G L Noobe needs opinions on Modern Classic neck

Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:13 am

Hi everybody! Noobe here. I played a gig last night with an ASAT Special with the Modern Classic neck, first time using this axe in a gig. I have been playing a 1 5/8 Slim C Frankentele until now. I wouldn't want the Modern Classic even a nanometer bigger. Could you please tell me about this Modern Classic neck, if you like it, will I adapt to it over time, and if maybe I should go to a Slim C instead. Thank you very much!

Re: G L Noobe needs opinions on Modern Classic neck

Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:43 am

Per the specs the Modern Classic and the Slim C have the same specs except for the nut width - the Modern Classic is 1/16" of an inch wider (at 1 11/16") than the Slim C (at 1 5/8") but the Modern Classic has the same string string spacing as the Slim C - so basically the Modern Classic starts out with about 1/32" more wood outside the low E and another 1/32" more wood outside the high E. They both are the same depth at the 1st fret, the same depth at the 12th fret, and the width at the neck heel - so at some point they will wind up being the same width as you move down from the 1st fret to the 22nd fret.

What you may be feeling more than the difference in the width could be the difference in the fretboard radius. Unless custom ordered the default neck radius is now 9.5" ("standard" neck is a Modern Classic with 9.5" radius). I don't know how old your other guitar is but from say 2005-mid 2015 the "standard" radius for a G&L neck was 12" (before 2005 or so it depended - the standard radius on ASAT Specials and Classics was 7.5"; the standard radius on the ASAT Deluxe and the Strat-shaped models was 12").

Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:41 pm

John C thank you very much! So while playing a 2.5 hour gig last night I wasn't totally comfortable with the Modern Classic neck. It looks like I would be more comfortable with the Slim C.

Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:53 pm

I wrap my thumb around the top of the neck when I play, still I find the modern classic more comfy, than lets say- the old #1 neck. As for the 9.5 radius neck, it splits the difference between the vintage radius I like for rhythm playing and the 12" most favored for lots of shreddy runs. To me, it's the Goldilocks neck for an instrument I would use the majority of the time.

Then again, it is all about how it feels in YOUR hands.

Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:58 pm

Jag, Thank you very much. Great insight. Jag, how big are your hands? Large gloves are tight on me and XL gloves fit but not tightly.

Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:54 pm

docdynamite wrote:Jag, Thank you very much. Great insight. Jag, how big are your hands? Large gloves are tight on me and XL gloves fit but not tightly.

9" span, pinky to thumb

ImageHand span by Patrick Krook, on Flickr

7 3/4" long heel of palm to the tip of the middle finger

ImageHand span by Patrick Krook, on Flickr

I welcome anyone wishing to send me gloves for Christmas...

Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:27 pm

LOL. OK, so I am 9 1/2 x 7 3/4 so we are about the same. Have you ever played a Slim C neck? If so how did it feel to you?

Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:59 pm

docdynamite wrote:LOL. OK, so I am 9 1/2 x 7 3/4 so we are about the same. Have you ever played a Slim C neck? If so how did it feel to you?

I don't own a guitar with a 1a or Slim C neck, the closest I have is my '65 Jag. It is hand cramping just of its short scale. I've played a Slim C on a Fallout and it feels okay, but I have not gigged on one.

Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:40 pm

docdynamite wrote:Hi everybody! Noobe here. I played a gig last night with an ASAT Special with the Modern Classic neck, first time using this axe in a gig. I have been playing a 1 5/8 Slim C Frankentele until now. I wouldn't want the Modern Classic even a nanometer bigger. Could you please tell me about this Modern Classic neck, if you like it, will I adapt to it over time, and if maybe I should go to a Slim C instead. Thank you very much!

hey docdynamite, you would love one of the pre-BBE 80's G&L necks, they are reasonably slim, very comfortable to play!
the fretboard veneer (for rosewood or ebony) was notably thinner than most standard fretboards.

Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:49 am

I like the Modern Classic, which I have on my 2015 Comanche. I got caught up in the spec change. Based on the timing of my order, I should have received the previous neck with the 12" radius fretboard, but I got the new one with the 9.5" radius. I would have preferred the 12", but the 9.5" is ok, and I think the overall feel of the neck is great. At upfront guitars.com, I read that G&L wanted a wider fretboard so strings were less likely to go over the edge, and that the 9.5" radius helps mask that extra width.

That makes sense, but I suspect G&L also made the change so their standard necks feel more familiar to Fender players. From my experience with basses, I can understand this. For years I played MIA Fenders with their 9.5" radii, and my G&Ls with 12" radii initially felt less natural at first grab, but I soon realized I played better on the flatter fretboards and have developed a strong preference for them. But when you're trying to sell new guitars, you don't want players needing to adjust, and these new necks won't require anybody to adjust who's accustomed to recent MIA Fenders. My Comanche's neck feels very close to my 2001 and 2004 Am. Series Strats.

Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:06 pm

Thank you everyone for your replies and your opinions. Well, over a four day period last week, I figured out what happened to me. I have been playing a Frankentele for years with a 1 5/8 neck which actually measured 1 9/16". So last Wednesday I got an ASAT USA Special with the modern classic neck which measured 1 11/16" actual which is 1/8" different than what I was used to. I played it a little Wed night, a little Thursday night and really had a mildly difficult time adjusting to the neck. Then comes a gig on Friday night and I thought, "I am taking my new ASAT to the gig". Well, I made it through the gig but the neck still felt awkward to me. That's when I freaked out and thought "is this neck ever going to feel good or be right for me.

Well, to finish the story after freaking out all day Saturday (I was contemplating switching to a Slim C), Sunday rolls around so I have had the guitar four days and now I LOVE the modern classic. It took me four days to fully adapt to the bigger neck.

Thanks for everyone's help on here!

Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:50 pm

Glad to hear it. :cheers:

Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:37 pm

How do the rolled edges feel? Nice transition from front to back?

Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:56 am

The rolled edges are fine, and like I stated earlier, I wouldn't want the neck even a nanometer bigger.