S-500 versus ASAT Classic S

Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:41 pm

Anyone have (or at least played) both an S-500 and an ASAT Classic S and if so can you comment on how they compare in terms of sound? I've looked unsuccessfully for an S-500 for a while (I'm in Australia where there don't seem to be many), but I do now have an ASAT Classic S. The middle pickup is actually the same as on an S-500, and the two other pickups are also MFDs, So now I'm starting to wonder if what I have is close enough to what I was looking for. Thanks

Re: S-500 versus ASAT Classic S

Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:09 pm

dhgleaves wrote:Anyone have (or at least played) both an S-500 and an ASAT Classic S and if so can you comment on how they compare in terms of sound? I've looked unsuccessfully for an S-500 for a while (I'm in Australia where there don't seem to be many), but I do now have an ASAT Classic S. The middle pickup is actually the same as on an S-500, and the two other pickups are also MFDs, So now I'm starting to wonder if what I have is close enough to what I was looking for. Thanks

The big differences are the control wiring, the bridge type and body shape are different. You might search for U-tube videos of each model to hear the differences.
For differences in the pickups, see: List of pickups used in G&L guitars.

Hope this helps.

Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:05 pm

dhgleaves wrote:Anyone have (or at least played) both an S-500 and an ASAT Classic S and if so can you comment on how they compare in terms of sound? I've looked unsuccessfully for an S-500 for a while (I'm in Australia where there don't seem to be many), but I do now have an ASAT Classic S. The middle pickup is actually the same as on an S-500, and the two other pickups are also MFDs, So now I'm starting to wonder if what I have is close enough to what I was looking for. Thanks

Not the same thing by a long shot. I do not have experience with the modern day S-500, my youngest is an S-500 Signature from 1991, but I can compare those with a couple of ASAT Classic 'S' guitars. The former is a hi-fi "Strat" with wonderful pickups and PTB tone stack giving you all the traditional sounds and more. The latter is a souped up Tele with ASAT Classic MFD pups where expected and the middle S-500 pup there to add some nice quack-like tones. But again, an entirely different foundation on which the sonics are built where things like body shape and tone stack differences all factor in.

Happy hunting and best of luck.

- Jos

Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:42 am

I haven't played a Classic S, but my ASAT and my S-500 sound different -- the S-500 sounds like it has springs in it... :D

--Al Evans