Comanche tone controls question

Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:54 am

I have a Z-3 that I absolutely love, so I've naturally been looking into Comanches. I've read about their tone controls being effectively a bass cut and treble cut. (And Dohenys have this too, right?) How does that work? If we're talking regular tone knob setups, is 10 (all the way up on a tone knob) full bass or full treble, and then you roll back to taste for each control? And do both tone controls stay in effect regardless of pickup selector switch position? Thanks!

Re: Comanche tone controls question

Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:07 am

The_Nork wrote:I have a Z-3 that I absolutely love, so I've naturally been looking into Comanches. I've read about their tone controls being effectively a bass cut and treble cut. (And Dohenys have this too, right?) How does that work? If we're talking regular tone knob setups, is 10 (all the way up on a tone knob) full bass or full treble, and then you roll back to taste for each control? And do both tone controls stay in effect regardless of pickup selector switch position? Thanks!

Check out this post in our G&L Knowledgebase: Can you explain the PTB circuit?.

Hope this helps.

Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:13 pm

Thanks, Craig! This is very helpful! Makes a lot of sense.
I didn't realize the Legacy was equipped with PTB controls-- I had one years ago and never really bonded with it because I couldn't find my sweet spot with the tone... I guess I know why now! Might have to give another one a try one of these days.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:27 am

I really like the PTB system, but it definitely responds differently depending on the pickups. They were invaluable on some of my z coil guitars. They're much more subtle with my Doheny, but I still like it. Haven't played a legacy with a PTB, but I could see where the system might not be as powerful with those guitars, because there's not a ton of bass in general, so you might only really use it to roll back treble on the bridge PUP or maybe dial out some bass in 2 and 4 position.