometimes secondary to many other attributes (tone, feel, weight, price, etc). I do dig the Lake Placid Blue I saw on some other G&L ASAT's, but this one had the best combination of features overall, for my purposes. The one in the store was an older one with the 3 bolt neck plate and micro-tilt was trans green with black hardware and pup covers - very cool, just a little heavy (again, for my tastes, many would not mind, no doubt). I ended up paying a bit more, but got a new (NOS) axe for my troubles, still a rippin' deal. I realize the 35th Anniversary thing is mostly just a label, but I think it is kinda cool all the same- mostly though, I just liked look, the cotours, and I wanted to try the new Modern Classic neck, although I generally prefer thicker necks, and do like the #1 profile on my Classic. This one feels great though, no regrets.

Hope y'all enjoy these picks of my first Special/second ASAT!

Band meets for rehearsal next week, looking forward to hearing in the mix - I feel I can tell it will be great though - just love the jangly, chimey sound these have, I feel like that will translate well for cleans and dirt at full band volumes - we will soon see :) (Band is a sort of classic rock/80's/90's thing - any guitar works okay, ime, with them - I have used trad fender tele's, SG's, LP's, and, of course my ASAT Classic - all work great; for jazz I stick with semi-hollows or tele's, just personal preference).

Re: NGD: G&L 35th Anniversary ASAT Special

Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:02 pm

beautiful !! .... any idea on the weight ??..... I came really close to getting a 35th Bluesboy but Empress wood was/became available for a short run just recently so I got a custom order Blues Boy with Empress wood instead

Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:37 pm

Weighs in at 7.8 lbs, which is about the top end of where I prefer to be on non-LP guitars these days. My Classic is 8.4, which is fine - got that one before I was really aware of weight differences in guitars, but it is also a great sounding, great playing axe, so no regrets. The other one was well over 8lbs and I just won't go there for a tele-style (unless there is something else super cool about a particular axe), and I like to keep most strats well under 8 as well these days.

What color did you order the empress bluesboy in? I kind of want a bluesboy as well, probably will get one some day. Did you order a solid or semi-hollow?

Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:55 pm

I ordered tangerine metallic maple wide C plus neck , locking tuners , forearm cut (wish I would have also got the belly cut) , Empress is very light wood , solid body at 6.5 lbs , even with the wide/big neck and locking tuners it's light weight

[img][IMG]http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y408/ericphilpott/P1000858_zpscsxbiyd3.jpg[/img][/img]
Last edited by Fumble fingers on Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:02 pm

Nice - love that color, man that is a light guitar (especially for G&L). That'll be a beefy neck - I am a big fan of fat necks, although I have not tried one with the 1 3/4 nut width.

Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:04 pm

can't get the picture to show up but link works

Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:52 am

Here ya go!

Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:14 am

Beautiful Asats you guys have!
I happen to love the 1 3/4" neck that G&L do, it's a massive brand-loyalty deal for me.

Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:07 am

I just realized I do have a 1 3/4 nut on an acoustic, which I do love for that application.

Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:20 pm

nice score srmd22! :thumbup:

remember, you can never have too many ASAT's

Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:13 pm

srmd22 wrote:Here ya go!

:clap:

Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:21 pm

I don't usually go for green guitars, but that sparkle is beautiful! HNGD

Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:24 pm

Not a color I would have looked for, but I was looking at used, and this one just sort of had the right mix of features. For some reason, the this particular green just works on this particular model, for me - which I was kind of relieved to find out upon unboxing! The guitar sounds and feels so good, I think I would have accepted any color.