New Doheny V12 released by CLF Research

Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:31 pm

For those that followed Dave's adventures on FB trying to design a humbucker version of the Doheny, wait no longer! I've seen a couple of Doheny V12 guitars pop up on Reverb:
https://reverb.com/item/16714029-g-l-clf-research-doheny-v12-2018-tobacco-sunburst-old-school-urethane
https://reverb.com/item/16714136-g-l-clf-research-doheny-v12-2018-pharaoh-gold-urethane

- Jos

Re: New Doheny V12 released by CLF Research

Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:40 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:For those that followed Dave's adventures on FB trying to design a humbucker version of the Doheny, wait no longer! I've seen a couple of Doheny V12 guitars pop up on Reverb:
https://reverb.com/item/16714029-g-l-clf-research-doheny-v12-2018-tobacco-sunburst-old-school-urethane
https://reverb.com/item/16714136-g-l-clf-research-doheny-v12-2018-pharaoh-gold-urethane

- Jos

I just saw this one on the latest Inventory list and have sent emails to Dave M and Dave B inquiring about it to find out if they are a new CLF model or a special build:

Stay tuned.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:06 pm

Wow. Wonderful. Really under the radar, huh? Auctions say CLF. Wonder if these are F100 pickups below the covers. Love the old school black crinkle/colored switches, if it was Saddle Lock I might pounce right away :D

Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:19 pm

Danley wrote:Wow. Wonderful. Really under the radar, huh? Auctions say CLF. Wonder if these are F100 pickups below the covers. Love the old school black crinkle/colored switches, if it was Saddle Lock I might pounce right away :D

Not F-100 MFDs, see:Proto of an MFD humbucker in a jazz size....

I am awaiting info from Dave M and Dave B on this new CLF Research model.

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:07 am

Love it !!!!

Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:15 am

I have seen at least four for sale so I think it's legit production model.

What is the significance of the V12 in the name?

Tom

Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:01 pm

I assume twelve pole pieces/pickup ; but I think that could have been better considered. Now what will they call the twelve string Doheny? ;)

Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:55 pm

Pair that with a Z-Coil in the neck position.

If only they would make a reverse for us humble, left-handed folk...

Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:42 pm

willross wrote:Pair that with a Z-Coil in the neck position.

If only they would make a reverse for us humble, left-handed folk...

You might try one of the G&L Custom Shop dealers and ask them to contact G&L Sales to see if they would approve it.
Just a thought.

Official Announcement just made ...

Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:16 pm

This was recently posted on the G&L Facebook page:

The new CLF Research Doheny V12: Explore New Sonic Territory in Leo’s Land.

When the G&L Doheny was launched in 2017, its application of Leo’s modern features was expected.
The breathtaking versatility of its MFD™ singe coil pickups, however, was a revelation, a guitar capable
of delivering delicate, airy jangle all the way to thick, grindy single coil tones. Those pickups were
painstakingly created by Johnny McLaren in the spirit of Leo’s later work at CLF Research.

The CLF Research Doheny V12 digs even deeper into the rapid pace of technical development that was
the hallmark of Leo’s CLFR years, with particular focus on his late ’70s to early ’80s development of
MFD guitar humbuckers. With the benefit of decades of hindsight and unlimited access to Leo’s technical work,
brothers Dave and Johnny McLaren challenged themselves to create the most musical MFD guitar humbuckers
ever to come from Fender Avenue. But they set their sights even higher: fulfill a vision Leo had for “end-to-end”
humbucking guitar pickups that would sound beautiful in series-humbucking, parallel-humbucking, or single coil modes.
Pickups that would sit well in a variety of musical contexts, never short of either power or articulation.
Pickups that would put a smile on Leo’s face.

Leo believed musicians could understand and benefit from more control over their instruments, and in his later years,
Leo was particularly interested in fundamental coil control. The reward can be a surprisingly versatile instrument,
and that’s why each of the Doheny V12’s MFD humbuckers is individually controlled by a 3-way mini toggle with
classic CLF color-coloded switch tip, white for neck pickup and red for bridge pickup.

The period styling continues with original CLF black wrinkle powdercoating on a one-piece aluminum control plate/pickguard,
a perfect backdrop for the exquisitely machined and chrome plated CLF knobs for volume, treble and bass. The Dual Fulcrum Vibrato
features a CLF 3/16″ machined stainless steel vibrato arm for a period look while benefiting from today’s forged brass saddles and block.
Put it all together, and the Doheny V12’s gorgeous looks and bold, pioneering spirit make it an offset for the ages.

The CLF Research Doheny V12 is available in the following thin urethane finishes:

> Old School Tobacco Sunburst over okoume, Caribbean rosewood
> Pharaoh Gold Firemist over basswood, Caribbean rosewood

phpBB [video]

Check it out!

Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:01 pm

Now, THAT is icing on the cake!! Too cool---flexible tones, got the old school crinkle guard. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:08 pm

Whoa cool. I'd want one with a Saddle Lock :) Hope that's on the menu without going custom shop, because I really am tempted.

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:31 pm

I love it. I was kinda hoping it's be a 12 string like the Fender XII but I still love it.

Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:54 pm

Danley wrote:Whoa cool. I'd want one with a Saddle Lock :) Hope that's on the menu without going custom shop, because I really am tempted.

Unfortunately, no options are available on the CLF Research models. See: CLF Research Doheny V12 Specifications page.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:21 am

Craig wrote:You might try one of the G&L Custom Shop dealers and ask them to contact G&L Sales to see if they would approve it.
Just a thought.

Do they finally have a "left-handed" Z-Coil? I've played the reverse on one of those lefty Comanche's that was released; it wasn't right...

If they finally do, I will call and order one today!

Regards,
Will

Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:47 am

That's pretty awesome. Curious to hear what they sound like.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:09 am

LeftyLV426 wrote:That's pretty awesome. Curious to hear what they sound like.

Here you go as demoed by JB Eckl
phpBB [video]

Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:38 pm

Nice! Sorry, must have scrolled right past the video above.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:59 pm

Yeah it sounds quite fat.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:18 pm

Love the concept, but I'm just not a fan of that body shape. Wish they would apply those concepts to something with the old F-100 shape, or even the new Skyhawk shape.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:23 pm

I'm a huge offset fan (have several Fenders) so I like the shape- given others are starting to feel the same way of late, I have no issue with G&L offering a take on it. I'd also like to see more reissues or experimentation with the traditional F100/Skyhawk shape though.

What does sort of puzzle me, is the Doheny is the only guitar G&L makes that uses a standard 21 fret fender neck and pocket- curious if there's a reason the 22 fret/square pocket neck wasn't used. No big deal really, but I find it a piece of G&L's distinctiveness.

Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:13 am

It seems to be a limited run !

Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:56 am

Matdeflo wrote:It seems to be a limited run !

That is what one advertiser states: 15 Gold Mist, 15 Old School Tobacco

But the page on the G&L website mentions nothing of the sort. So are they?

- Jos

Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:15 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:

- Jos

I believe it is like the other 3 CLF Research instruments where they are built in batches based upon dealer orders.
I have emailed Dave M and Dave B to get clarification on this.

Stay tuned.

Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:27 am

My thought is it isn't worth it to tool for the pickups without some future volume expected. Although per Craig's link above the pickups are not the same spec. as F100 pickups, I do wonder how much structural similarity/sharing occurred.

Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:32 am

Tooslowhand wrote:Love the concept, but I'm just not a fan of that body shape. Wish they would apply those concepts to something with the old F-100 shape, or even the new Skyhawk shape.

I have been on the fence with the body shape as well, however with these new pick ups and the combo of colours with the crinkle pick guard.... One of the better youtube demo's I have heard . The CLF division is putting out the more interesting G&L's IMO, enough to make me consider overpaying for a new one .

Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:27 am

Craig wrote:
yowhatsshakin wrote:

- Jos

I believe it is like the other 3 CLF Research instruments where they are built in batches based upon dealer orders.
I have emailed Dave M and Dave B to get clarification on this.

Stay tuned.

Here is Dave M.'s reply:

Hi Craig,

My thinking is little batches and I think that quantity sounds right for the first batch. For one thing the thin urethane takes much longer to cure so it helps us to plan in batches,
plus there’s other special bits like the CLF knobs, plates and such that are made in small batches too.

I hope this makes sense. : )

Thanks, Craig!

Dave

Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:30 am

Craig wrote:Here is Dave M.'s reply:

Hi Craig,

My thinking is little batches and I think that quantity sounds right for the first batch. For one thing the thin urethane takes much longer to cure so it helps us to plan in batches,
plus there’s other special bits like the CLF knobs, plates and such that are made in small batches too.

I hope this makes sense. : )

Thanks, Craig!

Dave

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:35 pm

glvourot wrote:
Tooslowhand wrote:Love the concept, but I'm just not a fan of that body shape. Wish they would apply those concepts to something with the old F-100 shape, or even the new Skyhawk shape.

I have been on the fence with the body shape as well, however with these new pick ups and the combo of colours with the crinkle pick guard.... One of the better youtube demo's I have heard . The CLF division is putting out the more interesting G&L's IMO, enough to make me consider overpaying for a new one .

Me too. Haven't really bonded with the shape or the name but this version with the humbuckers sounds better than I ever would have thought and I too might consider a new one at the going rate.

You know what would be real bad ass is if they made a version with rear mounted controls and no pick guard, all Mahogany or Maple, Ebony board and a killer finish like the ASAT JRs or that Caramel on the ASAT Special HBs. Then you would have me hook, line and capo! Of course the discontinued YELLOW would be the ultimate.

Tom

Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:23 pm

IMHO - Needs the SLB. I have learned to hate the trem guitars.

Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:21 am

guitar_ed wrote:IMHO - Needs the SLB. I have learned to hate the trem guitars.

I would second that Ed. Specially a string through version.

Tom

Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:54 am

A string-through would be a harbringer for an accurate F100 reissue.

Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:19 pm

Here is another demo video posted on G&:L's facebook page:

Johnny Gomez takes us through some of the Doheny V12's many pickup combinations, including some of his favorites.
The new CLF Research Doheny V12 guitar features all-new MFD humbuckers, controlled by individual series/single/parallel mini-toggles
and innovative PTB system.

phpBB [video]

Check it out :thumbup:

Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:21 am

Craig, do you think the v12 Domes with any other colours in further batches?

I ordered one of 3 OST V12 that will be sent to germany, can‘t wait for the beauty :happy0065:

Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:38 am

Gutmann wrote:Craig, do you think the v12 Domes with any other colours in further batches?

I ordered one of 3 OST V12 that will be sent to germany, can‘t wait for the beauty :happy0065:

Wow, congrats. Looking forward to hearing your feedback on it.

Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:00 pm

Gutmann wrote:Craig, do you think the v12 Domes with any other colours in further batches?

I emailed Dave M. and Dave B. to find out. I too, noticed that this new CLF Research model only comes in two colors,
whereas the other models have 4 colors to chose from.

Stay tuned.

Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:35 pm

Hope the pickups appear in the G&L store- might have to pick one up for my parts Jazzmaster :)

Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:02 pm

Craig wrote:

I emailed Dave M. and Dave B. to find out. I too, noticed that this new CLF Research model only comes in two colors,
whereas the other models have 4 colors to chose from.

Stay tuned.

I never heard back on this, so will assume that they are only offering them in those two colors.
There is one other option you might look into is to check with a G&L Custom Shop dealer to find out if they will make one in another color of your choice.

Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:26 pm

I just bought a Tobacco Burst one today from an online store (my new avatar). Just, not so patiently, waiting for it to arrive.
I've already entered it and the new Legacy I bought last month into the G&L Registry.
:banana: :banana: :elguitar054:

Here's a CLF Research Doheny V12 in Old School Tobacco Sunburst.
CLF1810189 is headed to G&L Premier Dealer Music Store Live.

This one's mine. :D
Last edited by tdiers on Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:23 am

Just gorgeous! Have fun playing it.

- Jos

Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:35 am

I really don't want or need any more guitars but I have been thinking about these V12's for a while now. It looks great !

Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:06 pm

Man, I love both finishes. OSTB is hand downs one of my favorites. Gold never did anything for me, but man there is something about Pharaoh's Gold Firemist (I think it is the hint of red in the depth of the color.

Congratulations tdiers! She's a hot one.

Cheers, Dan

Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:51 pm

Thank you, Jos, Paul, & Dan! :D
I got lucky on this one. Great color and grain pattern. I'd been thinking about getting a V12 for a long time.
I can't wait to play it.

Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:32 pm

Beauty! Glad to have another V12 owner.

For those on the fence, it's all about the versatility!! If that's what you're looking for, this guitar does it.

Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:36 pm

Is it just me, or in the Johnny Gomez video (above) starting around 3:39, they have the parallel and series positions mislabeled?

Right after he has both in parallel, he switches the neck from parallel to series but the label changes the bridge to series. It continues from there until 4:01 .... :confused0007:

Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:53 am

tomanche wrote:Is it just me, or in the Johnny Gomez video (above) starting around 3:39, they have the parallel and series positions mislabeled?

Right after he has both in parallel, he switches the neck from parallel to series but the label changes the bridge to series. It continues from there until 4:01 .... :confused0007:

I noticed that too. A bit confusing. But, we know it's Series in the up positions, parallel in the middle, and single coil in the down positions.

Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:39 pm

tdiers wrote:I noticed that too. A bit confusing. But, we know it's Series in the up positions, parallel in the middle, and single coil in the down positions.

Hmm, I think the single coil is middle and parallel is down. Not that it's confusing! :)

Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:14 pm

tomanche wrote:
tdiers wrote:I noticed that too. A bit confusing. But, we know it's Series in the up positions, parallel in the middle, and single coil in the down positions.

Hmm, I think the single coil is middle and parallel is down. Not that it's confusing! :)

You're probably right. I'm still waiting for mine to get here (delayed due to the recent snowstorm).

Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:26 pm

Measuring the DC-R values on my V12, I get series (up), parallel (down), or in single-coil mode (middle). So tomanche is correct.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:11 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:Measuring the DC-R values on my V12, I get series (up), parallel (down), or in single-coil mode (middle). So tomanche is correct.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Thanks so much for the info, Jos! It would have been nice if they included a pamphlet with that information as part of the documentation. I was having some difficulty figuring it out tone wise.
I just received mine on Saturday. Awesome guitar! Best I have ever owned!
:sign0011: :elguitar054:
-Todd