Has anyone bought a DFV bridge lately? I have a problem.

Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:12 pm

I just bought one (two, actually) DFV bridges from the g&l online store (thanks for the 10% discount!). But there is a problem:

The screws do not quite fit through the holes of the bridge. It is close... I feel like I could get it through if I hit it with a hammer, but I don't want to screw up the threads. I could also try to bore out the hole a little, but I can't imagine that is the correct process...

They provide two extra screws labelled "old screws" which do fit through the hole, but these do not fit the threaded inserts provided...

Has anybody had this problem? Any recommendations?

Here is a picture of the screw. You can see that it does not go through far enough to get into the "fulcrum" part of the screw.

Re: Has anyone bought a DFV bridge lately? I have a problem.

Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:38 pm

yes you can open up the bridge hole

Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:38 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:yes you can open up the bridge hole

Aren't the knife edges hardened? ...and you don't want to change the fulcrum action.
It would be better to take some material off the top thread area on the post(...or wait for G&L to replace them).

Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:22 am

cho wrote:I just bought one (two, actually) DFV bridges from the g&l online store (thanks for the 10% discount!). But there is a problem:

The screws do not quite fit through the holes of the bridge. It is close... I feel like I could get it through if I hit it with a hammer, but I don't want to screw up the threads. I could also try to bore out the hole a little, but I can't imagine that is the correct process...

They provide two extra screws labelled "old screws" which do fit through the hole, but these do not fit the threaded inserts provided...

Has anybody had this problem? Any recommendations?

Here is a picture of the screw. You can see that it does not go through far enough to get into the "fulcrum" part of the screw.

Try threading the bolt post thru the bridge plate hole, but first use a light oil (such as 3n1 oil) to lube the threads and inside of the plate hole. I don't think there is a left and right bolt,
but try them both just in case.

If that does not work, email Ben Rush at repairs@glguitars.com and ask him how they go together.

Elwood wrote:
Fumble fingers wrote:yes you can open up the bridge hole

Aren't the knife edges hardened? ...and you don't want to change the fulcrum action.
It would be better to take some material off the top thread area on the post(...or wait for G&L to replace them).

The bolts and the bridge plate are hardened.

I would not recommend trying to enlarge the hole or trimming the threads. See: G&L's DF Vibrato System.
They should fit without removing any material.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:20 pm

Thanks for the recommendations. Threads of the bolt are able to pass through the hole. It is the thicker part of the bolt (above the threads) that is getting stuck. I could try using a little oil. I will also check with the link provided. I emailed G&L customer service but haven't heard back yet. I will post if I find a good solution. Thanks!

Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:33 pm

Well, I still haven't heard back from G&L on this issue. I am quite surprised. First, I wouldn't expect to order a new part and not have things fit. Then, I am surprised that I have not received any responses. I'll post again if I hear back from them.

Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:10 pm

I am surprised you have no answer yet as well. There is definitely a quality control issue with those parts and should be returned. If the interference is only a few thousands of an inch however you might try freezing the bolt and boiling the plate. if your quick and lucky they might well fit together then. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Cheers Geoff

Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:20 am

cho wrote:Well, I still haven't heard back from G&L on this issue. I am quite surprised. First, I wouldn't expect to order a new part and not have things fit. Then, I am surprised that I have not received any responses. I'll post again if I hear back from them.

I had sent this thread to the guys in Customer Support and just heard back:

Sometimes the plating is to thick. The bolts must go through the bridge first than the guitar. Sometimes I have had to tap them through the bridge plate with a plastic hammer or something. No real trick, just force.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:35 am

Thanks Craig! I had been hesitant to do that, but I will give it a try.

Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:13 pm

Doesn't anybody have the guts to say this is not right, what is the world coming to when customers are to told to take hammers to their so called precision pivots. I am lost for words, just fix it properly G&L, WTH

Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:46 am

I finally got a response from G&L. They apologized for the late response. They confirmed that tapping the screw is the correct method, as the plating on the bridge can be a little thick. They also offered to replace them with the screws installed if I was not comfortable with this. Finally, they also offered to replace them if I damaged them while trying this. So, I don't have anything to lose to give it a go. Thanks everyone for the help!