Dohney MFDs compared to Jumbo MFDs?

Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:38 am

Anyone have any experience with the Doheny's MFDs and the jumbos on either the ASAT special or SC-2? I've got an SC-2, which is my favorite guitar, and I'm considering adding a Doheny into the mix. One of my hesitations is that the Doheny's pickups will be too similar to the SC-2, and I prefer to keep a small stable of guitars that cover different ground. I'll probably end up getting one anyways and finding out for myself, but it would be interesting to hear what users of both have to say.

Re: Dohney MFDs compared to Jumbo MFDs?

Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:24 am

I haven't tried one, but a thought- for a different sound you could try Jazzmaster pickups in your Doheny.

Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:23 pm

Check out these demos:

Live! At Leo's: Full Demo with Griff Hamlin of BluesGuitarUnleashed.com.

phpBB [video]

Live! At Leo's: G&L ASAT Special Full Demo with Griff Hamlin

phpBB [video]

Hope this helps.

Tue May 01, 2018 5:50 am

Thanks Craig. Just ordered a Doheny this morning, so i'll be able to answer my own question. Will post my observations soon!

Tue May 01, 2018 7:13 am

Congrats- most appealing new guitar to me in a long time is the Doheny.

Tue May 01, 2018 8:58 am

I too am curious about these pickups, and how they would sound in a jazz and blues context. I play bare-fingered, and like a warm yet articulate tone.

Tue May 01, 2018 10:23 am

Not blues or jazz, but fingerstyle..

Tue May 01, 2018 12:45 pm

mikemjr12 wrote:Thanks Craig. Just ordered a Doheny this morning, so i'll be able to answer my own question. Will post my observations soon!

Congratulations.
I will be curious what you think of it; there sure haven't been many (any?) reviews posted here.

I'm still holding out hope they put the Doheny p'ups in an Asat.

Tue May 01, 2018 1:00 pm

mutts wrote:
mikemjr12 wrote:Thanks Craig. Just ordered a Doheny this morning, so i'll be able to answer my own question. Will post my observations soon!

Congratulations.
I will be curious what you think of it; there sure haven't been many (any?) reviews posted here.

Search found this one: Doheny awarded Premier Guitar magazine Premier Gear Award.

I also added this post: Blues Soloing Lesson - Trading Fours (G&L Doheny) ....

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Craig on Tue May 01, 2018 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added a new YouTube video link

Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:52 pm

Hi!

(First post)

I am curious what your opinion of the Doheny pickups are. I have wanted a Jazzmaster for a long time but I think I'm going to go G&L.

Fri May 03, 2019 7:01 am

I've never played a Fender JM, but the Doheny pickups are awesome. Pretty flat frequency response in the neck - no mid scoop like a strat. The bridge is brighter but without the edginess of some other MFDs. The output is pretty high for single coils, but you they sound great clean or with overdrive/fuzz pedals. They don't muddy up. Incredibly quiet too. MFDs are quiet by nature, but the Doheny pickups are even quieter than my SC-2 pickups. They're easily one of my favorite pickups

Fri May 03, 2019 8:08 am

One thing about Jazzmaster pickups: They are really quite noisy (recognizing that, Fender used very well shielded pickups on the Jaguar, the Jazzmaster's 'sequel.') So I'm glad to hear the MFDs on the Doheny are quieter- although that's really no surprise.

Fri May 03, 2019 8:44 am

mutts wrote:

Congratulations.

Sorry, just seeing this now. I did a dedicated post to my thoughts on the Doheny some time ago, I'm sure if you search around you'll find it.

Putting the Doheny pickups into another body style would be sweet. The offset body, neck profile, and number of frets definitely don't appeal to everyone. I've thought about how cool it would be to put these pickups into my SC-2.