Which model/year to shop for?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:28 pm

I recently got bit by the G&L bug and I am looking for a S-type guitar (Legacy, etc) with something ranging from a 9.5" to 12" radius and 1 & 11/16 nut width. It seems that many pre-92 models are 1 and 5/8.
What years, models, etc should I be looking at? Gloss finish on the neck is also a big plus. Thanks guys.

Re: Which model/year to shop for?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:54 pm

G&L has offered neck options on most guitars and fact most guitars are built to order. 9.5" radius has only recently become available on USA guitars. Some of the Tribute may have had 9.5" radius. See link below foe list of past neck options:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16

Of course you could order the S type you want with neck profile, radius, nut width, finish, wood, etc... I have to built to order G&L's and they really were the same price as finding a new stock G&L guitar with the same level of options. An authorized G&L dealer can give you a cost based on your desired specification, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Welcome R_Geezy and Cheers, Dan

Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:29 am

WitSok wrote:G&L has offered neck options on most guitars and fact most guitars are built to order. 9.5" radius has only recently become available on USA guitars. Some of the Tribute may have had 9.5" radius. See link below foe list of past neck options:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16

Of course you could order the S type you want with neck profile, radius, nut width, finish, wood, etc... I have to built to order G&L's and they really were the same price as finding a new stock G&L guitar with the same level of options. An authorized G&L dealer can give you a cost based on your desired specification, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Welcome R_Geezy and Cheers, Dan

Some of the Tribute models have a 9'" radius not a 9.5" radius. See: August 1, 2017-present Tribute Series Production Models.

R_Geezy wrote:I recently got bit by the G&L bug and I am looking for a S-type guitar (Legacy, etc) with something ranging from a 9.5" to 12" radius and 1 & 11/16 nut width. It seems that many pre-92 models are 1 and 5/8.
What years, models, etc should I be looking at? Gloss finish on the neck is also a big plus. Thanks guys.

For the current Specs and options for the U.S. G&L instruments see: September 1, 2017-present G&L U.S. Specifications & Options.

Hope this helps.

Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:22 pm

Go for newer ones. They look more like strats, because they're rounder around the corners. pre 2007, they are sharper and have slightly different proportions, and they look "cheap" to my eye.

Also yeah, in 2007 or so they got a plek, and they just get better and better. The newer, the better.

Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:49 am

For another perspective, see: S500s: 1984 vs. 1994 vs. 2004???.
Also, see:
What is G&L's Plek machine used for?
Current G&L Guitar Body Shapes (U.S. models)
Current G&L Specifications and Options

Hope this helps.

Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:15 am

Thanks for the thoughtful responses.

I ordered a S500 to my spec with the modern classic profile and 9.5 radius.