Reverb.com shows G&L some love

Fri May 18, 2018 8:08 am

https://reverb.com/news/buyers-guide-the-best-budget-friendly-offset-guitars

Nice write up. Even includes the tribute Doheny.

Re: Reverb.com shows G&L some love

Fri May 18, 2018 9:10 am

Good to see G&L on there- but the Fallout (and Duo Sonic) are not even offset waist guitars.

I have a Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster- I agree the Mascis model is an amazing guitar too, but 3 of 4 Squier vibrato units I've experienced were faulty. Japanese isn't much better. I had to replace the vibrato on mine with a US model- the others clicked shifted on the pivot, and I had to file on the pivot to get them to stay in tune.

Wed May 23, 2018 10:05 am

Yeah when I think offset, I think Jags/JMs, Explorers and Firebirds. Not so much the mustang body.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:44 pm

mikemjr12 wrote:Yeah when I think offset, I think Jags/JMs, Explorers and Firebirds. Not so much the mustang body.

Jaguars, Jazzmasters, Jazz Basses, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs, Mustangs, and Duo Sonic IIs (was basically a hardtail mustang) are all offsets by Fender's trademark definition, which is that the waist is offset. Duo Sonic I wasn't offset and the Fallout is only slightly offset.
Explorers have a symmetrical waist and the firebird is somewhat "reverse offset", but not at all in the same way as the Fenders. Fender offset waist was actually a functional patented design feature meant to make seated playing easier. It wasn't primarily an aesthetic choice.
New Duo Sonic reissues are the old body style, which is non offset. The DuoSonic IIs still exist as hardtail Mustangs now. Same guitar, but with a Mustang decal, so they are offset.
People seem to think any non traditional shape or guitar with asymmetrical features is offset, but it really refers to the functional offset waist design. Plenty of non Fender style instruments have actual offset waists these days, but there's also a ton of guitars being called offsets that have nothing to do with the design whatsoever.

Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:07 am

Technically the patent specifies a certain degree of offset to be an 'Offset;' even a Strat has a small degree of (lower-case 'o') offset.

It's for sure not just aesthetic, Fender offset guitars have a definite ergonomic advantage in my opinion (although I would attribute it to the placement of the bridge on the body as much as anything, and the advantage is 'offset' on the Mustang by having a big bulky tailpiece.)

Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:50 am

Very glad to see G&L get some love. And excited to see the Doheny get some attention too! A USA model in on my wishlist for sure, and I'll be combing the forums for anyone posting reviews/ their experiences with them.

Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:10 am

Hey Nork - I posted some thoughts on my USA Doheny a few weeks back. Scroll down the main page and you should see it. But the cliff notes version is that I enjoy it very much.