Is this an ASAT Custom?

Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:54 pm

All,

I bought this guitar on eBay in 2015. It was advertised as an ASAT Special Deluxe. It recently came to my attention that the guitar may in fact be an ASAT Custom. Here are some photos:

[all links to dropbox files have been removed-Admin]

The serial # is: G047276

TIA,

Mike
Last edited by Craig on Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed dropbox.com links because they fail link check.

Re: Is this an ASAT Custom?

Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:56 pm

Mike,

pics did not post

Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:13 pm

themikeaustin wrote:All,

I bought this guitar on eBay in 2015. It was advertised as an ASAT Special Deluxe. It recently came to my attention that the guitar may in fact be an ASAT Custom. Here are some photos:

The serial # is: G047276

TIA,

Mike

Hey Mike,

That looks like an ASAT Custom to me: flame top, natural wood binding, mahogany back, that slanted pickup selector, and 3-bolt neck attachment. Here are some other links you can check out for comparison:
ASAT Custom in the Gallery
ASAT Custom on ggjaguar.com
ASAT Custom on yowhatsshakin.com

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:13 pm

Here are the front and back images:

Now that we can see it (dropbox.com is not really a photo sharing site and makes it difficult to get to the image file), I also say that it is definitely an ASAT Custom. BTW, it has top white binding
on the body which is standard for this model, not like Greg's NAMM guitar which has wood binding. In case you did not read the link to the Rarebird page on the ASAT Custom, there were only approximately 25 made.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:40 pm

Thanks to everyone. Dropbox came up in a google search. I haven't shared photos like this before...

Not that I'm interested in selling, but are these guitars valuable?

Thanks again!

Mike

Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:29 am

themikeaustin wrote:Thanks to everyone. Dropbox came up in a google search. I haven't shared photos like this before...

Not that I'm interested in selling, but are these guitars valuable?

Thanks again!

Mike

See: Is there a good source for getting G&L instrument values?.

:ugeek:

Tue May 09, 2017 7:35 am

Yeah the 3 bolt neck alone is a dead giveaway. The ASAT special Deluxe didn't run until the early 2000s at which time I believe all G&L models had 4 bolt. I'm an ASAT special Deluxe owner myself.