Quest for Keepers

Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:36 pm

I've been a fan of G&L for a long time, but for some reason never actually owned one myself. That all changed a few months ago when on a whim I picked up a nice Tribute ASAT Classic. I liked the Tribute so much I couldn't wait to get my hands on a USA model to try out. G&L's are fairly rare near me so it's virtually impossible to try out different models, let alone all the different options that they can be ordered with...specifically neck profiles. So I decided to embark on a quest for keepers.

My goal is to purchase and try out as many USA G&L's that I can. My primary goal is to find guitars that have something special or unique about them. Something that had to be custom ordered, or was a guitar that was such a smoking deal I can buy it, try it, and flip it if I decide it's not keeper. Rather than start a bunch of threads I thought I'd just centralize my process in one spot. I'll do my best to provide a summary of the guitar and share why it is/is not a keeper to me. Feel free to ask questions, and I'll do my best to update this post as often as I can.

I'll kick things off with the Tribute.

Limited Edition Tribute ASAT Classic: Solid guitar, but doesn't hold a candle to the USA models. This is a great guitar, just out of it's league compared to the USAs. It would absolutely smoke a Squire, and probably most MIM Fenders. Someone could definitely mod it, have the frets dressed, swap out the electronics etc., but it's really not needed as it sounds great stock. Honestly, I really liked the neck profile. It's not super thin, not chunky, just darn comfortable. What I didn't like about the neck was the washed out looked, and the lack of finish. Just felt kinda cheap in my hands. The bridge was also slightly misaligned, and the body was pieced together with 3 random pieces of wood which didn't look good to me. With that said the guitar played great, sounded great, and I would have no problem recommending a Tribute to anyone interested in a solid guitar. This guitar was my introduction into the G&L world, but ultimately not a keeper...only because the USA models are so nice.

ImageImageImage

Next up...USA ASAT Classic

USA ASAT Classic: This is a true instrument. Every detail is well executed. The finish is so nice it's almost impossible for me to accurately capture the grain in the pics. This is the type of guitar that I'm proud to own, because it oozes the pride of the folks who made it. This baby was flawless. The binding was crisp, color was rich, frets were perfection, great resonate instrument. The only downside to this baby was the neck profile. It had the Modern Classic profile, and in my hands it simply felt too thin. At the same time I purchased this one I also bought an ASAT Special with the Classic C neck. I much preferred the Classic C profile so I decided this one wasn't a keeper. I may kick myself for letting this one go...it was crazy nice.

ImageImageImageImage

Last for tonight...USA Legacy HSS

USA Legacy HSS: I bought this guitar purely for its looks. It's every bit as nice as the ASAT, possibly a little nicer, and has a loud vibrant acoustic tone. The dual fulcrum vibrato is the nicest vibrato I've ever tried. It is pure silk. If I pegged this guitar at a perfect 10, I'd have to give my MIA Strat a 6. The G&L is really that much better from a quality, value, and craftsmanship standpoint. I ordered this within a day of the ASAT and it came with the same Modern Classic neck profile. The neck is great, just not the keeper perfect I am searching for. I'm also not a huge fan of flame tops on Strat style guitars, and I think the combination of the solid white pick guard and chrome humbucker clashed a bit. Like the ASAT above, I may kick myself for parting with this one, but there are always more fish in the sea.

ImageImageImage

No keepers in this batch, but I have several guitars coming up. The next few will include a bird's eye maple Legacy, a saddle lock bridge S-500, deep V neck ASAT Classic, and an ASAT Special vs ASAT Special S3 shootout. Stay tuned!

Re: Quest for Keepers

Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:17 am

I like the look of that Legacy with the humbucker, but if the neck is too thin I get why you would let it go.

You should order or get your hands on a Legacy Special. It is a "special" and unique guitar, so fits your goal.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the S500.

Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:05 pm

Might need to spec. one to order your own :) I agree with the comment on disliking pale/matte finished necks; just screams 'Squier' when I play one, I prefer amber/gloss. I have a Tribute ASAT as well, agree it's a nice guitar but IMO a US G&L is still much better (fretwork on the Tribute is not ideal in particular, could use a level.)

Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:21 pm

Danley wrote:Might need to spec. one to order your own :) I agree with the comment on disliking pale/matte finished necks; just screams 'Squier' when I play one, I prefer amber/gloss. I have a Tribute ASAT as well, agree it's a nice guitar but IMO a US G&L is still much better (fretwork on the Tribute is not ideal in particular, could use a level.)

Oh, there's definitely a custom order in the near future. In the meantime, this is a pretty fun process as I get to experience a lot of cool guitars.

I'm with you on neck finish. I have a beautiful ASAT Special which I'll post up soon that has a clear satin finish. I love the feel, but the look is a bit blah.

Via the process of elimination, I'm gravitating towards a Classic C or larger neck profile with a light to vintage tint. With that said I'll post up what I think is my first keeper soon...it has a thin neck...go figure.

Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:35 pm

KEEPER ALERT!!!

Here is my new S-500! Where do I start with this guitar? Everything about it is awesome. The neck is the Classic C profile, has beautiful birds eye and figuring, unique reverse headstock, and the saddle lock bridge makes this baby an absolute sustain monster. The prior owner swapped out the pickups to Lindy Fralin Blues Specials...they are insanely thick and creamy. Honestly, I'm kind of bummed to not have the MFDs, but the Fralin's are pretty awesome. I've never played a hard tail Strat before...wow, what a different feel and vibe. The springy overtones are replaced with pristine attack and clarity...and my goodness the sustain is on another level.

Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:06 pm

wow, that's a unique s-500! definitely a looker.
looks like a tones machine. congrats!

Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:11 pm

KEEPER ALERT!!!

ASAT Special S3

This particular guitar is a mean machine. This one is working musician played and loved. It's the type of guitar that has secret mojo from living life on the road vs inside a case. The neck on this tells the story well. It started life with either a satin finish that has been played to a nice worn in gloss feel, or a gloss finish that has been played to a slick satin. This instrument has made some serious music. Contrary to the other guitars I've tried out, this one is not pristine. The finish is checking in spots, there's a small dent here and there etc. It's certainly not a wall hanger or case queen. This is a really fun guitar to play, and A/B against the S-500 above (and Legacy...pics coming soon). Basically, this guitar takes everything the S-500 does and turns the dial up 10 notches. It's loud. it's aggressive. it's mean.

Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:05 pm

If you want them, you can purchase the S-500 MFD pickups in the G&L web store for not all that much money. I have an S-500 and would recommend going back to the MFDs for their really special tone.

Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:33 am

Tooslowhand wrote:If you want them, you can purchase the S-500 MFD pickups in the G&L web store for not all that much money. I have an S-500 and would recommend going back to the MFDs for their really special tone.

I think I'll buy another S-500 before I replace those Fralins :) .

Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:28 pm

Gorgeous S500 neck.

Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:47 pm

I think I'll buy another S-500 before I replace those Fralins :) .

I have a Fender Strat that I put Lindy Fralin pickups in around 25 years ago. They're great but I prefer the MFD's in my S-500. There's just something about them.

Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:12 am

Two more G&L's have come and gone. A beautiful George Fullerton signature, and a 94 ASAT.

The George Fullerton's neck has to be played. It's too unique to fully describe. Mine was a relatively thick hard V. Probably the hardest, sharpest, V I've ever played. Grabbing the guitar literally grabs your attention. It feels so different from anything else available. I currently have a Deep V ASAT, and the V on the Fullerton is WAY more pronounced and distinct. One aspect about the guitar which I thought I'd hate, but ended up really liking were the vintage frets. They look absolutely tiny compared to medium jumbos...almost like someone placed toothpicks in the fretboard :). They were very classy and I had zero problems playing them. I will say there is very little meat on them so with a lot of wear you're probably looking at a refret compared to a crown and polish. I actually purchased this guitar for my Grandfather, however unbeknownst to me he had just purchased a Mary Kaye Blonde Fullerton, which he liked better. Overall very nice guitar, but beyond the neck I didn't feel there was much unique or noteworthy about the guitar. With my S-500 firmly in the fold, this one would simply be a wall hanger so off she went.

The 94 ASAT was really cool. It was my first 3 bolt G&L. The fit and finish was great and every bit as nice as my 2017 ASAT. One difference between the 94 and 17 is the saddle material. It appears the 94 has steel saddles compared to the brass on the 17. Honestly, I couldn't hear a difference, and probably prefer the brass as I think it looks nice. This guitar came with the Fullerton in a package deal so I really didn't need it...I really wanted the Fullerton. I actually offered it to my Dad who loves Tele's but he prefers his Fenders so this one has also found a new home.

I still have several guitars to post up, but I'm starting to hone in on my ideal specs. The biggest variable to me is neck profile. I really prefer a nice full neck. So far I much prefer the Classic C over the Modern Classic, and the Classic C Slim. So much so I will no longer purchase those profiles unless the guitar is crazy special. I've found that identifying neck profiles is very difficult for folks selling online. Many simply do not know what they have, so I have to be especially careful to pick the right guitars going forward. Now I'm on the hunt for the Classic Plus C and Classic Wide C profiles. I really really really want to find 1 3/4" version...think that may be the holy grail. The second variable for me is the bridge type. I simply prefer a fixed bridge over a trem system. My S-500 has been a revelation so now I'm on the hunt for saddle lock versions of the Legacy, Commanche, and Special. This is certainly a fun hobby, and so far I'm having a lot of fun trying out a bunch of really cool guitars.

Here are a few pics...more models coming soon!

Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:56 am

I'm not terribly picky about necks - But I like them thin if I have a choice. Very hard V-necks are the closest thing to a deal-breaker for me, I usually have my thumb behind the neck at the point of the V, which is almost painful.

Frets I prefer larger, but I don't really have any difficulty with smaller ones either.

Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:43 pm

KEEPER ALERT!!!

Here is a very nice Legacy. Uncommon Butterscotch Blonde, Bird's Eye maple neck, Ebony fret board, loaded with Jason Lollar Blonde pickups. It's flawless. Initially, I wasn't sure if she was a keeper. I prefer thick necks, she has a thin neck. I prefer a fixed bridge, she has a vibrato. The cards were stacked against her...BUT...she is soooo beautiful. Pics really don't capture how nice she is. Compared to my Saddle Lock S-500, this Legacy has a more vibrant springy chime to her. She has a great acoustic tone and a body that really resonates. Honestly, I had this one for sale for a bit, but every time I got close to a sale I'd get cold feet and couldn't pull the trigger. The S-500 will get the majority of the playing time, but I couldn't let this one slip away knowing I'd probably never find a similar one again. Similar to the S-500 I'm a little bummed I don't have the original pickups, but I cant complain about the Lollars. Compared the S-500 the Lollars offer a more subtle vintage tone...more mellow and bell like. Between this one and the S-500 I have Strat tones pretty well covered.

Here she is:

Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:46 pm

Here are a couple more ASATs I've tried.

The traditional '52 looking one came with the Deep V neck profile. This profile is much tamer than the George Fullerton V. The Deep V feels more Full Oval by comparison. To be honest it didn't have much of a distinct profile. I could easily switch between the Modern Classic, and yes it felt different, but it wasn't like wow this is crazy different. Probably the equivalent of playing different scale lengths...the first few chords may take a moment of thought, but then the difference disappears.

The rosewood ASAT was a neat little find. I rarely see Butterscotch Blonde with rosewood. It's kind of a hybrid 50's and 60's Tele. The tortoise shell pick guard added an additional little uncommon pop. This guitar has the Modern Classic neck profile, which is what I had on my first few guitars and didn't really get along with. However, it's growing on me a bit. My ASAT S3 has the old slim profile and it's quickly becoming one of my favorite guitars. My favorite neck profile is the Classic C, and I'm still on the hunt for the Classic Plus/Wide version. Hopefully I'll find one sooner than later.

At the end of the day I've now tried 4 different ASATs, but have yet to find a keeper. For some reason I'm just not bonding with them like I hoped I would. I think the culprit is the neck pickup. I really like the bridge, but I'm just not falling in love with the neck. I think I'm going to track down an alnico version, or maybe a Bluesboy next. Another contributing factor is I've also picked up a Fender AVRI '52 Tele. The thing weighs 6lbs, while all the ASATs have been in the 8lb+ range. I never thought 2lbs would matter, but boy it's a different experience. With that said, the G&L build quality DESTROYS Fender. The fender has overspray on the frets...almost like the neck was fretted before the finish was fully dry. Really embarrassing for a flagship model. The G&L's have just been tighter, consistent, great necks and frets...the Fender no so much.

Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:10 am

KEEPER ALERT!!!

ASAT Deluxe with Thornbucker pickups. Pics for now, impressions to follow...but may be my new #1. This was by far my most challenging and fulfilling negotiation...the hardwork paid off.

Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:12 pm

Whoa. No words are needed :D Related, I find myself tempted by a George Fullerton on my local Craigslist; I'm convincing myself out of it by (yet more) recent car expenses.

Thu May 02, 2019 11:25 am

I feel that my quest for keepers experiment will be winding down shortly. Partially due to the fact that I've been through close to 15 guitars this month, but more specifically because the ASAT Deluxe is my new unrivaled number 1. I still need to make time for a full review, but I will just say the Thornbucker pickups are the finest pickups I've ever played. I would even put their split tone above many traditional single coils I've played. Maybe I got lucky, but everything about the guitar screams tone and is an inspiring experience to play.

The Deluxe is so nice I could happily keep it as my one and only guitar. However, that's not how I roll:). In fact, I have 3 more G&L's to report on. I picked up an absolutely stunning Bluesboy with the Classic Wide C neck. I've been searching for this specific neck for a while and finally got one. In short, it's my favorite neck I've ever played. I also have an ASAT Alnico in route with a quartersawn neck...always wanted to check those out. Finally, I have a fallout on it's way. Excited to try out the P90, and got it for an absolute steal. Actually got it from GC. It's the last place I ever thought to score a crazy deal, but they simply didn't know what they had, or simply didn't care and wanted it off their wall. Either way, I'll take it as a win.

I'm happy to keep posting, answer any questions, offer comparisons...or simply go away :). Let me know how I can help.

Sat May 04, 2019 12:32 pm

Running behind on pics, but here are few of my newest Bluesboy. Cool features of this guitar include the semi hollow F hole delete, and the 1 3/4" nut. This guitar is phenomenal, BUT, my ASAT Deluxe is my go to. I much prefer the Thornbucker over the Seth Lover, and honestly I prefer the split Thornbucker in the bridge over the MFD. Guys, no joke, the Thornbuckers are that impressive...to me at least. I do love the Classic Wide C neck though. It's my favorite neck and head and shoulders above the other profiles I've tried which include the Modern Classic (too think), the Classic C (My 2nd favorite), C Slim (least favorite), Deep V (Meh..), George Fullerton V (great if you love Vs).

Mon May 06, 2019 8:37 am

After several hours of playing the Bluesboy, it falls short of my ASAT Deluxe. I love the neck, but the tone of the Deluxe is in a different league. My wife is a classically trained opera performer and hates my too loud and unrefined amateur playing ability, actually complimented the tone of the Deluxe. She thinks it's the best sounding guitar in the collection. Anytime you can win over the wife, you know it's a special guitar.

The neck on the Bluesboy is special. After playing it non stop and switching back to the 1 5/8" width of my Deluxe I did have an adjustment period. By comparison, the 1 5/8" felt pretty tight. For instance, on the 1 5/8" neck I have to use an alternative fingering to play an open A chord. If I don't I can lose the tone due to being a bit cramped. On the 1 3/4" I can do whatever I want, and I found my hand just naturally played better with the slightly wider width.

The Bluesboy is an awesome guitar but lacks the articulation, clarity, and sparkle of the Deluxe. I really think the difference is 80% pickups and 20% tonewood. The Seth Lover pickup sounded very nice, but A/Bing with the Thronbuckers it sounded like I was playing under water. Very muddy in comparison. I'll also take the split Thronbucker over the MFD. Considering the MFD isn't a "traditional" tele pickup, the Thornbucker doesn't push the tone any further away from central...just provides a different color.

I have an ASAT Classic Alnico, ASAT Classic S, and a Fallout on the way. However, I think it's going to be very difficult for any of them to make Keeper status. Between the Deluxe, S-500, and Special 3 I have a huge amount of tone coverage. I'm rooting for the Alnico as I like the idea of having an ASAT in the stable, optimistic about the Fallout due to the P90, but think the S has an uphill battle due to me not agreeing with MFDs. I do like the additional tonal variation of a 3 pickup configuration though.

This has been a blast and wonderful experiment. After a few more rounds of testing I think I'll have nailed my keepers. Time will tell.

Mon May 06, 2019 1:24 pm

Just interested... what do you do with the guitars that aren't "Keepers"?

Mon May 06, 2019 2:53 pm

The finish on the Bluesboy is beautiful.

Mon May 06, 2019 4:00 pm

You guys are killing me, those are all great guitars. The Asat Deluxe is a thing of beauty and I imagine it sounds great with those pickups.

y2kc

Mon May 06, 2019 5:27 pm

Tooslowhand wrote:Just interested... what do you do with the guitars that aren't "Keepers"?

Most I resell, a few I give away as gifts.

To be honest, buying and selling is a huge part of the fun for me. It's part of the hobby and process I really enjoy. I love scouring for deals, I love negotiating, and I love selling. Most of all though, I love finding Keepers. Keepers to me are special. You know it when you find one. Usually, I can tell upon the first strum. Keepers have a unique resonate tone that vibrates and sings. The necks have a certain feel, the string tension is just right...again, you just know it when you find one. Once you find one, it's obvious when other guitars don't quite measure up. My ASAT Deluxe has really spoiled me. I've never had a guitar like it before, it's simply a thrill to play. If a guitar doesn't elicit the same visceral response, regardless of how nice or expensive, it's not a Keeper.

Mon May 06, 2019 5:29 pm

glvourot wrote:The finish on the Bluesboy is beautiful.

It's even better in person. Whoever speced it out did a great job, and I love how the Honeyburst and vintage tint neck flow together. G&L makes some insanely wonderful guitars.

Mon May 06, 2019 5:30 pm

y2kc wrote:You guys are killing me, those are all great guitars. The Asat Deluxe is a thing of beauty and I imagine it sounds great with those pickups.

y2kc

You make a great point. They are all GREAT guitars. Every single G&L I've had my hands on has impressed me in one way or another. The craftsmanship is top notch across the board.

Mon May 06, 2019 7:50 pm

Nice! That ASAT Deluxe is stunning---that neck!!!

I got my hands on a 1-3/4" neck recently and, after the initial shock, really fell in love with it. It helped that it was attached to a great sounding Skyhawk. I passed it along to a friend who wanted to try a G&L---I might not get it back, but that's OK.

Let me know what you think of the Fallout. I tried one in my local store: the P90 is great (I have a P90 Les Paul), the neck bucker is meaty, but where I really lived was on the in-between position with the bridge 'bucker split. Too cool.

Mon May 06, 2019 8:05 pm

The Alnico and S were waiting for me when I got home. My 13 year old daughter and I plugged them in and let them rip. We then A/B'd them against the rest of the collection. Rather than share my impressions, I need a bit more time, here are my daughters initial impressions.

She prefers the S over the Alnico. She says (rightfully so) that the Alnico sounds like a country guitar, while the S sounds more modern. Based on the music she likes she said the S would be better. She then played the Special 3, and liked it more than the S. She said the two guitars sound really similar, but thinks the Special 3 is a bit fuller. Her favorite guitar is the Bluesboy. She's name it Sweet Tooth. It may not be a keeper for me...but she really likes it. Her second favorite is the S-500 with reverse headstock because it looks "rawk," and the unanimous consensus in the house is the Deluxe is the best sounding of the bunch.

Mon May 06, 2019 8:12 pm

I sort of want to recommend you try an F100 (earlier or later) before it's all over :)

Wed May 08, 2019 9:14 am

Well...the smokin deal on the Fallout from Guitar Center turned out to be a bust. The guitar was supposed to be pristine, and ship in a hardshell case with all the case candy. To my dismay I received a beat shipping box with multiple holes and a guitar wrapped in 3 SMALL pieces of bubble wrap. The guitar had a nice dent in the front and a decent gouge in the back. The bubble wrap didn't even cover the guitar so it was basically banging around inside with no protection. What was an incredible USA made instrument is now firewood. Total shame.

However, with my guitar search winding down I thought I'd take a look at G&L bass guitars. I've never owned a bass, don't know how to play bass, but have always wanted a bass. I came across a cool looking L-2000, negotiated what I believe to be a great deal, so now a bass will be joining by little G&L collection. I don't know the specs, don't know how the controls work, I just figured it was worth the risk. It's shipping out today, but here are a few initial pics.

Wed May 08, 2019 9:28 am

Cactus Jack wrote:Well...the smokin deal on the Fallout from Guitar Center turned out to be a bust. The guitar was supposed to be pristine, and ship in a hardshell case with all the case candy. To my dismay I received a beat shipping box with multiple holes and a guitar wrapped in 3 SMALL pieces of bubble wrap. The guitar had a nice dent in the front and a decent gouge in the back. The bubble wrap didn't even cover the guitar so it was basically banging around inside with no protection. What was an incredible USA made instrument is now firewood. Total shame.

However, with my guitar search winding down I thought I'd take a look at G&L bass guitars. I've never owned a bass, don't know how to play bass, but have always wanted a bass. I came across a cool looking L-2000, negotiated what I believe to be a great deal, so now a bass will be joining by little G&L collection. I don't know the specs, don't know how the controls work, I just figured it was worth the risk. It's shipping out today, but here are a few initial pics.

Nice Cherryburst with flame maple top L-2000! :thumbup:

From our Gallery:

Hope this helps.

Wed May 08, 2019 9:28 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
Tooslowhand wrote:Just interested... what do you do with the guitars that aren't "Keepers"?

Most I resell, a few I give away as gifts.

Cool.. I'd like to get on your gift list. The Bluesboy would be nice. Thanks.

Fri May 10, 2019 5:21 am

For the record, I love these posts so keep 'em up!
Also, add me to the gift list please. I play bass and guitar so. I'll take either off your hands :mrgreen:

Mon May 13, 2019 10:56 am

Cactus Jack wrote:Well...

Totally disagree with you on the whole dinged guitar as firewood, but to each to their own. If it's a great instrument then I don't really care what it looks like, within reason.

BASS! IDK if you play w/other people. If you don't then this is pointless because even though I'll sit at home and play bass unplugged it is kind of boring. Nothing like playing guitar solo.
But if you do....
I played guitar for over 20 years before I started playing. Real short: I played w/1 group of friends in a basement (3 guitars and a drummer, SOMETIMES 1 of the dude's kids would play bass. They could play a simple bass line but didn't want to play at all so it was usually just the 3 of us) and I wanted to play at the small church I was going too. Bass player had a rough medical life so there was an available spot. I figured any moron (like me :D ) could play bass so I took it up. I was bad...but I thought I was pretty good, but eventually I learned HOW to play bass in a band.
Eventually, the, growing, basement jam band, basically demanded that I play bass. I was not happy...but I actually played bass so it was hard to argue my point. :-/
Long story short...I now love bass and would probably say that I prefer it.
It really is all about the bass. Nothing like getting a killer groove with a drummer!
So, go for it!

Mon May 13, 2019 11:11 am

i think the L-2000 is an amazing bass! i got one for my son this past December.
his is transparent orange with a maple board, a tribute series, but an amazing instrument just the same.

Mon May 13, 2019 9:48 pm

If you've been following this thread you know how much I love my ASAT Deluxe. I've fallen in love with it, and decided to gut check myself. No way could I have simply stumbled upon the greatest guitar I've ever played and heard. I bought this thing sight unseen off the internet for hecks sake. So I did the only logical thing I could think of...I bought a Les Paul for a shoot out.

This is a Les Paul Traditional. The guitar has Burstbucker 1 & 2s, hand wired electronics, orange caps...this is seriously awesome vintage inspired Les Paul. Contrary to what I've read online the QC of this guitar is top notch. I negotiated a strong deal with a local seller, but I'd honestly have no problem paying retail for the right model. The guitar is phenomenally easy to play, set up great, I'd say everything was a solid 10. However...it's no threat to the ASAT.

Every area the Les Paul excels in, the ASAT is 2 steps ahead. Need vibrant clean tones...ASAT wins. Need sweet grinding rhythm....ASAT wins. Need thick creamy overdrive...ASAT again. If the Thornbuckers were in the LP things may be different, but they're not, and those pickups are simply unbeatable to my ear. I keep saying it, but the split coil tone may be my favorite single coil tone too. I know that sounds like blasphemy, but you simply need to hear them for yourselves. As much as I want an LP I have zero need for it. I can't even fathom a time when I'd chose it over the ASAT. The LP would simply be a nice piece of art hanging on the wall.

This ASAT has essentially ruined by quest for keepers experiment. My motivation to even try new guitars fading. I'm even now questioning whether my other keepers are actually keepers. I may have found my personal holy grail guitar!

Tue May 14, 2019 7:39 pm

As I wrap up my experiment there are a few more guitars I'm interested in trying, but not sure which one to target first. Which would you suggest I try...vintage F-100, Legacy Special, or a Doheny. I think the Doheny would offer a unique tone, the Legacy Special looks cool :) , and I love all the switches on the F-100. I've considered tracking down an S-500 with the MFD, however I haven't bonded with the ASAT variation, and already have the S3 so it might be a bit redundant. Anyway, I'm open to suggestions and value the communities input.

Tue May 14, 2019 7:58 pm

I'd look for a nice F-100. I have an S-500 and it is the favorite of my Strat type guitars.

Tue May 14, 2019 9:20 pm

Go for a Doheny V12. My first G&L is my 2003 S-500 , the MFD's shine with the PTB system.

Tue May 14, 2019 9:30 pm

glvourot wrote:Go for a Doheny V12. My first G&L is my 2003 S-500 , the MFD's shine with the PTB system.

I would love to get a Doheny V12...but I hate vibratos. I've tried to like them, but I really prefer everything bolted down with zero extra movement.

I forgot to add the Comanche to the list. That seems like a quintessential G&L if there ever was one. However...the S-500 recommendations are very intriguing.

Wed May 15, 2019 6:42 am

I’d like to hear your thoughts on the Legacy Special when compared to the ASAT Deluxe/Thornbucker guitar you have.

(I have and really like both the Legacy Special and the S500.)

Wed May 15, 2019 7:33 am

I have seen Comanches with saddle lock bridge. IMHO Comanche is g&l’s best performance guitar.
I would bet you could order a doheny with slb but would have to verify

Wed May 15, 2019 8:30 am

I believe you can get any G&L vibrato guitar with a saddle lock bridge if ordered new. I have enough challenges playing without adding a vibrato to the mix. I had the bridge on my Fender Strat blocked, so now I play just like Eric Clapton :lol:. My S-500 has the DFV and I have found that it pretty much stays in tune even with reasonable string bending.

Wed May 15, 2019 12:37 pm

drjho7 wrote:I have seen Comanches with saddle lock bridge. IMHO Comanche is g&l’s best performance guitar.
I would bet you could order a doheny with slb but would have to verify

They're definitely out there; I resisted bidding on one the other day (hardtail Doheny.) I think the DFV is worth having at least one of, considering how great they feel and how well they stay in tune - That said, there's always a place for a hardtail, and if I order almost any new G&L I'll pick that saddle lock. I have enough guitars with vibratos, and love the solid feel of the hardtail (but especially when it's also string through :D )

Wed May 15, 2019 1:16 pm

That’s one of the things that I like about my 1981 F100. It has the string through early version of the saddle lock bridge,
gives it better sustain.

Wed May 15, 2019 2:15 pm

I’m leaning towards an F-100 or a Comanche. I like the versatility of both guitars, and think both would be fun to try out. What is the F-100 neck like? I do not like thin necks and I’ve red some of the early G&Ls had very thin necks. From a keeper standpoint that would be a deal breaker.

Wed May 15, 2019 3:11 pm

Who am I kidding? I went all in with this experiment so I'm going to finish it the right way. I have a 1981 F-100 case queen on the way AND a hardtail Comanche. I'd rather experience them for myself, and if they're keepers awesome, if not at least I'll know.

I have reassessed my keepers. I'm now down to the following: ASAT Deluxe, ASAT Special 3, and the S-500 (with Fralins). Originally, I deemed the BSB Legacy pictured earlier in this thread as a keeper, but I simply prefer my S-500. I prefer the Fralins over the Lollars, the Classic C over the Slim C, and much prefer the hardtail over the tremolo. One guitar I wish I spent more time with is the red ASAT Classic pictured above. My first USA ASAT. That guitar was pretty awesome. I loved the color, the binding, and the tummy cut. I had a feeling I would regret letting it go, and now I kind of do. I've tried several ASATs and haven't found another that felt and sounded quite like that one. Mistakes and memories made...

Wed May 15, 2019 8:35 pm

The neck of my '81 F-100 is relatively slender. I imagine they probably made more than one type of neck then.
It is very comfortable to play. You're right, there are lots of tonal possibilities with the splitter switch and the out of phase switch. The p'ups can be relatively bright for humbuckers in standard mode, but i think of the F-100 as mostly a relatively mellow guitar. With the coil splitter you would think more single coil like, but there's a change in the circuit that enhances the bass in that mode, giving it a more mellow character, but with better string clarity. It sounds unlike any other gtr I've ever played.

My comanche is a '13, and has a #1 classic C, which is chunky, but it has nice sustain and buttery notes, lots of great tones available from those 7 pickup combinations thru the ptb system. love it.
I really didn't appreciate how great the comanche is until i played some gigs with it and compared it to some other guitars, like a Fender usa strat and a Gibson SG. They are nice guitars but the comanche just blows them away. The z coil p'ups are relatively high output, yet no hum, overdrives a tube amp very nicely, and can be bright and edgy to mellow. You definitely do not want to dime the tone controls. I run mine at 5-7 each, depending on the song.

Thu May 16, 2019 4:00 am

Glad you went with both. I'd call the neck on my '83 F100 slightly thicker than the norm - it has substance/a solid feel but isn't noticeably oversized and has a flat profile perhaps close to what people call a D-shape. As for sound, my F100 is definitely on the mellow/heavy end (I use the bass PTB knob as-necessary.) Then again my guitar is mahogany and has the tone control active on the bridge position (unlike earlier models) so that might be why it alarms me when others describe their F100s as being 'bright.'

Thu May 16, 2019 7:35 am

You may want to try playing with pole piece height. I was surprised how Darrel was able to dial in tone much closer to a Tele by adjusting the pole pieces.

phpBB [video]

Cheers, Dan