Anybody else seen this wiring issue?

Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:57 am

So in love with the way the guitar plays that it took me a couple of weeks to notice that the neck and middle pickups on my new FS Legacy appear to be wired in reverse. Which means I'm getting the neck in the middle switch position, the middle in the neck position, and the #4 switch spot, which should give me the bridge/middle combination, is giving me the bridge/neck combination. This also means that I only get the "in-between" position hum-cancelling on the #2 swtich position and not on both $2 anc $4 positions. Simple fix, obviously, after I break out the soldering iron and pull the pickguard, but I'm amazed that it managed to leave the factory like this. Somebody in QC skipped their morning java, maybe.
Last edited by GVDub on Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Anybody else seen this wirting issue?

Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:48 am

GVDub wrote:So in love with the way the guitar plays that it took me a couple of weeks to notice that the neck and middle pickups on my new FS Legacy appear to be wired in reverse. Which means I'm getting the neck in the middle switch position, the middle in the neck position, and the #4 switch spot, which should give me the bridge/middle combination, is giving me the bridge/neck combination. This also means that I only get the "in-between" position hum-cancelling on the #2 swtich position and not on both $2 anc $4 positions. Simple fix, obviously, after I break out the soldering iron and pull the pickguard, but I'm amazed that it managed to leave the factory like this. Somebody in QC skipped their morning java, maybe.

So, have you contacted the selling dealer so that they can contact the G&L factory to get this fixed under warranty?
See: G&L PRODUCT SUPPORT.

Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:17 am

It was an accommodation purchase direct from G&L (I work as an advertising copywriter at GC Corporate), so there's not really a dealer to contact. I was going to drop an email to Spencer at G&L, but he's probably still in Nashville packing up the NAMM booth. And fixing it myself is no issue. I've been working on my own guiitars for 40+ years.

On the other hand, it gives me an excuse to go visit the factory in Fullerton, if I can convince my boss to let me combine a factory tour and an interview with some folks at G&L for a potential web article/manufacturer profile. :D

Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:40 am

GVDub wrote:It was an accommodation purchase direct from G&L (I work as an advertising copywriter at GC Corporate), so there's not really a dealer to contact. I was going to drop an email to Spencer at G&L, but he's probably still in Nashville packing up the NAMM booth. And fixing it myself is no issue. I've been working on my own guiitars for 40+ years.

On the other hand, it gives me an excuse to go visit the factory in Fullerton, if I can convince my boss to let me combine a factory tour and an interview with some folks at G&L for a potential web article/manufacturer profile. :D

Definitely let Spencer know about this, so that they can correct any process issue there might be.