NGD "SUPER" guitar

Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:48 pm

Every now and then you just have to say "YES" and pull the trigger for a guitar when available at the right price, and this is one for me. Found on Reverb and neck "imperfection" was not bad at all.

The long desired ASAT Super is finally in the house. :banana: Our own Jos' web page has been a constant reminder of what I was looking for.

http://www.yowhatsshakin.com/yowhatssha ... Super.html

While the ASAT Jr is one of the sweetest around, the tone pros bridge is too G*#*#N for me and the saddle lock is my favorite, so an ASAT Super it had to be. The overwound bridge pickup and 20th Anniversary neck pickup had to be a match in heaven. (the 20th Anniversary pick ups are among the best combinations out there)

Plugged her in and tested for just a short while, and this has as much texture and rich overtones of any ASAT since the 20th Anniv and ASAT Trinity! :thumbup: Each flip of the toggle switch gave a unique tone, from the bridge grit Jos mentions, to a sweet blend and the neck has a warm spank, almost Jayhawks sound but can do full chikin' pickin'. The weight and neck are to my liking as well, total winner! (wife and son both think it looks great). Plan on taking off the neck to get dates etc.

To prove it exists, pictures below and updated in register.
Image Image

Image Image

Re: NGD "SUPER" guitar

Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:34 pm

The initial test was through a Mesa Boogie F-50, ran through both channels.

Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:52 pm

Nice- I've had my eye on F50s too. Prefer the Saddle Lock myself; much better alternative to any Tune-o-Matic.

Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:24 pm

Way to go, Sam! I think I looked at that same listing. I've been watching for a Super for several years, but after I put the Super overwound pickup (from the G&L online store) in my ASAT Jr.'s bridge position, I (mostly) convinced myself that a Super was not that needed (although the saddle lock would be an improvement). That worked out well in the long run... ;)

Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:41 pm

wow Sam, hmmm, mahogany, and those big mfd p'ups. nice finish too.
bet that one sounds nice.
will be interested to hear the dates. enjoy!

Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:12 pm

Sam,

Welcome to the club! :happy0065: :happy0065: :happy0065:

And interesting to see the knurled knobs. Interesting because they should be in the majority compared to the Gibson Jr style knobs, which were used on the first 10 and a handful of others. But almost every time I see a Super pop up, it happens to be one with the Gibson knobs. So actually in my experience, you have the less available version ;-)

- Jos

Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:20 pm

Beautiful guitar, Sam!! That pickguard looks so classy! I'm surprised they don't offer that as an option on ASATs... Gorgeous sunburst w/ matching headstock... So nice! I bet it sounds full and sweet. Congrats!!

Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:58 am

Thank you all

Danley, these days you can pick up an F-50 relatively low cost. Great cleans, Chanel 2 is good enough where I can run straight to guitar and not use pedals. If you don't want a stacked overdrive, and not a recto Boogie sound at all.

tomanche, I recall seeing your posting about putting the pickup in the Jr and considered, but didn't want to alter the Jr. The neck pickup does make a difference. Glad to hear yours is still rocking out for you. :thumbup:

drjho7, will post dates and weight when I can. But may spend time playing before taking neck off.

Jos, the different knobs on the Super has been intriguing. This has a low serial number in the Super series but I have no idea where it is on # of the 74.

Cho, at first I didn't pay attention to the guard but the tort look got my attention and I agree, it adds that little extra.

Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:32 am

Sam,

I purchased two Supers new back in the day. One was an exceptional guitar and the other was just not the same.
The one I liked had a great growl and was featherweight. The construction of the body contributed to a woodier punch
than other Asats and was great for Freddie King type of blues. It was a guitar that made you want to push the amp.

I think you will enjoy the guitar,

y2kc

Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:08 am

Congratulations Sam! As you say you can never have too may ASATs! That is "super" sharp. Love the look of the Mahogany neck.

Cheers and enjoy,
Dan

Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:38 am

sam wrote:Jos, the different knobs on the Super has been intriguing. This has a low serial number in the Super series but I have no idea where it is on # of the 74.

Sam,

#42 on the list, completed 6/17/2004 (as were CLF10017, CLF10018, and CLF10024), no dealer nor shipping date specified.

It was advertised the Gibson knobs were used for the first 10 on the list, but I know some others further down the list have them too.

- Jos
Last edited by yowhatsshakin on Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:56 pm

Great Score Sam. The Super is one of the ASAT's on my list and I hope to find one some day, but there a few in line ahead unless I find one for a real good deal. Love that Mahogany with the MFD's.

Tom

Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:40 am

Casey, I agree on the push the amp aspect. This one is not as light as I expected, based on the Jr, but still a respectable weight. Still need to do official weight.

Dan thank you and yes, the immortal words of Greg Gagliano, "You can never have too many ASAT's" are words to live by. :evilgrin:

Jos, information much appreciated, won't pull the neck now.

Tom, one will come along for sure, the wait is the hardest part. Go HOG MFD's! (Sounds like a G&L team) :crazy:

Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:54 pm

I have the all HOG ASAT Special Build guitars which will get me by in the meantime. Not the same pickups but some of the same characteristics as the Super with the over wound bridge pickup being able to really give the pre-amp stage a real good workout when driven yet giving super clean tones when dialed back. Saddle lock bridge and everything.

Question though: did you find thatSuper on one of the mainstream auction sites? I may have just missed it as I mostly do my daily searches on Leo era guitars and don't probably search enough for those BBE era gems like the Super. I used to see them pop up in the UK mostly, not sure why.

Tom

Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:14 pm

cool, nice score. enjoy

Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:31 pm

Tom - I'm sure yours with the over wound pickups and mahogany body get all the workout needed. :thumbup: Found on Reverb

ieso, thanks, and still working on your manual. :alright:

Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:04 am

It looks gorgeous too! Nice score Sam!

Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:39 pm

Hope your Super will continue to put a smile on your face forever! Mine surely does, soundwise it's the best of all my G&L's. From the looks most peope think it's sort of a gentleman's guitar with an (overly) polite tone, but actually it can be a flamethrower if you dig in with the volume wide open. :D

One thing that really stands out is the absence of any dead spots on the neck whereas any other Fender style guitar I've played/owned always have at least one or two. Not so so with the Super, all accross the neck there is ample sustain and rich overtones. If only the controls layout were that of a standard ASAT Special it would be the ultimate guitar that cannot be bettered in any way.... well, maybe an oil finish on the neck instead of the gloss laquer would be the only other detail where I think it could be improved for my personal preferences. Then again, for THAT tone I'm happy to live with these minor drawbacks.

Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:45 pm

Dan, thank you sir!
George, It has put a smile on my face for a few days and sure more will follow. I am definitely hearing the flamethrower in here. Have not had much time to analyze up and down the neck. I don't mind the controls, kind of like an ASAT Deluxe which I am used to as well. The only possible change for mine at this time is it could be a little lighter. Not bad at all but for SH body, even mahogany, was expecting slightly lighter. The scale I use is being borrowed so I don't have an exact weight right now.

Took off the neck tonight and here are the marks. Looks like June 5 stamp, but do not know what the numbers mean, I get Tobacco. Anyone who knows please enlighten me. :searching:

Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:39 am

Sam,

The number looks like an invoice # or order #. "T.L". might be initials of the person who put the guitar together.

- Jos

Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:53 pm

Another beauty Sam! Love that sunburst finish and matching stock.
The overwound bridge p’up with a saddle lock sounds like its ideal combination.

Jeff

Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:10 pm

Sam, you should try to have G&L look up this guitar and see what they know. Jos mentions that those numbers could be an invoice or order number, they can also be a repair order such as if the neck were replaced. Are there any markings on the neck heel? If the date is close to the body date it would be unlikely that it has been replaced. But, G&L should be able to tell you what those numbers refer to. I have found out some pretty interesting things from speaking to them.

Tom

Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:44 pm

Jos, thanks as always.
Jeff, this pickup combo really is sweet. I just want to drive the bridge more.
Tom, that's a great idea. Would like to get more details if possible. Ya know, I was in a rush and only looked at the butt end of the neck for the picture, will look on heel for more.

Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:37 pm

Mystery gets deeper....

Took these pics tonight after re-examining the neck and got more of the story.

I see ASAT Jr II written here, wonder what this neck was supposed to be on? Looks like initials MA and 2004, but not sure. Jos or anyone know about these ASAT Jr II notes?

EDITORIAL NOTE: Why didn't I check this the first time you ask. When not with G&L guitars I spend a fare amount of time on road bikes - bicycles. Sunday however I spent a bit of time on the asphalt. Took a nasty spill taking a sharp corner and took off quite a bit of my right side, shoulder down and bonked head a bit. (Many thanks to my helmet by the way, if you ride a bike wear a helmet) After trip to the ER to make sure shoulder had no break, and it did not, came home and thought to myself, I will check out my Super. Head must have been a little foggy to not fully check out the neck. Clearer head tonight resulted in these new pics. Road rash on shoulder and still a little tender keeps me from putting over should with strap, and road rash on hip makes a little uncomfortable in lap. BUT, put I did put on a new set of 10's and man does she sing. I really want to open up that bridge pickup. All should be healed very soon and will be able to strap her on and dig in. Stay tuned. :D

Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:03 pm

Sam,

Hope you're feeling a little better! Very familiar with being thrown over ones handle bar! Happened to me a couple of times too, fortunately without breaking anything. Not sure whether at my current age the result would be identical.

As for the neck heel on the 'Super', I have the same thing:

See also the page on my site with links to archived pages originally appearing on the G&L website.

The ASAT 'Junior' was issued 6 years prior in 1998. Given there are some commonalities between the 2 in terms of materials used, although not the bridge, the internal name was 'Junior II', hence the markings on the heel. Also remember G&L built some other all-hog instruments in 2004, like the ASAT HB (which has its model name scribbled on the heel), and they had to be kept apart. Before going to market, they settled on the ASAT 'Super' for the main character of this thread. The ''Junior II' model name was used in the end in 2011, initially for the Korina Collection ASAT Junior II, but for a model using P-90 pickups instead.

Hope this helps. Now :sign0011:

- Jos

Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:15 am

Thanks Jos,

I recall your your Super “artwork” now mine makes sense.

We’re about the same age so, I do feel it more but will be back in the saddle again soon.

Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:03 am

Sam, I cycle to work daily, and as I'm fiddy-one now, the new wounds don't heal so fast as they used to. Hope your recovery time is short, and that you're not overly inconvenienced by it.

- Dan

Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:53 am

sam wrote:...Road rash on shoulder and still a little tender keeps me from putting over should with strap, and road rash on hip makes a little uncomfortable in lap.

So how's your bike?

(Sorry, somebody had to ask... :D )

--Al Evans

Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:04 am

Yep... I went down once when the glue failed on my front sew-up tire and it rolled off the rim. All the way to the hospital my wife said I kept repeating, "How's the bike...". I have no recollection of any of it. Just as well :)

Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:05 am

Sorry to hear about your accident Sam. Hopefully it's not as bad as it sounds and you get better soon.

I seem to remember seeing these odd doodles on one of my guitars but can't remember which one and a quick review of my gallery didn't turn up anything. I thought it might have been one of my ASAT Special HB's but I don't think I ever took one of them apart.

Oddly enough too, both mine are 2004 models but have the CLF serial numbers, not G0. So the info on serial numbers by Jos seems to have some exceptions. (can't remember off the top of my head when they switched S# formats)

Tom

Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:33 am

Thanks all,

Dan, Healing is coming along, just staying on top of cleaning etc., but yes, a little slower than in my youth. Got on a plane today so not inconveniencing me too much. Wish I lived close enough to the office to ride my bike like you.

Al, I agree, it had to be asked. Bike seems ok, except for some scrapes on the brake levers and the blown rear tire seems ok. Will know for sure in a couple of days after tire replacement. My body did a fine job of protecting it from the pavement. :roll:

Tooslowhand, sounds familiar! Glad to see you survived as well.

Tom, they must have been in a doodling mood in 2004. I remember when you got that ASAT Special HB too well, sweet guitar. If you ever check the neck stamp and notes it will be interesting to see what's there.

Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:48 pm

FZTNT wrote:Oddly enough too, both mine are 2004 models but have the CLF serial numbers, not G0. So the info on serial numbers by Jos seems to have some exceptions. (can't remember off the top of my head when they switched S# formats)

Tom

See this post in our G&L Knowledgebase: Serial number significance.

Hope this helps.

Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:53 pm

Thanks. Yes, I think I survived, though I wonder sometimes :). I protected my bike wonderfully well; only the brake lever hoods were damaged. I ground holes through the toes of my shoe, destroyed a helmet, and had a face, shoulder, and arm full of road rash. I guess I led with my head. Hope you heal soon.

Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:51 pm

Craig wrote:
FZTNT wrote:Oddly enough too, both mine are 2004 models but have the CLF serial numbers, not G0. So the info on serial numbers by Jos seems to have some exceptions. (can't remember off the top of my head when they switched S# formats)

Tom

See this post in our G&L Knowledgebase: Serial number significance.

Hope this helps.

Yes, however, I was referring to the numbers that Jos posted that were G0 numbers, not CLF as would be the case in 2004.

On another note, in the "serial number significance" link you posted, you refer to the CCD logo being laser etched. I was under the impression that the logo was first Laser etched then routed out for an insert (not sure of the wood, perhaps Rosewood or Mahogany) placed and sanded flush. I found this info on the CLF research page I think but read it somewhere. What can you verify about this logo?

Tom

Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:28 pm

FZTNT wrote:On another note, in the "serial number significance" link you posted, you refer to the CCD logo being laser etched. I was under the impression that the logo was first Laser etched then routed out for an insert (not sure of the wood, perhaps Rosewood or Mahogany) placed and sanded flush. I found this info on the CLF research page I think but read it somewhere. What can you verify about this logo?

Tom

They are using both Mahogany and Quilted Maple inserts, see this post: G&L Custom Shop serial number and logo laser etching .... I also updated the Serial number significance post.

Hope this helps.

Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:21 pm

FZTNT wrote:Sorry to hear about your accident Sam. Hopefully it's not as bad as it sounds and you get better soon.

I seem to remember seeing these odd doodles on one of my guitars but can't remember which one and a quick review of my gallery didn't turn up anything. I thought it might have been one of my ASAT Special HB's but I don't think I ever took one of them apart.

Oddly enough too, both mine are 2004 models but have the CLF serial numbers, not G0. So the info on serial numbers by Jos seems to have some exceptions. (can't remember off the top of my head when they switched S# formats)

Tom

Hey Tom,

To the best of my knowledge, the graffiti you are referring to is seen on necks between 2003 and 2004 ( see blurb at bottom of my 'RampASAT' page). Unfortunatelly, I do not know the name of the associated employee. Would love to know that. I'm also curious what year your guitar is just to have another datum.

CLF numbers started around 1998 so there is no surprise your guitar from 2004 has that format. (See my Serial Number page as well as Craig's Knowledgebase reference above). I do not know of any 'exceptions' unless were talking about an 3-bolt employee guitar assembled after the transition between 3-bolt and 4-bolt neck. Hence, I fixed my glaring error in my OP where I used the wrong prefix and format for a triplet of ''Super' serial numbers to avoid any confusion.

- Jos

Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:33 pm

Sam, glad to hear of your survival and all vital parts moving.
Here's to healing and music to soothe the soul, :cheers:

Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:41 pm

Thats a beauty Sam. I love the pick guard on these, really tasty.

Bike crashes are the best! I had a spill last weekend but escaped completely unscathed. Looks like we need a bike thread on here...

Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:36 pm

Thanks for the well wishes, definitely on the mend. Glad to hear you were unscathed as well Jamie. Always thought a G&L kit or jersey would look great riding around. :idea:

Jos, I saw that RampASAT on fleabay, but just couldn't pull the trigger. Perhaps an ASAT HB is higher on my wish list. The CLF-100 neck pickup on the HB seems like it would add more flavor. The DCR on the Screamin Demon is 10k and the AW4370B runs 13.4k, maybe more to my liking for this set up. Do you have a preference between the two guitars, and between the two bridge pickups?

Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:25 pm

Glad to hear you were not seriously injured, gravel and front brakes are fickle mistresses. My S-500 from 2003 also has the same neck grafitti BTW.

Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:21 pm

FYI, I did find the guitar with similar scribbling today and it is on the neck heel of my 2002 NAMM Comanche. I must have also seen this on another guitar a few years ago cause I remember having a discussion with a G&L employee who knew the worker that did this. I seem to remember him saying his name was Dave something and was told not to do this and was apparently not well liked around the shop.

Here's my Comanche neck.

Tom

Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:25 pm

Got my scale back and she weighs in at 6.8lbs. The more I have played this one it is not as heavy as originally thought, but then again haven't' had her on a strap and on my back yet. Post road rash healing well, so I will strap her on this weekend. Yee-ha

Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:32 am

sam wrote:Got my scale back and she weighs in at 6.8lbs. The more I have played this one it is not as heavy as originally thought, but then again haven't' had her on a strap and on my back yet. Post road rash healing well, so I will strap her on this weekend. Yee-ha

Sam,

With its chambered hog body that weight seem to be perfectly in line with expectations.

:sign0011: :sign0011: :sign0011:

- Jos