New Video Shootout, Jazzmaster -vs- Doheny

Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:51 am

phpBB [video]

Re: New Video Shootout, Jazzmaster -vs- Doheny

Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:45 am

Thanks for sharing, excellent comparison. :thumbup:

You keep showing me these videos and pictures and I like this more and more. The pups on the Doheny do sound much richer than the Jazzmaster.

Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:22 pm

sam wrote:Thanks for sharing, excellent comparison. :thumbup:

You keep showing me these videos and pictures and I like this more and more. The pups on the Doheny do sound much richer than the Jazzmaster.

It is a good comparison. That said, I really wish they compared the "both pickup" position on each. That is where the JM shines, and I am hoping that is also true for the Doheny.

~JagInTheBag

Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:59 am

Thanks for sharing. I've been trying to keep an eye open for new Doheny vids.
I thought it was mediocre unfortunately. Neither guitar really sounded great.
I much prefer the tones in the Live at Leo's Griff demo video. He seems to do some good work for G&lL- I think his ASAT Special video is probably the best on youtube and really captures the wide mfd tones.

Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:42 am

Thanks for posting. I've love Jazzmasters, so I've been curious about the Doheny. The contrast with the Jazzmaster reminds me of a key difference between my Comanche and Strat -- I prefer the G&L's thicker bridge pickup tone, but prefer the more "glassy" Fender neck pickup tone. So, in the Doheny demo, I wish he'd played it on the neck pickup with the bass rolled off, so we'd know how close it can get to the Fender.

Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:59 am

Nedmundo wrote:Thanks for posting. I've love Jazzmasters, so I've been curious about the Doheny. The contrast with the Jazzmaster reminds me of a key difference between my Comanche and Strat -- I prefer the G&L's thicker bridge pickup tone, but prefer the more "glassy" Fender neck pickup tone. So, in the Doheny demo, I wish he'd played it on the neck pickup with the bass rolled off, so we'd know how close it can get to the Fender.

I'm on the same page. I'd like to see it do everything a Jazzmaster can do, only doing those things better than a Jazzmaster can do them. Then I'd like to see it do some things that a Jazzmaster cannot do.

Yeah... that's what I want.

Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:55 am

DanDoulogos wrote:I'm on the same page. I'd like to see it do everything a Jazzmaster can do, only doing those things better than a Jazzmaster can do them. Then I'd like to see it do some things that a Jazzmaster cannot do.

+1

Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:24 am

JagInTheBag wrote:
DanDoulogos wrote:I'm on the same page. I'd like to see it do everything a Jazzmaster can do, only doing those things better than a Jazzmaster can do them. Then I'd like to see it do some things that a Jazzmaster cannot do.

+1

The one thing it won't have is the added overtones and harmonics created by the strings behind the bridge. Big part of the Jazzmaster's overall tone. No big deal. Jazzmasters exist for that. This is a G&L with a Jazzmaster body shape and wide bobbin pickups with formvar wire. Good mix of old and new Leo on this model.
I wonder would Leo have bothered trying to make the JM style vibrato better or if he would have just tossed a DFV on it? He was forever tinkering, so who knows.

What I need to hear is a comparison of a Doheny with a DFV and one with a saddle lock bridge.