What are these weird tone pots on this Comanche pickguard?

Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:29 pm

I recently bought the following G&L Comanche pickguard used from Italy:

I already saw other Legacy pickguards with the PTB electronics, but on my Comanche pickguard, the electronics seem quite different (have a look at the two tone pots... weird). Does anyone of you have an idea what this is, why it looks so different and if it does something special? I am not knowledgeable about the electronic stuff and have not installed the pickguard yet. Anyhow I do not even know where to solder the input jack wires to?!

Can anyone help me on this one? This would be highly appreciated!

Greetings from Germany!
Jörg

Re: What are these weird tone pots on this Comanche pickguar

Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:49 pm

Servus, Jörg!

Thats a push-pull pot with the big box underneath it - looks like its got some different capacitors wired onto it to get different sounds. Can't really tell for certain from the photos, but thats my educated guess. Try pulling up on the knob.

Install it and let us know what it does

Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:34 pm

Thanks for the quick reply! I will install it today and see what happens...

Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:31 am

This morning I did it (with the great instructions of KF, thank you again!), I converted my LS to a Comanche and it came out great. Have a look:

The second tone pot is indeed a push/push pot and puts the pickup combinations 2 and 4 out of phase for a thin, shrill sound. All the rest seems to function like a normal Comanche. So the former LS (year 95 with 3-point neck mounting) sounds fantastic now, so much better than the three bass- & midrange voiced Kent Armstrong STHR-1 PUs (that are normally used only for bridge pimping anyway, so I have no idea why G&L put them in all three positions, it just does not make any sense soundwise).

The only flaw is the cracked corner of the pickguard, so maybe I will go for a new one, if it bugs me. Anyone out there with a nice cheap Comanche pickguard to sell, fitting the blueburst? :-D

Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:16 am

Congrats Jorg! That's Stellar - I think Leo would agree ; ) Re the phase switching, always good for some funk...
You're welcome, glad to help and nice that it came together so well.
Cheers,
KF