ASAT SPECIAL VS BLUESBOY 90

Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:17 am

Hello first time posting,

I apologize if this has been asked 100 times...But I've been debating between these two models for a while and can't seem to make a decision, so I thought I'd get some advice from anyone willing to give their input.

I have an ASAT Classic solid body right now and I love it, playing through a Vox AC15C1. I'm in an indie rock/folk (fuzz folk) band that gigs pretty regularly and just want to get another option for playing and writing.

Whichever I choose will have the same specs:

Semi-Hollow (F-hole delete)
Swamp Ash
Old School Tobacco Sunburst
3-Ply Black Pickguard
Top Binding White
Quarter sawn 9.5" radius neck, rosewood fingerboard

Nothing too crazy build-wise. I've only had the chance to play the Bluesboy 90 once and loved it, but have played the Special more and it's also great. I'm also extremely indecisive and appreciate anyone that takes the time to give me advice or opinions.

Thanks,
Ricky
Last edited by rickyjoewhitejr on Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

Re: ASAT SPECIAL VS BLUESBOY 90

Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:32 am

The Bluesboy 90 will have the same bridge pickup as your ASAT Classic. To me the semi-hollow will not impact the tone significantly. So to me the ASAT Special will give you more tone variety. Personally, I find the large MFDs to be the finest pickups in the G&L offering. Very full and dynamic and respond great to the volume and tone control. I heard good things about both, but my recommendation would be for the Special, because it is "special"

Cheers, Dan

Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:03 am

I own the BB90 and a Leo era Asat with the wide MFD p’ups. I love the old Asat above all my other guitars.
Can’t comment on how the new MFDs sound but since you have a Classic already I would say go with the Special...perhaps get a DFV too!
The BB90 is great too. Good luck.

Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:35 pm

I would spend the money on the USA ASAT Special. It is the quintessential G&L guitar. If you want a guitar with P-90s, you can get a used Tribute ASAT Jr. II later for a few hundred dollars. I have one and it is a surprisingly nice guitar for what I paid, but my Leo era ASAT with large MFDs is amazing.