Technical Issue With Comanche

Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:12 pm

I have a Comanche that was made in 2013. I just bought this guitar and am having an issue with the bridge pickup. For some reason when the guitar is first position for this pickup ONLY, the EQ seems flat on it - especially high frequencies. I find that in order to even it out, I have to dial back the PTB - Bass pot. The problem with that is of course, killing frequencies = killing volume. Anyone else have this problem and if so, what did you do to fix it?
Last edited by Craig on Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: corrected spelling of model name

Re: Technical Issue With Comanche

Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:58 pm

Sinfoniarc wrote:I have a Comanche that was made in 2013. I just bought this guitar and am having an issue with the bridge pickup. For some reason when the guitar is first position for this pickup ONLY, the EQ seems flat on it - especially high frequencies. I find that in order to even it out, I have to dial back the PTB - Bass pot. The problem with that is of course, killing frequencies = killing volume. Anyone else have this problem and if so, what did you do to fix it?

Since you bought it used, I suggest checking the wiring to see if it has been modified.
See this in our Gallery: Album: Comanche Wiring Diagram and Picture Diagram.
Also, check out Boogie Bill's post: Comanches For Dummies Redux by BoogieBill.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:09 pm

sounds a little weird, bridge pup solo, only.
if it was a bad pot, would affect all the pup settings on PTB circuit.
i usually run the bass tone control rolled back to about 5-6 on all the pups settings on mine, sounds better.
same with treble, sometimes 5, sometimes 6-7. never full on like a strat.
G&L's are like that - they often sound better with varying degrees of tone rolled back.
It's probably related to the MFD pup's. Very wide frequency range, very much unlike fenders or gibsons in some ways.
Also why they are my best sounding guitars for playing live. High output to begin with. great sounds.
read boogie bill's sermon on comanches, rec by Craig. throw out preconceived notions of where tone controls should be set, then just dial in a good tone. welcome.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:10 pm

Thanks Craig - I've read Boogie Bill's post and found it both amusing and insightful. I'll check the wiring on it too.