So the invader is back?

Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:54 pm

I saw drum city guitar land had a post of a new invader so the bought it back I take it or is this special order?
http://www.drumcityguitarland.com/GL-US ... 12677.aspx

Re: So the invader is back?

Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:03 pm

invader1993 wrote:I saw drum city guitar land had a post of a new invader so the bought it back I take it or is this special order?
http://www.drumcityguitarland.com/GL-US ... 12677.aspx

It has returned slightly changed, see: G&L Winter 2018 NAMM Highlights and
Some G&L photos from Jan 2018 NAMM.

Hope this helps.

Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:14 pm

Does "s body" mean a soloist like jackson body only bolt on or strat body? In other words I have an invader now, what differnce would I notice better reach to the higher frets?

Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:18 am

invader1993 wrote:Does "s body" mean a soloist like jackson body only bolt on or strat body? In other words I have an invader now, what differnce would I notice better reach to the higher frets?

It has the S-500/Legacy/Comanche body now. See: Current G&L Guitar Body Shapes (U.S. models).

Hope this helps.

Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:40 am

Here's some that were shown at 2018 Winter NAMM:

Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:05 am

I cant seem to be able to tell the difference, what is the difference between the old shape and new shape?

Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:35 am

invader1993 wrote:I cant seem to be able to tell the difference, what is the difference between the old shape and new shape?

Look at the upper and lower bouts (horns), they were longer in the pre-2018 body shape.

Older style:

New style (Legacy Special model shown, as I don't have a new Invader high res photo yet):

Hope this helps.

Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:56 pm

None of the pics from the NAMM show have a DFV like your example above. Is that going to be an option. I don't care for the Kahler.

Tom

Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:15 pm

FZTNT wrote:None of the pics from the NAMM show have a DFV like your example above. Is that going to be an option. I don't care for the Kahler.

Tom

I guess you missed the note on the photo showing new body style:
New style (Legacy Special model shown, as I don't have a new Invader high res photo yet):

There are no bridge options for the 2018 Invader models and the bridge is a Floyd Rose not a Kahler.

January 25, 2018-present G&L U.S. Specifications & Options wrote:Invader (Note: G&L website spec page not yet available)
Pickups: G&L CLF-100 Alnico single coils in neck and middle positions
G&L Alnico V humbucker in bridge position
Controls: rear mounted 5-way pickup selector, volume, tone
Neck profile: 1 11/16” nut width Slim Invader profile (.770” at 1st fret .830” at 12th fret) (no neck profile options)
Radius: 12” (no radius options)
Bridge: Floyd Rose Vibrato
Body wood: Alder on standard and solid finishes, Swamp Ash on Premier finishes
Finish: Standard finishes included

Invader XL (Note: G&L website spec page not yet available)
Pickups: Two G&L Alnico V humbuckers
Controls: rear mounted 3-way pickup selector, volume, tone
Neck profile: 1 11/16” nut width Slim Invader profile (.770” at 1st fret .830” at 12th fret) (no neck profile options)
Radius: 12” (no radius options)
Bridge: Floyd Rose Vibrato
Body wood: Alder on standard and solid finishes, Swamp Ash on premier finishes
Finish: Standard finishes included

Also, I found this photo of the 2018 Invader XL:

Hope this helps.

Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:56 am

No Craig, I saw that note...that's why I asked if there was a DFV available on the new Invader. You put up a picture of a legacy. Why would I think it was an invader. You could have just answered my question instead of giving me some useless information like "I guess you missed my note." Your note did not answer my question, otherwise I would not have asked. In fact, your note sparked my question cause you showed a guitar (the Legacy...in case you need to catch up) with a DFV, not a Floyd Rose.

Tom

Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:05 pm

The old body was sexy. Why the change?

Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:19 pm

TBH I think the old F100 style body was best; still don't know why they changed that :) Then again you can get a new Superhawk with that body... An HSS 'Superhawk' with a Kahler or Floyd would be awesome really.

Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:29 pm

Danley wrote:TBH I think the old F100 style body was best; still don't know why they changed that :) Then again you can get a new Superhawk with that body... An HSS 'Superhawk' with a Kahler or Floyd would be awesome really.

G&L did not change the F-100 body shape for the later versions of the F-100 and yes, the Superhawk Jerry Cantrell Signature models are the
same body shape as the F-100, see: Current G&L Guitar Body Shapes (U.S. models).

Hope this helps.

Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:59 pm

The Invaders in FZTNT's avatar are the "F100 shape" I referred to as being used by the early Invaders; I prefer that body style above either of the later 'Strat/Superstrat' styles. My curiosity overall is around why right at the start of the BBE era the old G&L shapes ceased to be used for a few years, and were replaced by more "traditional" Fender shapes (including the Invader.)

Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:53 am

BoringPostcards wrote:The old body was sexy. Why the change?

It was the only body using the "Dinky" clone shape, and probably didn't sell enough to warrant its own CNC machine. If you use the Legacy shape- you still get mainstream appeal from a familiar shape, and you are only changing some drop in code for the pickup and vibrato routes. So, a CNC machine can easily be used to alternate between legacy, invader, s-500 etc. SC-2, which also had older CNC (less flexible) coding, was also likely dropped for the same reason.

The machines that were freed up were likely pressed into service to make the Doheny.

Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:44 am

JagInTheBag wrote:
BoringPostcards wrote:The old body was sexy. Why the change?

It was the only body using the "Dinky" clone shape, and probably didn't sell enough to warrant its own CNC machine. If you use the Legacy shape- you still get mainstream appeal from a familiar shape, and you are only changing some drop in code for the pickup and vibrato routes. So, a CNC machine can easily be used to alternate between legacy, invader, s-500 etc. SC-2, which also had older CNC (less flexible) coding, was also likely dropped for the same reason.

The machines that were freed up were likely pressed into service to make the Doheny.

Makes sense.
CNC existing for the F100 could mean there's hope they could someday bring back stuff like the Cavalier and old school Skyhawk?

Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:58 pm

BoringPostcards wrote:Makes sense.
CNC existing for the F100 could mean there's hope they could someday bring back stuff like the Cavalier and old school Skyhawk?

"No Comment" reads the non-denial denial... :evilgrin:

Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:55 am

Danley wrote:The Invaders in FZTNT's avatar are the "F100 shape" I referred to as being used by the early Invaders; I prefer that body style above either of the later 'Strat/Superstrat' styles. My curiosity overall is around why right at the start of the BBE era the old G&L shapes ceased to be used for a few years, and were replaced by more "traditional" Fender shapes (including the Invader.)

According to Greg Gagliano, the Invader lower body width (12 5/8") was slightly narrower than the F-100 (13").

Perhaps this will help explain the change: Climax Pickups and body wood? and
later to the BBE-era Invader models: When and why did G&L switch to a four-bolt neck?.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Craig on Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added comment about Invader lower body width vs F-100.

Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:48 am

Danley wrote:The Invaders in FZTNT's avatar are the "F100 shape" I referred to as being used by the early Invaders; I prefer that body style above either of the later 'Strat/Superstrat' styles. My curiosity overall is around why right at the start of the BBE era the old G&L shapes ceased to be used for a few years, and were replaced by more "traditional" Fender shapes (including the Invader.)

As JagInTheBag mentions above, when BBE took over operations of G&L, all the existing G&L Superstrats (Invader, Skyhawk, Superhawk, and Rampage) and Interceptors were discontinued. John McLaren Jr. designed the Climax series guitars which had the Dinky body shapes different from anything G&L was carrying up to that point, including the body shape used for the Interceptor. For instance, compare this 1988 Interceptor HSS with this 1992 Climax "XL"
ImageImage
ImageImage

You notice the difference in contours and the shape of the horn. When the Climax morphed into the Invader series in 1996, the body shape of the new guitars harkened back to the late Interceptor, but still not exactly the same:

This has been the shape of the Invader until their temporary discontinuation in February of 2017. Now production has been made easier again by using the basic contoured body shape of the Legacy and only a different bridge (DFV vs. Floyd Rose, respectively) and slightly modified volume and tone stacks (single tone on Invader). I look forward to the moment the new website is updated with the addition of the new Invader. In the mean time, feel free to check out this G&L Superstrat page and the embedded references on my website.

- Jos
P.S. I believe that Fullerton Red in back of the first NAMM picture posted by Craig above is listed here on Reverb (of as long as the link is active)

Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:44 pm

Here's an Invader in Galaxy Black, Ebony board, Clear Satin neck finish, body color headstock.
CLF1801088 is headed to G&L Premier Dealer Tone Shop Guitars in Addison, Texas.

Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:59 pm

It seems that G&L has never really nailed this genre of guitar, despite its many attempts. So, this begs the question- What would you like to see, ideally, in an Invader? 24 frets, sculpted heel, a different body shape than the current Legacy? What would it look like, clean sheet? Dual Radius Neck? Different controls and tone stack?

I'm not a shredder or heavy metal guy, so I don't know what would be the "best of breed".

Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:38 pm

Ideal world:

-F100 or pre-BBE Invader body
-Sickle headstock
-Neck through/sculpted heel
-24 frets
-HSS: F100 MFD Bucker, MFD single, MFD single (your avatar is close to that?)
-Kahler OR Leo Fender vibrato OR DFS (steel saddle/block)
-Compound Radius

Basically a soloist in the early G&L shape, G&L pickups and bridge (unless Kahler)

Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:09 pm

Danley wrote:Ideal world:

-F100 or pre-BBE Invader body
-Sickle headstock
-Neck through/sculpted heel
-24 frets
-HSS: F100 MFD Bucker, MFD single, MFD single (your avatar is close to that?)
-Kahler OR Leo Fender vibrato OR DFS (steel saddle/block)
-Compound Radius

Basically a soloist in the early G&L shape, G&L pickups and bridge (unless Kahler)

My S-500 is all MFD S-S-H with an F-100 Humbucker in the bridge. It is a hard tail.

Sat May 05, 2018 10:25 am

in my opinion, G/L needs to cultivate a relationship akin to the Petrucci -- Music Man thing. It seems like half the guitars they sell are some version or another of the JP. Get some shred prog dude onboard and design something from the ground up.

I'm available for consultations !!! :happy0007:

As for the Invader, I dig the old style myself.

Mon May 07, 2018 10:38 am

They did sort of do that with Cantrell; a good idea overall I think. Cantrell isn't really comparable to Pettrucci as far as genre/virtuosity, but I'd argue Cantrell is the more popular player. I'd love to see a Superhawk with a Kahler, and maybe more personal input from Cantrell to differentiate.

Mon May 07, 2018 11:26 am

invader1993 wrote:Does "s body" mean a soloist like jackson body only bolt on or strat body? In other words I have an invader now, what differnce would I notice better reach to the higher frets?

I always assumed the "S" stood for "super-Strat" ?

EDIT: just realized that I was replying to a rather old comment...

Tue May 08, 2018 12:29 am

It bums me out that G&L is decreasing the diversity of their body styles/appointments rather than expanding. The invader looked good with the "rg-esque" body style, and now we just have yet another strat variant.

I can see the argument that, as a business, you want to sell strats and teles, because when people aren't buying fender, they want "a strat but" or "a tele but."

On the other hand, especially nowadays, it might do G&L well to hard-commit in the other direction, and market themselves based on how UNlike fender they are.

Cavaliers, ASAT Basses, Sc-2s, skyhawks, these are really cool, really different looking instruments with awesome style.

Hell, make something NEW that isn't a JM clone!
Last edited by neutralomen on Fri May 18, 2018 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 09, 2018 6:37 am

Here's a Special Build recently posted on G&L's facebook page:
Here's an Invader in Clear Blue over spalted alder on basswood, chechen board, Clear Satin neck finish.
CLF1803171 is headed to G&L Premier Dealer Studio Gears in Temecula, California.

Wed May 09, 2018 11:15 am

yeah that's just what I mean. Looks like a legacy rmc with a floyd. Why call it the invader at this point? Just call it that instead.

I really hope we can see G&L express a little more identity. Still holding out hope for a cavalier reissue!

Wed May 16, 2018 9:31 pm

neutralomen wrote:yeah that's just what I mean. Looks like a legacy rmc with a floyd. Why call it the invader at this point? Just call it that instead.

I really hope we can see G&L express a little more identity. Still holding out hope for a cavalier reissue!

Just wait for it...neutralomen. I'm glad to see the old "Ginky" go, wasn't a well engineered design. Not likely a cavalier, but new shapes including stuff never before seen are on the horizon. :evilgrin:

Thu May 17, 2018 2:17 pm

from a casual eye they look no different than before .... The best way I always identified the Invaders were by lack of the PTB system , which I like the PTB but don't miss at all , actually my favorite 5 G&L's don't even have the PTB system just tone knob ..... I like the new Invader and anything that can help it sales , it sure wasn't selling before so I see this as a win , it still has the wide slim neck and basic options the Invader series always had