G&L Tuning Keys

Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:46 pm

On my early 90's Legacy, I have a set of Sperzel brushed aluminum-looking keys. I want to upgrade to a set of their locking ones. Anyone know what size hole the G&Ls came with from the factory? I think the locking ones need a 3/8 hole. Will I have to drill it out or should the new set fit?

Re: G&L Tuning Keys

Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:49 pm

I cant say for certain but if the tuners on your guitar are Sperzels you might be in luck. I had to drill the hole out a bit to retrofit Sperzel locking tuners in my Classic - it came with the standard vintage tuners (which I don't like at all). You may have to drill an extra small hole as the locking tuners have a small piece to prevent them spinning in the hole for the post. You wont regret it, they make changing strings so much faster and the strings require a smaller settling in period due to the reduced number of winds required around the post.

Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:07 pm

My Sperzel non-lockers had the alignment/anchoring pin in what looks like the exact spot as the lockers. I'm looking at a Stewart-McDonald catalog at it shows the alignment pin's location horizontally centered at .265" and .120" down from the flat top on the machine. I'm of the impression that the lockers will go on with no modifications at all, Sperzel to Sperzel. I could be wrong, but I believe it to be the case. If you've got the non-lockers in hand, check those spec's to see if you'll be good to go. Good luck.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:28 am

I have replaced several G&L Sperzels with locking Sperzels and they are a direct drop in.-Darwin